Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Guests behaving badly on rides

I am new, and I am SURE this has been discussed many times, but I wanted to share an experience and invite others to share theirs. This is a very specific badly-behaving guest thing: people who switch seats on moving ride vehicles or jump out of them onto the ride scenery. Last summer (2012), we were on POTC, in the front seat of a boat. In the rear seat of the boat in front of us sat three men--two young (20's) and one older (50's?). At first, the younger men were just standing up and switching sides of the boat. Then they started to jump out onto the islands and other ride scenery and take pictures of themselves. Then they would run ahead and jump back into the boat. The second time they did this, the ride stopped and a CM announced "Please remain in your seat. This ride is being monitored." I clapped. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I don't think they heard me. In any case, it was because I was with my 3 young children and we all had a front-row view of this and I was afraid the kids were going to witness an accident. I think the water is pretty shallow, but the boats are on tracks, right? Seems like you could get run over.
    When we docked, we saw a CM giving the guys a lecture. She was NOT HAPPY. But we all exited the ride together and the men were laughing and saying that it was great that they only got a lecture, because usually they would call security for that.
    Has anyone else seen this particular breed of guest? And what do you have to do to get banned from the park? My kids sure learned something from it!

• Evil is Sexy

Re: Guests behaving badly on rides

We had rude kids during a Star Tours ride. They were in our row, unsupervised for whatever reason. The moment they weren't picked to be the Rebel Spy, they started yelling at the screen and C3PO and cussing and basically being loud through the whole experiance. We reported them to a CM, only to watch the chuck their 3D glasses at another.

Luckily, their Mom was waiting for them in the gift shop and got to hear from my husband how rude they were. She thanked him and dragged them both off by their elbows.

(I would have gotten a public spanking, if I had done that.)

We were also on It's a Small World once and the CM kept coming over the PA system telling us to remain seated at all times. I don't know who they were referring to, but it got really annoying.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

When my family visited Disneyland last December there were some people on Pirates taking pictures using their camera flash. It was disruptive to see the camera go off every other minute.

Making it even worse is how I know all the pictures they took would have come out bad anyway; and if they modified the ISO and lens to get better pictures they would not have been using the camera flash.

• One Little Spark...

There will always be misbehaving people in any public setting. Especially if it's an international tourist destination. There's really nothing we can do about it. It's pointless reporting someone to a CM because they aren't going to do anything (unless it's something very serious). I believe it's best to try not to let them get to you and brush it off. In the end, we all feel entitled to the same thing... having fun.

• The doctor is in

It seems for some reason that POTC is the worst offender. When I rode in October I was stuck in front of this kid who looked about 7 or 8 years old and he kept taking flash pictures the whole ride. I turned around and asked them to stop and he kept doing it. I made another comment out loud and it wasn't until then that the kid's dad asked him to put the camera away. By then the ride was almost over. I was tempted to ask a CM if I could stay in the boat and ride again because the experience sucked, but I didn't. I just hopped back in line later in the day.
    I have also been on boats that have been stopped to warn guests to stay seated and/or stop taking flash photography.

I was also stuck on Big Thunder Railroad with a group of cussing, disorderly teenagers who were doing it both in line and on the ride itself.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Minion

ORWEN: Us Cauldron girls witness bad behavior from other guests all the time--and a lot of it comes from a certain nasty old biddy who just happens to be our sister. But when SHE'S not the one who's acting up, I've seen more bad behavior from other guests than I can shake a broom stick at!

ORDDU: Some of the bad things we've seen are when people are saving seats for their group to watch a parade and then another group comes along to gradually push them out of the way. There was a woman with her children who were saving a place for her husband after he returned with food and drinks. Another family came along and just squeezed regardless of how much the woman tried to explain that her husband would be returning and she needed to save a spot for him. The other family pretended not to even hear her as they talked over her and laughed loudly and some made up distraction.

ORWEN: When the woman's husband returned he was really mad at what these other people had done to his wife. Not only did they take his seat, but they had pretty much shoved the wife and children so close together there wasn't even enough room left for them to sit comfortably on the curb, let alone the returning husband. When the wife explained to her husband what had happened he tried to ask the other family to move around so he, too, could sit down. But they ignored him. He finally threatened to get security and that's when the family suddenly acknowledged the presence of the other family and they had the nerve to claim that THEY had been there first! A fight nearly erupted but then the parade started and we lost sight of what happened after that.

ORDDU: But it goes to show how selfish and inconsiderate this world has become.

ORWEN: I wanted to put a hex on the evil family so much--but we're not allowed to use our magic in your world...

• Certified in everything

These sorts of things have always bothered me too. I know people like to say "you can't let others ruin your experience", but I pay to see the expert lighting Disney Imagineers have spent countless hours crafting, not the set illuminated by a white flashbulb. The fact of the matter is that there is a line for "acceptable" guest behavior and many cross it.

A little off topic but I just returned from TDS and boy do they behave differently. For one, they were actually quiet in the Haunted Mansion elevator so we could hear the dialogue. Moreover, I don't think I saw one single flash picture taken on an attraction. They also all sat down from the parade so no views were block. I could go on and on... but in the end it just came down to cultural differences. There seemed to be a greater respect for the experiences of others.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Quote Originally Posted by DannyeF View Post
    I am new, and I am SURE this has been discussed many times, but I wanted to share an experience and invite others to share theirs. This is a very specific badly-behaving guest thing: people who switch seats on moving ride vehicles or jump out of them onto the ride scenery. Last summer (2012), we were on POTC, in the front seat of a boat. In the rear seat of the boat in front of us sat three men--two young (20's) and one older (50's?). At first, the younger men were just standing up and switching sides of the boat. Then they started to jump out onto the islands and other ride scenery and take pictures of themselves. (snip)
    I remember hearing about this incident, or a similar one at least. I wonder how often this happens.

Our trip was late Spring last year and we were in the parks for 5 days. There was a mother duck with her baby ducklings that were in the moat every morning. They also hung out between the castle and Pixie Hollow. On our 3rd or 4th day there was a little boy that couldn't have been older than 5 that was literally chasing after them and trying to stomp on them! His parents thought it was the funniest thing! Thankfully there was a CM nearby that didn't think it was so funny. She asked them to follow her and they went off towards Main Street. I was hoping they were thrown out.
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    These sorts of things have always bothered me too. I know people like to say "you can't let others ruin your experience", but I pay to see the expert lighting Disney Imagineers have spent countless hours crafting, not the set illuminated by a white flashbulb. The fact of the matter is that there is a line for "acceptable" guest behavior and many cross it.

A little off topic but I just returned from TDS and boy do they behave differently. For one, they were actually quiet in the Haunted Mansion elevator so we could hear the dialogue. Moreover, I don't think I saw one single flash picture taken on an attraction. They also all sat down from the parade so no views were block. I could go on and on... but in the end it just came down to cultural differences. There seemed to be a greater respect for the experiences of others.

These two are always the worst for us. Flashes going off on Pirates (really ruins the whole ride), and the dialog chanters in the Mansion (who are not impressing anyone, and really ruins it for first time visitors)

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    and the dialog chanters in the Mansion (who are not impressing anyone, and really ruins it for first time visitors)
    At least when I do it (HM is my favorite ride) I do it quietly to myself.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Disneyland Nomad

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post

We were also on It's a Small World once and the CM kept coming over the PA system telling us to remain seated at all times. I don't know who they were referring to, but it got really annoying.
    Haha, I wonder if they hit a wrong button.

Its a shame when this has to be the experience people can have, common courtesy goes out the window sometimes. We were waiting for the parade for awhile, and this family came up behind us and it was pretty crowded already and they tried to push themselves kids in front/side of us and another family (and practically into the street). I always feel like its a sticky situation because no I dont want want to be mean to a child, I have them myself... but Im not a fan of adults, who know there isnt space and still pull this. We've been waiting why do you last minute need to try and get in front of everyone..... Or when there maybe room for 2 people and a large group trys to fit there and then they end up sitting on you. I remember when there were gold cars on rides, and we saw other groups swear and fight one another for them... like the teacup, and jingles.
    "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

The Beatles

I had an experience like that with ONE particular family (Wife, husband, two teenage boys, a young girl * maybe 6*, and a younger boy *maybe 4*). We had run into this group like 3 times during the day. I almost thought they were stalking us. (LOL) Anyhoo, every time we saw them it was the same old story: kids climbing all over everything, taking flash pictures, cursing teenagers. Just flat out rude and inconsiderate entire group of people.

Now, to be fair, I've been known to have a short temper (especially when I was a young man), but in Disneyland I'm on my best behavior. I curse like a sailor IRL, but I (typically) don't even mutter a curse word under my breath in the parks (no need to spoil some one else' experience with my potty mouth).

The last time we encountered this family was while we were waiting for Fantasmic! My wife and daughter sat down to save our seats. My son (or daughter, I don't remember) and I went to get drinks for everyone so we set our hoodies down on the ground to save our place. We came back to see my wife with her finger in "Mom's" face and our hoodies kicked out of the way. Obviously I walk up and ask what's going on. "Mom" proceeds to tell me that my wife wasn't "allowed" to hold our spot and that her family was taking the space (along with another couples' who were also saving spots). I had had it at that point. I told "Daddy" to get his wife under control and get out of our spots or we were both leaving the park. Him on a stretcher and me in a cop car. Regrettably, there were several F-bombs included in my confrontation with "Daddy" (actually not a confrontation at all since he was quick to get his wife out of there and didn't offer much argument). I hope no little kids heard me (I can't be certain), but I did get three "Thank You's" and a round of hot cocoa for my family from another group.

I don't feel (and didn't then) like any type of hero but I had COMPLETELY had it with that family and enough was enough. There really needs to be a way CMs can rid the park of that type of garbage without fear of losing their jobs. They have NO support from upper management with those type of people sometimes.

Once when my two daughters and I were on SM a group of teenage boys who were in the front car were spitting for the entire ride so everyone behind them got peppered with spit. As soon as they got out of the cars, they ran away laughing about it.

In another incident, my family and I were riding in the back of the train while a man and his 9 or 10 year old son were scattering some cremains out the side of the train one row up from us. Trouble is, the wind caught the ashes and again, we were peppered. Just like the SM spitters, the dad and son jumped off the train at the next stop and booked out of there quick before we could even think about finding a CM.

]

Not a single incident, but it drives me nuts when we're on the Haunted Mansion and people are texting in Madame Leota's room. I don't really understand why people do this on rides after waiting in line.

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by jenpace View Post
    Once when my two daughters and I were on SM a group of teenage boys who were in the front car were spitting for the entire ride so everyone behind them got peppered with spit. As soon as they got out of the cars, they ran away laughing about it.

In another incident, my family and I were riding in the back of the train while a man and his 9 or 10 year old son were scattering some cremains out the side of the train one row up from us. Trouble is, the wind caught the ashes and again, we were peppered. Just like the SM spitters, the dad and son jumped off the train at the next stop and booked out of there quick before we could even think about finding a CM.

Wow, weird stuff.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast