Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Closed Account

What Would Disney Do if Someone Watched Song of the South on Their iPad...

...while in the park?

Say you were standing in line for a ride and you whipped out your iPad and started watching Song of the South.

Would they kick you out for displaying something they say doesn't exist?

What if you were in line for Splash Mountain? Would it cause a universe-ending paradox?

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: What Would Disney Do if Someone Watched Song of the South on Their iPad...

I don't think anyone would care personally. Unless you drew a crowd and about 20 people are watching it all at once versus doing something in the theme park. Then I would assume Disney would step in if you created a crowd or "distraction" from the park.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• rebmeM roinuJ

Silly question, and Disney certainly doesn't deny the existence of SOTS.

• Closed Account

They deny the existence of Song of the South and the X-rated Snow White parody made for Walt's 50th birthday.

I have seen SOTS as a child back in the seventies. I honestly don't know why there is such sensitivity surrounding this movie. Of course, as a child I probably didn't understand any racist overtones that it may have contained. However it would be nice to have it out in the open for people to view and make up their own minds about rather than have it be some secret that Disney needs to keep in the closet. The all time ban that Disney has put on it lends people to speculate that it was a racist rant with no cinematic value, which I can clearly recall was not the case.

Of course they don't deny the existence of Song of the South. Many clips from the movie have been featured in their past television specials and direct to home videos. You can also find art work from the movie in their animation books.

I don't think they would care what you watch on your ipad...

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The company doesn't release the film on any motion picture media you can buy in the states. They still sell merchandise featuring the characters, have characters in the stateside parks appear, and have an attraction based on it (obviously.) They do not deny the film exists - they don't sell it in a modern format.

As far as I know, Old Yeller, Davy Crockett's films, The Great Mouse Detective, Pete's Dragon, The Black Cauldron, and many more are not available on blu-ray or even DVD in some cases. That is not equaling that Disney denies the film exists, they just don't sell them. And yes, the Song of the South issue is one that they are unsure they'd even try - but no one has ever said, we didn't make this film at Disney.

No employee would care what someone watches on a iPhone/iPad if not vulgar or explicit and played loud enough so other guests had no choice but to be exposed to it.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• rebmeM roinuJ

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    They deny the existence of Song of the South and the X-rated Snow White parody made for Walt's 50th birthday.
    Who denies? The entire company as of this moment? It was released in theaters on multiple occasions and had a handful of home video releases around the world. Not to mention the fact that clips are included on the Disneyland USA Walt Disney Treasures DVD.

Edit: And DreamsofColor beat me to it.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I still don't understand why SotS isn't made available in media formats. The thing about that movie is that it was socially acceptable for the time in which it was made, same goes for plenty of other Disney movies. If it raises any racial or unacceptable eyebrows this day in age, well then I'm afraid we as a society have learned nothing in 60 years. Sad but true.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• rebmeM roinuJ

Disney is just too(?) PC these days. If not TOO PC, more PC. Im surprised they havent apologized for Mickey not being a perfect little angel in the older cartoons, lol.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    As far as I know, Old Yeller, Davy Crockett's films, The Great Mouse Detective, Pete's Dragon, The Black Cauldron, and many more are not available on blu-ray or even DVD in some cases.
    All of those are available on DVD, and both Great Mouse Detective and Pete's Dragon came out on Blu-Ray last year.

• 7/17/2005 I was there!

The real question is... Why would anyone pull out an iPad to watch a movie while standing in a line instead of just enjoying the sights and sounds around you?
    "Fantasy, if it's really convincing, can't become dated, for the simple reason that it represents a flight into a dimension that lies beyond the reach of time" Walt Disney

• rebmeM roinuJ

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Fan View Post
    The real question is... Why would anyone pull out an iPad to watch a movie while standing in a line instead of just enjoying the sights and sounds around you?
    I haven't personally witnessed anything like that, but I don't know, I wouldn't be too surprised if I saw it :/

• The doctor is in

I would watch it with them.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    ...while in the park?

Say you were standing in line for a ride and you whipped out your iPad and started watching Song of the South.

Would they kick you out for displaying something they say doesn't exist?

What if you were in line for Splash Mountain? Would it cause a universe-ending paradox?
    I think they would ask what in blazes anyone needs an iPad for at Disneyland.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast