Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buena Vista Street (DCA) vs. Hollywood Blvd. and/or Sunset Blvd. (DHS)

I know people love to criticize Hollywood Studios, but when I used to go there in my youth I really enjoyed that place and especially the recreation of a romanticized old Hollywood/L.A. in the "Hollywood Boulevard" and Sunset Boulevard" parts of the park. I still really dig those areas. I love the building facades and the aesthetic of the architecture and just the overall feel of those streets.

Since Buena Vista Street has opened at California Adventure, many Disney related sites have stated that it has been very well received and people were generally impressed. When I saw it for myself I was a little disappointed. I felt like the facades weren't particularly impressive and the interiors of the stores were pretty dull. I know Buena Vista Street is meant to represent 1920's Los Angeles, while Hollywood and Sunset at DHS are themed on 1940s L.A., so perhaps differing eras account for something. But overall I didn't feel that Buena Vista Street really "takes you to another place" as well as it's DHS counterparts, and isn't as charming.

I was just curious to see what others thought. For those of you who've seen both, which do you prefer?
    What are your general thoughts?

• Filmmaker

Re: Buena Vista Street (DCA) vs. Hollywood Blvd. and/or Sunset Blvd. (DHS)

There's not a giant hat in front of Carthay Circle Theater. Do I need to say any more?

In fairness, the Hollywood Blvd/Sunset Blvd section of DHS is the part of the park that works best, but I think overall Buna Vista Street feels more complete thematically. You have the Red Cars, you have Carthay Circle Theater, you have (or had) the wonderfully designed window displays, etc. DHS needs the kind of attention that DCA just got.

• Minion

Since this is a Disneyland site, I'm pretty sure I can guess what the overall pick will be.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Believe me Illusion, I think it's ridiculous that they put the giant sorcerer's hat right there. But as far as the look of the streets and the storefronts, not to mention the layouts and design within the stores, I really feel DHS is superior in this regard. A lot of the stores on Buena Vista Street feel so dull and boring inside.

• revolutionary waltz

Wouldn't it be more "correct" to compare Sunset Boulevard not to Buena Vista Street, but Hollywood Land?

Although I don't think the design is necessarily "superior"--it just sounds like you prefer the aesthetic?

It has been so long since I have been to DHS that I automatically think of Buena Vista Street first. However I have to mention a lot of BVS was lifted directly out of DHS, such as the park entrance, even DHS has a (small) Carthay Circle Theater near the entrance. Yet BVS has details such as the Red Car, and the massive Carthay Circle...

As such I call the debate a draw, both parks have their unique benefits.

Yet, DHS has better details than Hollywoodland...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Since this is a Disneyland site, I'm pretty sure I can guess what the overall pick will be.
    The results will surprise you.

Especially if its Hollywood Land + Buena Vista Street vs. Hollywood Blvd & Sunset Blvd in Orlando.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I prefer Sunset Boulevard, actually, for the 'big picture' with their far-superior Tower of Terror at the end of the street, and small details around the place.

Don't get me wrong, Buena Vista Street is nice, and some good detailing also, but not a place I find myself wanting to just hang out in (unlike Sunset).

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

In that regard, DCA's Hollywood Blvd and ToT's placement are awkward.

The Red Cars help you find ToT, follow the red brick road - along the disaster that is a fake bldg and a fake skyline on a box.

• What imagination needs...

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    I prefer Sunset Boulevard, actually, for the 'big picture' with their far-superior Tower of Terror at the end of the street, and small details around the place.
    I've only been to DHS, but I think Sunset Blvd. beats out the other three because of the menacing appearance of the old Hollywood Tower Hotel, with it's broken down sign and it's flickering lights. If they were to add Red Trolley Cars to the street, I would not be able to handle it.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Design View Post
    If they were to add Red Trolley Cars to the street, I would not be able to handle it.
    Would you spontaneously combust?

I've never been to 'Disney's Hollywood Studios' but 'Hollywood Land' in 'California Adventure' just makes me feel depressed. Everything just feels lifeless, abandoned and foreclosed.

• Team Hail HYDRA

I'd say BVS because of the detail
    if they do the same level of detail at DHS, it be close

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    I know Buena Vista Street is meant to represent 1920's Los Angeles, while Hollywood and Sunset at DHS are themed on 1940s L.A., so perhaps differing eras account for something. But overall I didn't feel that Buena Vista Street really "takes you to another place" as well as it's DHS counterparts, and isn't as charming.
    I would agree that it didn't take you to another place. We're in California park in California. If I was at DHS, I would feel less homesick.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I would agree that it didn't take you to another place. We're in California park in California. If I was at DHS, I would feel less homesick.
    Don't know if you were trying to be a smart a$$ or not, maybe I should've said "take you to another time period" to convey what I meant.

As for Hollywood Land, yeah I feel that whole are is really weak too, even more so. It would be so much better if it wasn't just facades but actual storefronts and recreations of all the things they're meant to represent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast