Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Magic of Disney from other guests

So I recently started a thread about guests behaving badly at DLR and in there managed to share a story about other guests being awesome to my daughter! lol
    FolsomFan and CSei2011 were kind enough to say they liked the story, and FolsomFan wanted to hear more stories like that, as do I! So I said I would start a new thread about it. So this thread is about other guests showing us the magic of Disney! Here is my story:

We had the BEST experience with a couple of teenagers in the park last year--my daughter, R, collects stuffed Dumbos. She saves her allowance all year. We were walking through DLR and saw 2 teens with a Dumbo we hadn't seen before. We asked them about it and they explained you could get him at DCA on the boardwalk, but you had to play a game to do it. R was nervous because she didn't know if we could win the game (turns out it would have been fine, they are easy, but we didn't know). I was reassuring her that we would make it work somehow. The teens must have heard us as we were walking away, because they caught up with us and GAVE her the Dumbo! I pulled my wallet out and offered them the two 20's I had, but they would not take a thing. Talk about caring about other people's feelings. Those teens made the magic real for my little girl. She carried that Dumbo with her everywhere for the rest of the trip and still sleeps with it on her bed.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Magic of Disney from other guests

Nice idea. And I enjoyed that story too (the first time).

• Filmmaker

This isn't so much a story of something another guest did for me, but it's still one of my fondest Disney memories. A few years ago we were in line for Star Tours (the original version) and just behind us in line was a little girl and her grandfather. She looked as if she had just barely passed the height threshold for the ride and from the sounds of it it was her first time riding. We ended up being in different Starspeeders, but after the attraction she came running past us down the exit ramp to meet her mom waiting in the gift shop and the whole way she was excitedly exclaiming "Mom! Mom! Grandpa and I just went into SPACE!"

It melts my heart whenever I see someone who just completely gets swept away by the experience and abosultely buys every moment of it.

• Chief Troublemaker

I hope this thread takes off like 'that other one' did! It will be sad if we find that there are a lot more 'bad behavior' stories than 'guest magic' stories.

I don't have a huge one, like that wonderful Dumbo story (warmed the cockles of my heart, teens can be some of the sweetest, most thoughtful people), but there have been times where someone has let us go ahead of them in a line for no apparent reason. Occurrences of 'Hey, you dropped/forgot this'.

And last time we were there it was my first time seeing both WOC and Remember.. Dreams fireworks. Both times we were kinda standing there looking around for a good place to watch and total strangers motioned us over to where they were & said 'stand by us, this is a great viewing area'. They were right and we all shared a wonderful experience, smiled at each other, then went our separate ways.

It's not always big gestures that make big magic. Sometimes little acts of kindness can make big magic, too.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

I always try to be extra nice while I am in Disneyland in general and always make an effort to help people in small ways. For example helping people pick up things they have dropped. I once chased after a family from the hub into the back of Tomorrowland as I saw their camera had bounced out of their stroller.

But my one of my favorite magic experiences was one I shared with a young boy (he was around seven or so). It was both of our first time riding Soarin' and we were both a bit nervous (I hate flying and don't like situations where my feet dangle, but I was peer pressured into going on Soarin'). We did single rider and I ended up sitting next to this young boy and his family. He was nervous, but also super excited, and he started to talk to me. All throughout the ride we took turns pointing out things and saying how cool this and that was as well as a few screams as the ride moved. It made my experience much better as it saved me from just being terrified the whole ride and I it gave the boy someone to share his excitement with as his parents were very nice, but very quiet and not enthusiastic. It was really nice to get swept up in the attraction and share the moment with someone.

• world class bilge rat

I have to agree with a common thought in this thread; teens can be horrible or unbelievably cool. I think there are about 1000 good ones for every bad one.

Years ago, my late wife and I were at DL along with our two boys, 3 and 5. It was sort of crowded, but not horribly bad. We all wanted to ride the train around the park, but seats were somewhat scarce.

A couple of teens offered to move to a different car so we could all sit together.

Pretty cool; especially coming from an age group that has a less than stellar reputation.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Back when Star Tours 2.0 was in the testing phase/email invite pre-opening, we had passes and got to ride it about 3 times within our 'window' but also had a party give my friends and I their Fast Passes from their window just on a whim over by the machines as they wanted to see a show over in DCA and couldn't use them.

Small things like that always appreciated.

• Minion

One time after getting off BTMRR, a man said that someone left a wallet on the train, and it happened to be my wallet. Worried, I went over and retrieved it followed by being mocked by my annoying friends. I was so grateful he did that. Most people would have kept the wallet and all of its money inside.

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    One time after getting off BTMRR, a man said that someone left a wallet on the train, and it happened to be my wallet. Worried, I went over and retrieved it followed by being mocked by my annoying friends. I was so grateful he did that. Most people would have kept the wallet and all of its money inside.
    Not me. I was raised better than to keep something that was not mine and could be returned.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• formerly very helpful

A few years ago, I was with my then 7-year-old daughter. It was just the two of us. She really, really wanted to go on the Teacups, but I really, really have a problem with that ride and vomiting. However, being 7, she was old enough to go on by herself. As she waited in line, I watched from nearby to be sure she'd be ok. While in line, she began chatting with a lady in line in front of her, and the lady's little niece of about the same age. I thought it was great that these people were paying some attention to her and making sure she didn't get nervous being by herself. They then invited her to ride with them in their teacup. After the ride, she exited and ran right up to me, excited about her new friends who made it so she wouldn't have to ride alone. Disneyland can be hard for parents who are by themselves with a child, and it's nice that there were people who try to make things a little nicer for other guests. A little thing? Sure. But here we are, 3 years later, and we still remember it fondly.

I get very emotional during the holiday fireworks. I was tearing up in the "snow" when a complete stranger came up & told me it does the same thing to him, and gave me the biggest hug. That was my most memorable experience with another guest.

During my last trip, I was dancing my way out of the teacups, when I turned around and came face to face with a teenage boy doing the same. We both stopped & paused, as if checking to see if the other was mocking us, grinned ear to ear, and danced our way out together.

Disneyland makes people happy. I love being in a crowd of happy people.

I have a stuffed Dumbo story as well. It starts bad, but it gets better quickly and is spread across two years.

During our January 2011 visit, our stroller was stolen. My daughter was old enough that she barely fit in it, and we were going to get rid of it soon anyway, but it still bugs me. We lost some souvenirs and clothing we had left in it. On the plus side, it happened literally right before closing on the last day of a five-day visit, so at least it didn't taint our experience much in the end.

Anyway, the next day we were at lost and found hoping it had turned up. It hadn't, but one CM was really helpful and took a shine to my unhappy daughter, and she brought her a stuffed Dumbo from the back. She explained that they end up donating everything anyway if it's not claimed, and Dumbo was due to leave. They also allowed me back in the park to repurchase some souvenirs, so I was really grateful, and my daughter was happier.

Fast forward to March 2013. We were waiting in line at Goofy's Sky School, and a young lady -- maybe early 20s -- was holding exactly the same kind of Dumbo my daughter had been given two years prior. She had won it at one of the games at Paradise Pier, I guess, but she offered it to my daughter because, she said, she only plays for fun and not to win anything. My daughter explained that she already has one just like it and politely turned it down! Shortly thereafter the generous lady gave the Dumbo to a younger little girl, maybe four years old, who seemed happy to have it!

I love the Dumbo stories!! And all of these. Sometimes little things seem little but they make such a huge difference. And I must agree that finding a kindred soul at Disneyland is an unforgettable experience! People who are "into" the magic really do find each other, don't we? Thanks for all your stories, and I'd love to read more!

My son always enjoys checking out the pressed penny machine in the store at the end of Buzz. One day while he was turning the handle a young guy (early 20's) walked up a put in the quarters and the penny then turned around and gave the penny to my son and then walked away. My son was sooo excited.
    Visit the Hamand Family Blog to see what we've been up to. http://matthamand.blogspot.com

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Recently, a group of friends and I went to Disneyland to celebrate the life of a CM friend who had recently passed away, commited random acts of kindness by buying lucky guests balloons. My CM friend who worked in ODV and often selling balloons.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast