Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What the HECK happened to the dome projectors? (WoC)

Where are World of Color's dome projectors? I haven't seen them in a very LONG time. I read a thread from 2010 saying that the projectors were removed because of technical difficulties (water issues). Is been 1 1/2 + years since they disappeared. You would think Disney would bring them back because they don't look cheap in terms of cost. Would Disney bring them back? Or are they gone for good?
    Name:  walle098_large.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  118.3 KB

Re: What the HECK happened to the dome projectors? (WoC)

I got the impression that those projection spheres were to WoC what the AA Yeti was to "Expedition: Everest" at Animal Kingdom. Something that worked briefly during those first few days the show was running, and that were only seen(or in the Yeti's case, only seen operating properly)by those lucky few who caught the show early on. If there was no way to make them work properly, then they wouldn't have returned, regardless of what they originally cost.

I never liked them and i am happy to see them removed

They're gone for good. Apparently plastic and water don't mix. Usually if plastic is left for extended periods of time in water, it gets very brittle. I never really understood them myself. In some scenes like Wall-E, the globes did a great job. In others, they were quite redundant.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

I've always felt they took the cheap route on this. The domes made a big difference for the show and the Wall-E scene in particular was hurt by their absence. They were new technology developed for the show and they needed to take the time to sit it fixed and done properly. They are missed, but luckily the show has enough happening to not ruin it with them gone. Still though, it sucks that they weren't fixed and instead abandoned.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I've always felt they took the cheap route on this. The domes made a big difference for the show and the Wall-E scene in particular was hurt by their absence. They were new technology developed for the show and they needed to take the time to sit it fixed and done properly. They are missed, but luckily the show has enough happening to not ruin it with them gone. Still though, it sucks that they weren't fixed and instead abandoned.
    They were going to be removed whether they functioned or not. The creative team decided half way through the first summer season that they did not like the way the domes turned out. The fact that they never quite functioned correctly was just more justification for their removal.

The team decided they looked great on paper, but weren't cohesive with the rest of the actual show.

• Minion

There was a video on YouTube about some paper crafts that were done for parts of World of Color. The domes featured a lot of these great crafts in the "Under the Sea" sequence. I feel bad for the artist whose work won't be featured as prominently, especially because I really enjoyed the domes and the paper stuff.

• Evil is Sexy

Why plastic instead of glass, I wonder?
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    There was a video on YouTube about some paper crafts that were done for parts of World of Color. The domes featured a lot of these great crafts in the "Under the Sea" sequence. I feel bad for the artist whose work won't be featured as prominently, especially because I really enjoyed the domes and the paper stuff.
    Yes I do remember that video. Even though I knew in the show where the paper crafts would be implemented, it was always hard to tell they were paper crafts. I always felt kind of bad for the people who worked on those crafts since nobody else knew about the paper crafts if you didn't have prior knowledge about them. Now that the domes are gone, now I feel REALLY bad for them.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    They were going to be removed whether they functioned or not. The creative team decided half way through the first summer season that they did not like the way the domes turned out. The fact that they never quite functioned correctly was just more justification for their removal.

The team decided they looked great on paper, but weren't cohesive with the rest of the actual show.
    If that's true,then it was just a bad call. Because some scenes really were weakened by it.

• Minion

I thought they made sense with the toy story segment. The green aliens, but they just transferred them to the cali screamin projector loop.

Which I find odd now because you hear more than one alien saying "oooooooh', yet they only project one.

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I'm guessing its the flex. Also, it was probably cheaper since they didn't need to get those custom made.

I think a lot of those paper models used were more for reference when making the animation. I know I saw a few of those paper-model inspired animations on the water screens. People make stuff for the "sake of things" all of the time. Maquettes for example. They use those for reference, but they're never really shown off. Sometimes things are made, then they decide that they don't want them. That's just the nature of the beast. You see complete props thrown out during prop-making also.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

I liked them, wish they would come back.

• ThemeParkPenguin

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    1. Projection on glass is often blurry and distorted

2. If it was glass it would be transparent meaning you would see the projector inside

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast