Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• All-American

Re: The great Red Car conspiracy of Los Angeles: Is it real?

Anyone further interested in this subject should watch the documentary Taken for a Ride. This was required viewing for an urban planning course I took:

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I keep meaning to watch this link!

What amazes me is that The Red Car was one of many systems dismantled at the arrival of the automobile. I keep thinking about the Bamberger Railroad, a few Salt Lake City lines which like the Red Car died out once cars became widespread. Even stranger is how modern city planners are now building railroads, such as SLC's Trax or LA's Metro Rail.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    What amazes me is that The Red Car was one of many systems dismantled at the arrival of the automobile. I keep thinking about the Bamberger Railroad, a few Salt Lake City lines which like the Red Car died out once cars became widespread. Even stranger is how imodern city planners are now building railroads, such as SLC's Trax or LA's Metro Rail.
    .... on the old, abandoned right-of-ways!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    The conspiracy to shut down rail lines didn't happen. The transit companies were losing money and already switching to buses. The conspiracy was to ensure that those buses were the ones they were selling. What gets ignored is that many of the rail lines were operated by the local power company but this arrangement became illegal in the 1930s, so the rail lines were spun off to focus on the more profitable electricity production.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Also, never mentioned: Isn't it a fact that due to rationing the heavily used streetcars were not able to be maintained and replaced during the war years and by the time of the Postwar economic boom, when good American cars were readily available to the masses - the streetcars in service were looking their age.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I rode the Red Car Trolley at DCA this weekend for the first time: the whole length from the entrance to Hollywood Tower Hotel. The way it ends at a wooden gate, I kind of hope that "Sunset Blvd" gets expanded back to the remaining expansion pad. As it is, there's -nothing- else on Sunset Blvd except ToT and maybe you could count the Hyperion Theater. But no shops, restaurants or anything tying it together as a separate street - despite it being labeled as such on the street signs.

The corner of Hollywood and Sunset, by the way, isn't even in the historic core of Hollywood, it's got a Vons Supermarket at the intersection.

• Rock Star Minion

Hollywood and Sunset Blvds. are parallel through Hollywood.
    I wouldn't even consider their intersection to be part of "Hollywood." More like Los Feliz.
    According to LA Times, it is on the border of "Los Feliz" and "East Hollywood."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It's true, but Los Feliz has that old time Hollywood feel, hence Los Feliz Five and Dime on Buena Vista Street (which technically is in Burbank, and the real thing has no old time Hollywood feel).

I live blocks from Hollywood and Sunset.

• Rock Star Minion

And you're still alive today???
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Yes, but the LA Red Cars are dead. Too bad, they used to be all over the neighborhood.

• Rock Star Minion

They seem kind of slow. Today's light rail can actually beat traffic. That's why I take it from NoHo to downtown for Kings games.
    (The $10 parking in a lot or risking parking on the street helps the decision as well.)

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Just as a matter of technicality: The Red/Purple line trains are "Heavy Rail Subway" compared to "Light Rail" which can be grade-separated or work as a streetcar.

The phrase light rail was coined in the 1970s during the re-emergence of streetcars/trams with more modern technology. It was devised in 1972 by the U.S. Urban Mass Transportation Administration (UMTA) to describe new streetcar transformations which were taking place, and was a translation of the German word stadtbahn. However, instead of the literal translation of city rail, the UMTA used light rail instead.[12] In general, it refers to streetcar/tram systems with rapid transit-style features. It is named to distinguish it from heavy rail, which refers to rapid transit systems as well as heavier regional rail/intercity rail.

Passenger rail terminology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a really common mistake!

A heavy rail system is an electric railway with the capacity to handle a heavy volume of traffic.[1] The term is often used to distinguish it from light rail systems, which usually handle a smaller volume of passengers.

In North America, heavy rail can also refer to rapid transit, when referring to systems with heavier passenger loadings than light rail systems,[14] but distinct from commuter rail and intercity rail systems. It is characterized by high-speed, passenger rail cars running in separate rights-of-way from which all other vehicular and foot traffic are excluded.[15]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123