Talking Any Tips for a Summertime trip to DLR?

Hey Micechatters, I will be going to DL for 3 days in late July for me and my wife's B-Day's this year. I haven't gone to DL in the summer in over a decade, pre Cal Adventure in fact.(We have gone at Halloweentime for several years). Are there any tips you may have for handling DLR in the busy summer season that would be different from my usual fall itinerary? One extra consideration is that we are traveling with my 2 year old.

• Evil is Sexy

Re: Any Tips for a Summertime trip to DLR?

Bring bottled water. Prefreeze it, if you can, 2/3 full and top it off before you head out to the parks. You can refill them from the water fountains they offer around the park. It will save you money and keep you hydrated.

Make a loose plan for what things you want to hit each day. Don't forget to plan for a nap for the youngin'! (And yourselves should you need it.)

I would bring some small, healthy snacks as well. Granola bars, fruit (grapes, oranges) some small baby food containers. Try to not eat in the park unless you really want to.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

We bring in water bottles and powdered lemonade. The stores won't refill your bottle, but they will give you a cup of water and you can refill it yourself. Instant lemonade!
    It's going to be very hot, so I recommend leaving the parks in the middle of the day for a nap/swim if possible at your hotel. Another heat trick is a washcloth in a bag of ice. It will melt during the day and always be a nice cool cloth to wet the back of your neck.
    One other thing we always do at the park with our kids is to take a photo of them in the morning with a camera phone. That way, if we get separated, we have a photo of the way they look on that day.
    Have fun!!!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Take a break and go to the beach. Huntington Beach and Newport Beach are the closest to Anaheim. They are only about a 20-25 minute drive away, yet they tend to be about 10-20 degrees cooler - a nice break from the craziness of the DLR!

• Closed Account

Don't bother with bottled water. Spend the cash on a CamelBak (you can probably get one for about $60) and fill the bladder with water and freeze it the night before. That way you have about a gallon of cold water all day, and a backpack to store snacks in like beef jerky or granola bars.

Thanks for the tips. Please keep'em coming if you can think of any others.

• Under that tree again!

Go midweek it's much less crowded than weekends.

Get to the park early, before it opens so you are at the gates at about 7:15. Since you mention going for 3 days that likely means you will have one Magic Morning in Disneyland Park, get there about 6:45 that day. Make good use of the mornings. Take a break in the mid afternoon when it's hottest and most crowded. Come back for the parade or before dinner time and try to stay late.

You can use Rider Swap on the rides a 2yo can't ride.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

1. Grab fastpasses for Splash Mountain/Grizzly River Rapids as soon as you see them available for the afternoon times. You'll be glad that you won't have to wait in massive lines, and those passes disappear quickly!
    2. I actually never bring water bottles to Disneyland, and I try to stay away from them even more in the summer. They get heavy (even just carrying one) and a heavy bag/backpack is never comfortable in the heat. Any food service that offers fountain drinks will give you free water if you ask, and I have always preferred getting it this way...nothing to worry about carrying around, and it's ice cold!
    3. Wear light clothing, and depending on when you go, all you'll need is a light jacket for the nighttime hours.
    4. Bring some snacks- you can push having lunch until around 1:30 or 2 after the lunch crowds have gone, therefore leaving you with a smaller line to get food as well as a spot sitting inside or in the shade. That being said, try avoiding the "popular" lunch/dinner times. It'll obviously be more crowded and frustrating trying to get a seat for your family if you go when everyone else in the park is getting food
    5. Ultimately, just have a good time! The heat makes everyone a little cranky but just stay positive and slap a smile on your face...it will make your whole family and the guests around you a little more at ease

• #bringevilback

The biggest tip would be get there early. The first hour will have the shortest lines, and the coolest temps!

• See Ya Real Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by HausofMcKenna View Post
    2. I actually never bring water bottles to Disneyland, and I try to stay away from them even more in the summer. They get heavy (even just carrying one) and a heavy bag/backpack is never comfortable in the heat. Any food service that offers fountain drinks will give you free water if you ask, and I have always preferred getting it this way...nothing to worry about carrying around, and it's ice cold!
    This is what we do too. Much easier than carrying around a bottle.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Kind of depends...if SoCal passes are not blocked out during the weekday, there may be a lot more crowds since every student on break who has the lower-tier passes can and likely will go.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Kind of depends...if SoCal passes are not blocked out during the weekday, there may be a lot more crowds since every student on break who has the lower-tier passes can and likely will go.
    No, I am right about this, it doesn't depend. Blockouts don't, in Late July, and it doesn't go up and down like it can at the ends of summer.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Familymemories

Visit midweek. Sat and Sun will be really busy. A backpack with healthy snacks, lunch and water a must. Pirates Island is a great place to eat lunch and enjoy the shade.
    Vintage Jewelry Converted Into Wearable Pieces Visit My Etsy Shop3 Kid Crop Shop

No, I am right about this, it doesn't depend. Blockouts don't, in Late July, and it doesn't go up and down like it can at the ends of summer.
    I will be going midweek thanks!