Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Re: Guests behaving badly on rides

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Brunswick View Post
    While obviously not a personal experience, these people would definitely get my vote for the Darwin Award.

The part that infuriates me most about this video is the "We got caught not wearing our seat belts, lol" at the end. I wonder if these dopes would be laughing out loud had their heads hit the metal ceiling of the ride vehicle. They'd probably sue the park and get a big settlement, despite the overwhelming amount of evidence against them.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    And it's not just Disney...we see the same thing at Knott's. And trust me, alot of their clientele is much worse than Disney's due to the low cost of entry/AP's. But that's a whole other discussion.
    Excuse me?

I've been going to Knotts all my life and I love it just as much as I do Disneyland. And the guests at Knotts are NOT worse than Disneyland's. if anything they are the same. In fact it can be argued that Knotts guests are in fact smarter because they know that they get more bang for their buck on admission fees, as compared to Disneyland which charges increasingly exorbitant prices yet continually offers less for the experience. As a lifelong local, please give Knotts some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Excuse me?

I've been going to Knotts all my life and I love it just as much as I do Disneyland. And the guests at Knotts are NOT worse than Disneyland's. if anything they are the same. In fact it can be argued that Knotts guests are in fact smarter because they know that they get more bang for their buck on admission fees, as compared to Disneyland which charges increasingly exorbitant prices yet continually offers less for the experience. As a lifelong local, please give Knotts some respect.
    I've been going to both Knott's and Disneyland for around 42 years so I have far greater respect for both parks than you know so please don't assume that I don't. As such, I'm able to form my own opinion whether you agree with it or not. My wife, completely unsolicited, said the exact same thing.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    I don't think Disney should E-Stop rides when people purposely undo their harnesses (like the genius did on Silly Symphony Swings on Saturday). If they die, it's their own fault and you really shouldn't impact other guests just because one person is a complete idiot.
    I'm pretty sure a body flying through the air could literally impact other Guests. That kind of precaution is for everyone's safety.

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    I think most of us have seen this article on Wikipedia but here it is:
    Incidents at Disneyland Resort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Many of the incidents that occurred were guests caused. Some of these people I don't feel sorry for.
    On February 18, 2012, a 53-year old man was allegedly drunk and proceeded to attack a cast member right at the entrance gate of the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror around 3:30pm. The cast member pepper-sprayed the man multiple times prompting him to continue fighting and was subdued by other guests before security stepped in to handle the situation. Details on what actually started the fight remains unknown. The man was eventually removed from the park and charged with assault and battery by Anaheim police. The incident was filmed via camera phone and uploaded to YouTube.

And on top of it, this doofus skipped bail and failed to show up for his court date.

• Senior Minion

And on top of it, this doofus skipped bail and failed to show up for his court date.
    That incident at the Tower of Terror (and DLR security's response to it) was the subject of a lengthy thread last year.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disneyland Nomad

I hope they catch him and throw his .... in jail. Shame on him.
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The Beatles

I've been lucky to not encounter any really terrible behavior like some people here have described. I think making a point of avoiding the busiest times does help.

I just got back from the parks, actually. One of the things that continually baffles me is how some people have no idea how to move in a crowd. Stopping in the middle of the walkways, backing up against the flow, come on people.

I've scolded people/kids who were cursing loudly. I'm prone to let out a four-letterer occasionally but DL is one place where I actively make a point not to.

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I've seen the run-of-the-mill idiot-ness (line jumping, flash pictures, kids/teens acting up), but luckily not the egregious things some people have mentioned in this thread. I guess I've just been fortunate (or oblivious, more than likely!!).

I just really feel for the CMs. Damned if they do (eject the fools and risk management 'displeasure' for possible bad PR/lawsuits) and damned if they don't (thus risking complaints to City Hall and, again, management 'displeasure' for not enforcing the rules). It's easy enough when they just say "We don't do that here, please stop" & the person stops, but the problem is it seems these days that the people who commit the most outrageous stunts (or their parents) are the ones who yell the loudest and sue the fastest. It would be interesting to know what the steps are for a guest to be ejected & how/if management does or does not back up the CMs who try to eject people from the park for a valid reason. I mean, I doubt if CM X can just kick someone out of the park on their own, there must be a 'process' to be followed.

All in all, I'm glad that these incidents still seem to be the minority of guest behavior. The vast majority of us just want to have a good time and do our best to 'behave'.
    I know this all too well now...Gotten a verbal warning because I received 2 complaints in one week because I choose to stand up for a family who had an issue with a rude group (I will not go into details regarding the situation for now). The other was fastpass related and involved a rude guest as well who choose to heckle me and my fellow CM which was something I'm used to but once he stepped in to harass guests who I was trying to help, then I got mad. Eventually he left but was already yelling out as he left that he's going to complain about me. but In both situations I knew I wasn't going to win so I did what I believed was right...I got a guest compliment from said family I helped but a day later got 2 complaints from both incidents. It really is a damned if I do or not. Long story short, I lost a privileged title I had but I still feel I was right in helping a family...and I will just bide my time in hopes I can gained what I was stripped of...

...As I see it
    Last edited by Infernoman; 04-13-2013 at 03:11 AM.

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Infernoman View Post
    I know this all too well now...Gotten a verbal warning because I received 2 complaints in one week because I choose to stand up for a family who had an issue with a rude group (I will not go into details regarding the situation for now). The other was fastpass related and involved a rude guest as well who choose to heckle me and my fellow CM which was something I'm used to but once he stepped in to harass guests who I was trying to help, then I got mad. Eventually he left but was already yelling out as he left that he's going to complain about me. but In both situations I knew I wasn't going to win so I did what I believed was right...I got a guest compliment from said family I helped but a day later got 2 complaints from both incidents. It really is a damned if I do or not. Long story short, I lost a privileged title I had but I still feel I was right in helping a family...and I will just bide my time in hopes I can gained what I was stripped of...

...As I see it

I'm so sorry that happened to you!! But it serves as a reminder to us to remember to go to City Hall and give the great CMs who make our day the 'atta-boys -girls' they deserve. People are quick to complain, but unfortunately not so quick to compliment. Plus the fact that people file (IMHO) bogus complaints just because they didn't get their way & just want to hit back at the CM who was just doing their job.

Unfortunately, I think many of us (me included) don't want to take the time out of our fun day 'just' to pay a compliment & think 'I'll do it later'. Then by the time we head back down Main St we're too tired or it's too busy for us to take the time to pay the compliment. Shame on us, since we know that the 'complainers' sure made a bee line to complain. To head some people off, I know that not all complaints are bogus, sometimes bad situations happen & need to be dealt with.

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea for compliment sheets to be kept at places around the park, not just at City Hall (if they are, I didn't know it). I think more people would do them if they could get one right away.

Maybe next time I go, I'll drop by City Hall & ask for 1/2 dozen to just carry with me. I know I will meet at least that many AMAZINGLY NICE CMs during a typical day.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• is poppin' tags

I have my own line-jumper story to share. We were in a mildly short queue for the Maliboomer (Oh. I loved that ride) My husband and my little brother were with me and we had gone on it about 3 times. The wait was literally 5 minutes or less. We were rounding back in to go for another trip and this herd of tweens decide to start running to "beat" us to the front. Normally, I don't care about this crap. 2 of them made it past us and got to the front without touching me or whatever...but it was the 3 other ones that really fueled my fire! Since their buddies has staked a claim in front of us, they thought that they should all get to join up together. And they began trying to creep past me when I shifted my stance to not let them through. I held onto the railing and one of them physically begins shoving against my arm!! I hissed at her to not "effing touch me" all the while she was whining and complaining to the kids in front of me. She even hollered for her mother (who was waiting at the entrance) to come defend her!!! Her mother came over and I attempted to explain to her that her children were trying to shove me and were being very rude and they need to wait in line like everyone else...bla bla bla. She stared at me blankly and then started to talking to her daughter in Spanish. The people behind me were irritated and the kids behind ducked down under the railing, walked up to their buddies in front and cut back under. So, I (and the exasperated couple behind me) start shouting for a CM and pointing t the brats. They ALL had to leave and I very smugly high-fived the lady behind me. Just a word to bratty line-cutters: Do NOT physically touch me. It makes me even angrier than the cutting does!
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

...As I see it
    Would it help for guests to write a note saying we appreciate cast members who protect us and preserve the comfort of our visit by keeping up the standards of good behavior? As a guest... I don't think I should have to step in in a situation that effects the expected experience or might result in injury (have seen several), having to speak to people taking flash pictures in dark rides or pushing in line, or running (into us)... The problem is the more Disney allows bad behavior the worse behavior will become.
    We were in Small World, a guy in the boat was jumping in and out of the boat and walking along the side... my concern, he might very easily have fallen against another guest injuring them or pushing them into the water.
    I used to think Disney was watching, keeping guests safe in potentially dangerous conditions, it seems they are not.

I've told cast members who were dealing with a bad guest my name and told them if they have a problem with the situation to have their supervisor call me.
    One was a cast member at the gate dealing with a woman who wanted to take her kids in free, claiming they were far younger than they clearly were.... how do the many who budget to pay admission feel when the see someone pull this?
    But too often I've seen cast members looking the other way when guests were being discomforted by rude behavior...
    Now I know why.

I suppose as customers or as guests our perspective is different than "management"

I've wondered if the solution to thoughtless guests is to pull the guest aside and talk to them for a really long time... most people will correct a behavior if there is a price for it. Standing listening to a long lecture, losing time in the park... stops short of throwing them out but will make them uncomfortable.

Disney is an extensive operation with some of the most creative minds anywhere involved... it is hard to imagine they cannot do better than this in setting up systems that deal with the new generation of children who have not been taught manners and older "kids" who think being rude is cool.

The sad thing is once they have taught the cast members to not be responsible and the guests to be irresponsible, the quality of the park experience will decay.

As a guest, I want someone who will step in to deal with rude guests.... I don't think I should have to and I don't want our visit dimmed by rude guests.
    Good fortune...
    Last edited by GwenRowan; 04-15-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: too long, typo

•   
    • Banned User

I know this all too well now...Gotten a verbal warning because I received 2 complaints in one week because I choose to stand up for a family who had an issue with a rude group

As a customer and a fellow fan of Disney in general, THANK YOU. I'm glad you took a stand for this. I'm also sorry to hear it's a damned-if-you-do-or-don't situation but I think I understand. If you haul a bad guest out then the good guests just silently approve and hope that all goes well. Meanwhile the bad guest will scream like a stuck pig and that's the only person management listens to. Imagine if the criminal justice system worked like that. What if criminals could complain about being arrested and get off of their charges because they didn't like being held accountable for their actions? Sadly, I've seen that actually happen before.

Since you're going to get a complaint one way or the other, I'm glad you made the choice that took a stand for good ethics. I hope your management will eventually understand that but knowing people and management in general, I'm guessing it never happens. You did the right thing. Thanks.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    Since you're going to get a complaint one way or the other, I'm glad you made the choice that took a stand for good ethics. I hope your management will eventually understand that but knowing people and management in general, I'm guessing it never happens. You did the right thing. Thanks.
    fifthrider put this perfectly - so I'll just say I completely agree.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

•   

Quote Originally Posted by GwenRowan View Post
    I've wondered if the solution to thoughtless guests is to pull the guest aside and talk to them for a really long time... most people will correct a behavior if there is a price for it. Standing listening to a long lecture, losing time in the park... stops short of throwing them out but will make them uncomfortable.
    Sadly enough, it's amazing how many people would rather stand and argue about their behavior than actually go out and have a great time in a Disney Park. This approach does work on more reasonable individuals though.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast