Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Selfie Expert

Re: I'm taking a pocket full of quarters to Disneyland. What should I spend them on?

Quote Originally Posted by The Disney Ninja View Post
    Here is a random question, if anyone knows: How much would you need if you want to collect ALL the souvenir Pennies in the parks?
    When I was trying to collect them all, I found this site that has a list:

Disneyland Pressed Penny Machine Locations Checklists

It says it was updated 4/2/13! I suppose if someone wanted to take the time, they could calculate it all out! (not me!)

When I went, I spent my $10 in quarters pretty quickly lol The pressed quarter are especially expensive, but neat!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Re: I'm taking a pocket full of quarters to Disneyland. What should I spend them on?

I like pressing pennies (or dimes) and shooting at the gallery. I didn't know about the Woodys Roundup marionette machine. I'll have to check it out!

Here's a list of the penny squashing machines and their locations:
    http://www.parkpennies.com/penny-machine-locations.pdf

• my favorite sociopath

I just had a random thought. Can you press a silver quarter? Seems to me it would make a nice little pocket watch fob or pendent.
    Last edited by NemoVir; 04-07-2013 at 11:56 AM.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Sadly, you can't use those quarters in the tomorrowland arcade anymore.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Familymemories

We have been collecting pennies since 2006. We all became hooked. It is an inexpensive way to get some fun goodies to take home.

• Joe Flowers

Today Theresa and I headed to Disneyland to enjoy a few of the things you can buy with just quarters.

Find a penny press and get souvenir pennies!
    First up, getting a penny pressed. Thanks for the links to the different penny machines KellyMcG86 and The First Star. I also decided to go to City Hall at Disneyland and they also had a printed list of the machines all over the park, as well as a map to go with it!

I figured this one was appropriate since we just explored Los Angeles with Ruston and Jacob a few weeks ago following Walt Disney's life. I posted a trip report on the Micechat forums and you can read about it here!

We tried to get our fortune read by Esmeralda but she was out of order.

So we explored the other things to do at the Penny Arcade. We enjoyed a 3D picture story.

I endured huge electric shocks.

Then we tried out the penny flip books.

Theresa made Pinocchio dance in time to the music. I don't think the song I've got no strings really applies here though. He's totally got strings!

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    Play the Woody's Roundup marionette machine inside the Frontierland Mercantile store.
    We continued into Frontierland and made Woody dance as well. It was harder to keep a beat to Woody's Round-up and You've Got A Friend In Me.

Lots of tiny toys watching a giant Woody dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Rub the Lamp in the Bazaar - Adventureland.
    I then got to rub Aladdin's other Lamp and make 3 wishes. I totally wasn't expecting smoke to come out of it!

Consult Shrunken Ned in Adventureland.
    Yay! A working fortune machine.

Very good advice.

Hey look! An Indiana Jones pinball machine. Awesome because we just saw tons of cool Indiana Jones stuff at the Discovery Science Center. I wrote a big trip report on that one as well, which you can read about here.

Get your fortune from 'Fortune Red' in New Orleans Square.
    Back in New Orleans Square we had one more opportunity to get our fortune told. Fortune Red didn't have an Out of Order sign on him, but every quarter we put in came right back out. I think our fortune must have been that we'd be saving 25 cents

Play at the Starcade!
    Then we headed over to the Starcade in Tomorrowland. We were fully ready to drop another quarter in the Fix-it Felix Jr. arcade but there happened to be 2 credits on the machine already.

We each played a game and there were still 2 credits left on the machine. Odd that it was free to play Fix-It Felix Jr. today. Is that normal?

We headed over to California Adventure and Theresa made a 25 wish in the fountain.

Theresa found a pressed penny machine she liked.

It's Duffy!

And we even got to meet Duffy!

And got a sticker to prove it.

It's definitely springtime at the Disneyland Resort and Theresa is enjoying all the fruiting and flowering plants. These grapes still have quite a bit of growing left to do.

The lemon and orange trees are giving off the most amazing scents.

So we spent a while standing and smelling the blossoms.

And look who else is enjoying all these flowers. A hummingbird! Speaking of hummingbirds, a hummingbird decided to build a nest right beside our front door at home. I'm tracking the progress on my personal blog here if you feel like checking it out. Later this week, I'll be posting pictures of some hummingbird babies!

Our very last stop was a Downtown Disney penny press, because this penny press has some of my favorite characters from the Disney Afternoon!

Huey Dewey and Louie!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Frontierland still has a shooting gallery.
    It was a fun day exploring Disneyland doing something we normally would walk right by without thinking twice about. Unfortunately a few things were out of order, and I completely forgot to do the Shooting Gallery,. We walked by it and I thought we'd come back for it, but it slipped my mind. Guess we'll have something to do next time!

Here is a random question, if anyone knows: How much would you need if you want to collect ALL the souvenir Pennies in the parks?
    Based on the pdf listed above, there are 42 penny machines (I didn't count the quarter or dime ones, or the Rainforest Cafe pennies). One pressed penny costs 51. Three designs on each machine would be $1.53. If you can find all forty two machines, that's 126 different pennies for $64.26.

For those of you who do collect pressed coins, do you have any tips to making them look their best coming out of the machine. I think getting shiny coins is a start, but what about using older coins made before 1982 where the copper content is much higher and the zinc content is much lower. I'm assuming that's what the silver streaks through some of my coins is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I think they might also have a few pressed quarter machines too. I was always fooled when I saw these because I collect pressed pennies from everywhere and the quarter ones always threw me for a loop.
    Once we get these pennies looking good, then we'll see about graduating up to quarters!

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

What an amazing post! Thanks for sharing your day with all of us. I'll be gathering up some loose change to take to the park next time we go. Looks like great fun!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

i will definately bring a silver quarter and try it! after seeing this, im jealous of all you people that can go for a day or two here and there :P
    WDW: 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 2003, 2014
    Disneyland: 1997, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2014

"Mustard... Yes, but MUSTARD?! Don't let's be silly!

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    I heard somewhere that there are 999 dead people living in The Haunted Mansion........

• Selfie Expert

I adore this!! Well, I love all of your TRs, but this was such a great idea!

I need to get the penny list from City Hall.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Next time I go to Disneyland, I'm definitly getting some pressed pennies done
    Thanks for a great report!

• Disneyland Dreamer

California, but still too far from the land.

I cannot even express how much I love pressed pennies! I've been collecting them everywhere since I was a kid and am working on filling my third penny passport. Well on my last trip, with a little inspiration (okay, A LOT of inspiration) from Jen at epbot.com, I picked up some extras of the pennies I really liked. One for the passport, and one for this:

Name:  020 (2) (479x640) (381x549).jpg
Views: 151
Size:  190.8 KB

The pennies were a dollar and two cents and everything else was less than 15 dollars at my local bead shop. This is my new favorite piece of jewelry and having had (my opinion of) success with it, I will probably spend 20 dollars worth of quarters on my next trip in October making the rest of my penny jewelry collection.

Oh, and yes! Pennies with more zinc are what give you the silver looking streaks where the metal stretches and adjusts. I don't mind personally. I think it gives them a little more character. I would suggest shining up the pennies before you pop them in. Also, if you don't like them bent as they tend to be for me when they're fresh pressed, I find the best time to straighten them is right out of the machine. You can do it later, but it's easier when they're still warm and mailable from all of the energy released in the penny (potential or active? I don't know. My chemistry and physics knowledge stops there).
    Last edited by maggiespot; 04-08-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: extra thought

Great trip report!

• i believe in faeries.

I love this idea... spending a day in Disneyland with pocket change and seeing all the fun stuff u can do with it!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I need to do this on my vacation. Instead of just collecting change throughout one's vacation, find ways to spend it.

• Not on the Jedi Council

Great report.. thanks! and you showed me some things I need to go find, namely Aladdin's lamp and Woody.

The Fix It Felix machines have always been free. They don't advertise it in the parks, but you can buy the mobile version of the game (which was free this morning), and if you want to play it at home for free, it's here: Wreck-It Ralph | Official Movie Site | Disney .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast