Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

A Mary Poppins ride?

I was watching Mary Poppins yesterday (my favorite all time movie, ever) and I was wondering why a ride wasn't made for this movie. I guess it wouldn't really fit into Fantasyland though, because all those rides are based on cartoons. Where would it fit? Maybe not anywhere? It would be fun to have a ride based on the movie though. I wonder what would be in it?

Hmmmm...a live stage show would be really neat too.

• Huh?

Re: A Mary Poppins ride?

Best fit would be in Epcot...

But if it were to go in DL, no other choice but to put it in Frontierland. There's no other place than that where it would fit perfectly.
    -Tim

• Minion

I wonder if they hold the rights at this point? I know they can use Mary Poppins characters in the parks and parades, but the Practically Perfect Tea a few years ago went out of their way to avoid the using the name Mary Poppins in advertising (and then disappeared completely), and of course the sequel and stage rights were retained by PL Travers, hence the current Broadway incarnation in association with Cameron Macintosh. But since Mary and Bert appear in the Great Movie Ride at WDW, Disney may well have negotiated the theme park rights too - or maybe that was a one-shot deal?

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by viewaskewniverse
    I was watching Mary Poppins yesterday (my favorite all time movie, ever) and I was wondering why a ride wasn't made for this movie. I guess it wouldn't really fit into Fantasyland though, because all those rides are based on cartoons. Where would it fit? Maybe not anywhere? It would be fun to have a ride based on the movie though. I wonder what would be in it?

Hmmmm...a live stage show would be really neat too.
    I think the best spot would be on Main Street. That is where I see the character often. But who knows where it would good. Maybe (I'm forgetting at the moment) at the place next to the Adventureland entrance. They used to do the AP Processing there but not anymore. Do they actually do anything inside that building anymore?

• Disneyland Freak

It would be neat if you sat on Carousel horses and go through an immersive darkride where you enter one of Bert's paintings.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• Master of Disaster

better question...

how many disney movies are based in europe?
    why not give them thier own little land area or something.

• Minion

>>how many disney movies are based in europe?
    why not give them thier own little land area or something.<<

Hey - - We could call it... Fantasyland!

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

I think a Mary Poppins ride was being planned for WDW's Fantasyland while it was being developed. It got scrapped along the way for some reason, I don't remember why, along with all of the other original idea meant for Disney World.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by dlfreak
    It would be neat if you sat on Carousel horses and go through an immersive darkride where you enter one of Bert's paintings.
    Tony Baxter thought so, too.

That's why he included the attraction proposal in his portfolio, when he applied to Imagineering, back in the sixties.

• ...TWO BITS!

How about instead of riding hroses, people could ride those caroussel benches that are on the ride/ near the horses. It's actaully the open air cars you ride Casey Jr. train. It's still related to the caroussel theme...

There was either a rumor or thought that a Mary Poppins ride would go where Mickey's Toontown is now.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Quote Originally Posted by jepple
    I think a Mary Poppins ride was being planned for WDW's Fantasyland while it was being developed. It got scrapped along the way for some reason, I don't remember why, along with all of the other original idea meant for Disney World.
    Yes, I read that too. It was supposed to be a completely different Fantasyland apart from having a Carousel, Alice's Tea Party, and it's a small world. They were going to have a Sleeping Beauty ride through, Ichabod Crane ride (or was that Liberty Square?), and the Mary Poppins Jolly Holliday as it was.

Although it would be another addition, I couldn't see it in Frontierland (??) or Main Street USA as other users said.

• Minion

The Fantasyland dark rides listed on an early Walt era map for Magic Kingdom at WDW included: Mary Poppins, Sleeping Beauty, Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Babes in Toyland. Man, I'd love to see all of those done!

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    I think the best spot would be on Main Street. That is where I see the character often. But who knows where it would good. Maybe (I'm forgetting at the moment) at the place next to the Adventureland entrance. They used to do the AP Processing there but not anymore. Do they actually do anything inside that building anymore?
    I have advocated in multiple posts the purchase of land behind the park to move facilities back further to open up some the area on the east side of Main Street in an entrance located at the current location of the lockers. There is plenty of space at the moment but the concern is that the land is open for the purpose of "corralling" the floats after the parade travels north to south. It waits in this area and returns south to north and parks in the back in a warehouse.

Now I believe with smart planning, excavation and land purchase - this is an ideal location for a "London Expansion" small Main Street side area with a Mary Poppins ride and a new inside theatre, so the land where the current FL theatre resides can be reclaimed for a Fantasyland expansion project.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    The Fantasyland dark rides listed on an early Walt era map for Magic Kingdom at WDW included: Mary Poppins, Sleeping Beauty, Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Babes in Toyland. Man, I'd love to see all of those done!
    Babes in Toyland? Interesting. Never heard that one. Don't know if it'd be a winner but I would have like the other three to come through. They were designed as counter parts to Disneyland's original 3 dark rides.
    Sleeping Beauty was to have been built instead of Snow White. I'd love a Sleeping Beauty ride. Mary Poppins was to have replaced Peter Pan, and Ichabod replacing Mr Toad.
    I'd have loved to see them, and maybe I'd have never known the difference but life seems like it wouldnt be the same without Pan and Mr Toad.

• All you need is LOVE

I Mary Poppins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast