Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

What's Something Missing From Main Street U.S.A.?

I'll go first, I would love either an apartment/room that is built and able to be toured. Almost like this is what it would be like to live on Main Street U.S.A. Or maybe a hotel outershell structure. You know, not an actual hotel but the appearance of one. Cast members playing along how it is impossible to book and how it has been booked for years. Even have characters rushing to check into a room passing people to the front desk aka the cash register of a shop.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• New Member Goes Forth

Re: What's Something Missing From Main Street U.S.A.?

Nice idea, maybe you need to ork for immagineering...
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

How about having charcters like they have in Buena Vista Street, for guests to interact with?

• "I don't like the color"

International and Liberty streets.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• formerly very helpful

I like the idea of streetmosphere characters to bring more life to the area. Without mentioning specifics, I think another atraction would be appreciated. But it would have to be something a little low key. NOT a massive E ticket thrill ride or something that would be intrusive. It would have to add to the life of the street. Exactly what? I don't know.
    I like the idea of an apartment to tour. Perhaps it could be done like Carousel of Progress, where the family shows off the "new and advanced" technology of 1900.

• -

Maybe they should add a penny arcade.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• formerly very helpful

I know this has been discussed, but a walkway behind the buildings to help alleviate the MASSIVE foot traffic, especially at parade and firework times. Of course, this must be completely themed to compliment the Main Street motif.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalJenn View Post
    How about having charcters like they have in Buena Vista Street, for guests to interact with?
    I love the BVS citizens. Main Street would look great with a cop walking around.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I know this has been discussed, but a walkway behind the buildings to help alleviate the MASSIVE foot traffic, especially at parade and firework times. Of course, this must be completely themed to compliment the Main Street motif.
    I really do understand the necessity for such walkways, but as much as they would alleviate a lot of logistical problems it would cause all sorts of thematic problems.

The way Main Street works right now is perfect from a theme perspective. You emerge from under the train station into a picture perfect recreation of the town square in a turn-of-the-20th-century American town. As you approach Main Street you see a castle off in the distance, and at the end of Main Steet everything opens up revealing pathways to lands of Adventure, Fantasy, Tomorrow, and the American Frontier.

Adding side streets or other walkways takes away from that perfect lead-in to the park. Like I said, from a perspective of pure logistics it makes a lot of sense, but from the perspective of theme it would be a rather unfortunate addition.

• Evil is Sexy

I thought they have a hotel facade. It's over by the fruit cart.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    I really do understand the necessity for such walkways, but as much as they would alleviate a lot of logistical problems it would cause all sorts of thematic problems.

The way Main Street works right now is perfect from a theme perspective. You emerge from under the train station into a picture perfect recreation of the town square in a turn-of-the-20th-century American town. As you approach Main Street you see a castle off in the distance, and at the end of Main Steet everything opens up revealing pathways to lands of Adventure, Fantasy, Tomorrow, and the American Frontier.

Adding side streets or other walkways takes away from that perfect lead-in to the park. Like I said, from a perspective of pure logistics it makes a lot of sense, but from the perspective of theme it would be a rather unfortunate addition.
    I would love to see a Main Street alley behind the eastside of Main Street, Al Lutz hinted about such a project. If it was (and probably would be) themed to be the back sides of the stores (think of bags of coffee beans behind Starbucks), and if there was more rural looking elements, like a wooden fence on one side, show plants made to look like "weeds" around Mater's, then I think it would compliment Main Street perfectly as real turn of the century main streets did have alleys.

I'd be really surprised if somebody didn't think that the turn of the century alley didn't fit. They could even do away with the curbs and use mud color concrete with stones embedded in it.

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Maybe they should add a penny arcade.
    x2!
    For the love of Disney....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I would love to see a Main Street alley behind the eastside of Main Street, Al Lutz hinted about such a project. If it was (and probably would be) themed to be the back sides of the stores (think of bags of coffee beans behind Starbucks), and if there was more rural looking elements, like a wooden fence on one side, show plants made to look like "weeds" around Mater's, then I think it would compliment Main Street perfectly as real turn of the century main streets did have alleys.

I'd be really surprised if somebody didn't think that the turn of the century alley didn't fit. They could even do away with the curbs and use mud color concrete with stones embedded in it.
    We were directed 'back stage' to the west side (jungle cruise side, I think that's west) to exit after the fireworks. I can see where it would be possible to 'fix up' that area as either a themed alley or as a plant-scaped 'arcade' to be used as an 'expressway' for people to bypass Main St. Maybe not a 'stop and look' area, but just an alternative exit.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Johnny and Me!

How about a newspaper to complement the Buena Vista Bugle?

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post

The way the alley looks is of far less concern to me than the way the alley would affect the impact of walking up Main Street towards the rest of the park. As I mentioned about, the physical bottleneck of Main Street plays an important thematic function in and of itself. The physical layout of Main Street is just as important is its aesthetics.

I would be okay with the back alley if it were themed appropriately and *only* used in overflow situations (after parades, fireworks, etc.) That way it helps guests move through the park at times of high traffic while maintaining the Main Street funnel when those alleys are not needed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast