Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: What's Something Missing From Main Street U.S.A.?

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    The way the alley looks is of far less concern to me than the way the alley would affect the impact of walking up Main Street towards the rest of the park. As I mentioned about, the physical bottleneck of Main Street plays an important thematic function in and of itself. The physical layout of Main Street is just as important is its aesthetics.

I would be okay with the back alley if it were themed appropriately and *only* used in overflow situations (after parades, fireworks, etc.) That way it helps guests move through the park at times of high traffic while maintaining the Main Street funnel when those alleys are not needed.

The entrance & exits to the west-side alley were pretty unobtrusive & off to the side. Even if they were 'prettied up' and used as a 'regular' walkway (themed, of course) I don't think they would impinge on the visual 'flow' of Main St to the Castle, since that's what your eyes are drawn to by line of sight as you exit the tunnels.

I remember thinking that either a themed alley or shady plant-scaped arcade with some benches could be a nice 'quiet place' to relax out of the sun during a busy day as well as a way to bypass Main St for those 'in a hurry' or not of a mind to shop.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Discovery and Liberty Arcades, just like at Paris. They are beautiful and relieve lots of crowd pressure. I think Disneyland could pull off a smaller version.

• formerly very helpful

I really do understand the necessity for such walkways, but as much as they would alleviate a lot of logistical problems it would cause all sorts of thematic problems.

The way Main Street works right now is perfect from a theme perspective. You emerge from under the train station into a picture perfect recreation of the town square in a turn-of-the-20th-century American town. As you approach Main Street you see a castle off in the distance, and at the end of Main Steet everything opens up revealing pathways to lands of Adventure, Fantasy, Tomorrow, and the American Frontier.

Adding side streets or other walkways takes away from that perfect lead-in to the park. Like I said, from a perspective of pure logistics it makes a lot of sense, but from the perspective of theme it would be a rather unfortunate addition.
    I agree that the theme as it's designed is wonderful, but the cold, hard truth is come evening, with everyone waiting for fireworks until much later at night, Main Street becomes an absolute nightmare in regards to crowds. Something must be done. I have, on occasion been ushered backstage. That's much worse for the show than an arcade/alley which would be designed to look like it fit in the theme.

between 9 and 10, Main Street and the hub are total madness. Every single night. World Wars have been started over less.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Bring back the Main Street Electrical Parade.

• Banned User

The way the alley looks is of far less concern to me than the way the alley would affect the impact of walking up Main Street towards the rest of the park. As I mentioned about, the physical bottleneck of Main Street plays an important thematic function in and of itself. The physical layout of Main Street is just as important is its aesthetics.

I would be okay with the back alley if it were themed appropriately and *only* used in overflow situations (after parades, fireworks, etc.) That way it helps guests move through the park at times of high traffic while maintaining the Main Street funnel when those alleys are not needed.
    You actually want to force people to walk down Main Street to create a bottleneck?!? I don't get why you'd be upset if some guests decided to explore the alley on their way to the hub, I guess because you'd think Main Street wouldn't look festive enough?

I don't agree (or understand) when you say that the bottleneck of Main Street is an 'important thematic function' as guests walking down Main Street during light crowds have a good time, heck I'd prefer to stroll down Main when it isn't mobbed! Adventureland has a bottleneck which makes the area look packed like some developing countries, but I don't think that was the intent with Disneyland. Main Street handles a lot more traffic than it did opening day, and more traffic likely than Walt ever anticipated.

I think if you're going to make a general statement about thematic function of the park with respects to walk-way layouts you need to some 'splaining! Otherwise it sounds just like personal preference, conjecture, or just a desire for nothing to be changed.

The alley idea is that it would be gorgeously themed, plenty of nice details . . . Disneyland has a lot of choose your own adventure type pathways, an alley would be a nice choice, though obviously 80% to 90% of guests wouldn't notice the alley, and if they did, they'd choose to walk down Main Street as it has the ultimate weenie.

In terms of crowd control, there are times before dusk/fireworks/parades when guests are going into Disneyland and Main Street foot traffic is inching along, so, definitely a need to keep the alley open with the rest of the park (if they do it), doubt they would open and close it if it is beautifully done.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 04-04-2013 at 11:44 PM.

• Banned User

The way Main Street works right now is perfect from a theme perspective. You emerge from under the train station into a picture perfect recreation of the town square in a turn-of-the-20th-century American town. As you approach Main Street you see a castle off in the distance, and at the end of Main Steet everything opens up revealing pathways to lands of Adventure, Fantasy, Tomorrow, and the American Frontier.

Adding side streets or other walkways takes away from that perfect lead-in to the park. Like I said, from a perspective of pure logistics it makes a lot of sense, but from the perspective of theme it would be a rather unfortunate addition.
    So you're saying guests who take the alley would be "robbed" of a view of walking down Main Street proper and seeing the castle?

You forget that the alley would connect via the side street with Main Street proper, giving guests a choice of walking down Main Street proper as they'd see the other guests! Plus at the end of the day they would probably walk down Main Street proper anyway just to explore different stuff. And first time guests entering Disneyland would have an obvious choice of walking down the alley or the street as by the time you walk around towards where the alley is you'd see the street.

It could be just as magical to explore a well-done alley and emerge at the hub and see the castle for the first time, and then explore Main Street proper on the way out.

If anything an alley would make Main Street seem more real, rather than just a big fancy outdoor mall themed on the outside to look like a turn of the century town.

I think that most first time visitors would take Main Street and us regulars would use the alley if it was too crowded. No one would be forced to use the Alley. I think it would be a great option as I can't stand getting stuck in a slow moving crowd...

• Filmmaker

I concede that the crowding issue is a significant problem, and the alleys/arcades/whatever are probably the best way to solve this problem. And yes, most guests will still choose to go up Main Street as is traditional. However, I still think having several branching paths to travel along Main Street chips away at part of the brilliant design of that part of the park.

As I said before, Main Street is almost like a series of curtains opening before a theatrical production; the archway under the trainstation is the first curtain opening up to reveal Main Street. The second curtain is Main Street itself and the way it gives you only a small glimpse of the rest of the park before opening up into Central Plaza.

Like I said, it may very well be a necessary change, but I still think it's an unfortunate change.

• curiouser and curiouser

Ok, despite the fact that it's set in England, I'd still love to see a Mary poppins attraction in Main Street. I have no clue as to where the show building would actually fit, but still.

How about a real barber shop like they have at WDW. Could possibly be built across from the mad hatter shop where Hills Bros Cafe once was.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If they do bring back the barber shop, it'll be a Fantastic Sam's.

I like the idea of the "alley" very much. It sounds like it would help with crowd control immensely. For that same reason I understand why characters cannot hang out on Main Street -- traffic is bad enough without added attractions!

Personally I almost always take the train to another land upon first arrival and leave Main Street for another part of the day...
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

•   
    • Minion

I also think an alley (or two) would be a welcome addition to Main Street. You really can't appreciate it when you're trapped in such a dense crowd that you are nearly having a panic attack. Having more pathways through the Main Street area would relieve congestion AND, if they are imaginative, give them a chance to add some special shops or features to increase the overall ambiance. It would be cute to see a fake hotel, as mentioned, or some trade shops, like a tailor or blacksmith.

I agree, some period characters would be a brilliant edition. For me, the Main Street Cinema and the vehicles are the best part of part of Main Street. These attractions allow for more than a passive stroll, you're able to engage in an experience. Due to the limited space and the numerous attractions already there, (the train, Opera House, Dapper Dans, Main Street band, etc) I don't know that another attraction is the answer. But why not add those small, magical details that sets Disney apart? Someone previously mentioned a publication like the Buena Vista Bugle. Perfect! Why not a few period performers catching rides on the vehicles? Switching up the offerings at the Cinema? Scaling back the merchandise in the Penny Arcade (just a smidge) to make room for some more penny machines? Small adjustments can go along way to perpetuating atmosphere.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast