Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    If they can take an extremely popular franchise, character or movie, make a realy great attraction out of it and then find a way to LOOSELY tie it in to an existing land if need be, then they almost have the RESPONSIBILITY to practice business this way over the way many of you on here would prefer.
    Not at all, they own lots of intellectual properties, but putting them all in the parks isn't feasible. When and where it's appropriate, do it, but shoe horning anything and everything into "the second park" just makes it a diluted mishmash of Corporate Disney.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

I think what you dont figure in to ANY of this lazyboy970, are the marketing aspects to all of this.

You do understand Disney is a corporation that is allowed, and deserve, to be able to make a profit, even a substantial profit.

You do understand that when a company allocates 100-150 million to build a ride, they need to factor in what the marketing potential and potential profit gain might be.
    I have made no comment regarding a dislike for profit. Nor is profit incompatible with doing something fitting to the medium.

Do you think that Disney would have an easier time marketing, to the entire country and not to just theme park fanatic historian purists, a ride based upon an already popular, or even wildly popular character, story or franchise like Cars, Star Wars or Harry Potter over some generic attraction.
    Most definitely they would.
    Not to say that you cant generate public excitement about an attraction like Everest, obviously they did, but it is MUCH more risky and requires an INSANE amount of marketing spending, like they did for Everest.
    Nobody gets anywhere doing what is easiest. That is lazy. Disney is able to market films not based on any preexisting franchises that cost just as much as an attraction. Yes, a film will be forgotten more quickly than a built attraction, but in today's market you also basically have one weekend to make back your money.

I dont think you realy give crecible thought to the fact that it isnt the same world as when walt built DL, PotC or haunted Mansion, and consumers dont have the same tastes.
    And please dont argue that Pirates and Mansion are still popular today so that proves EVERYTHING we need to know.
    yes, those rides are popular and beloved, but they generate more nostalgia than excitement.
    people want more excitement now days. be it stepping into the world of a favorite movie, or experiencing a thrill they will only get at a theme park.
    I know there are ALOT of people on Disney fan sites who feel COMPLETELY different than most Americans and it might possibly be that it is true what most of you believe about yourselve, that you just have a superior taste and sophistication when it comes to theme parks and attractions.
    But, the problem is that it doesnt matter. You dont matter, in the idividulistic sense.
    Repeatedly the basic concepts of themed entertainment have held true. When Disney's California Adventure opened it was riding on a trend that immersive environments were passť. That contemporary audiences were too sophisticated for such fantasy nonsense. Now we are being told that intellectual property is needed, but amazingly only in places where The Walt Disney Company is responsible for all of the financing. What a coincidence!

When you are spending Billions of dollars, sometimes you DO have to go with what you feel would generate the most buzz, revenue and widespread interest or excitement over any kind of PURIST decision.
    Disney gets the worst bang for their buck in the industry. Fixing that will help with costs and see what I said above about being able to generate buzz for films.

If they can take an extremely popular franchise, character or movie, make a realy great attraction out of it and then find a way to LOOSELY tie it in to an existing land if need be, then they almost have the RESPONSIBILITY to practice business this way over the way many of you on here would prefer.
    It'd be more "responsible" to just sell off the parks (something that was considered in the recent past). Your responsibility has been tried by many others and it never quite has worked. The biggest example being Islands of Adventure, which has always had well known brands but those were not enough to get people to visit the park and Lost Continent used to be seen as the best part. Yes, it was The Wizarding World of Harry Potter that brought people in, but that land is its own marvel of themed entertainment. If they had gone with the redressing idea (art is out there online for this awfulness) then the crowds would not have come.

Im not in any way saying that it creates a deeper, more intillectual or even more enjoyable experience, but we arent a deeper or more intillectual society than we were 25-50 years ago either. Disney would be STUPID not to take this into account and they cant affort to spend billions hoping to educate people about what they SHOULD appreciate and LIKE.
    It isnt just about what people enjoy when they are in the parks, but it is also about actually GETTING them there.
    A well created themed experience does not need explanation. Just in its experience it can be understood. This also applies to experiences based on intellectual property. It is why Splash Mountain still works. It was approved in a world where Song of the South had just had a rather successful rerelease and has survived into a world where the film is largely forgotten.

Do you think Disney could better market to big spending destination tourists a new monstropolis land with an exciting hanging coaster and being able to step into the world of the monsters, maybe eat at Harry Housans, or a new rocketeer coaster and we have rethemed our backlot to be more period appropriate.
    The problem with this hypothetical is it compares a known with an unknown. Looking at the unexpected response to the 1920s/30s items in the windows on Buena Vista Street, it seems there may well be an audience for immersive period environments.

Im not saying that they should make their decision based upon that assessment every time, but i am saying that some of you cant even respect the fact that they have to AT LEAST ponder that aspect with EVERY new investment.
    They have a responsibility to the rest of the company and to shareholders.
    A creative company has a responsibility to be creative.
    Last edited by lazyboy97O; 04-11-2013 at 11:02 AM.

• Minion

I would much rather see a reworked Rockin Rollercoaster then Monsters Inc in Hollywood Land. What the heck does Monsters Inc. have to do with Hollywood? The movie was created in Northern California for goodness sake. Under this notion, we can just throw anything into Hollywood Land and call it a day. Let's get creative! We know what they can bring with Buena Vista and Cars Land, don't let us down Disney.
    Jeff Wayne

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

Lightcycle-type Ride: Yes.
    Monsters Inc., Land: ...what the hell, Disney?

If you ask me, the concept of "The Grid" and how Kevin Flynn transported himself sits WELL with the original concept of Tomorrowland. Look at what's happening now with our technology...

It seems to me IF it were possible to digitize yourself into "The Grid" in the future, why not? Reminds me a little of "Adventure Thru Inner Space" in a way...

I just don't understand why Disney has to keep turning each little piece of DCA into...well, I have no idea how to describe it. It's slowly becoming less "Californian".

Just my 2 cents...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by soothseyer View Post
    I just don't understand why Disney has to keep turning each little piece of DCA into...well, I have no idea how to describe it.
    "Pixarland" pretty much describes it.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    But is it even that? I would think that if the Pixar films all exist in the same universe that the team in Emeryville would do more than some Easter eggs. Why not add Pizza Planet to Cars Lands? Or something from Brave in A Bug's Land? It's all Pixar.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by soothseyer View Post
    I just don't understand why Disney has to keep turning each little piece of DCA into...well, I have no idea how to describe it. It's slowly becoming less "Californian".
    In my opinion, and based on what I've read about the failed WestCOT and DCA-rush-to-finish-even-if-it-sucks project, I would say they are slowly trying to erase that whole "Californian" concept in terms of the whole park being one cohesive theme. California state themed attractions make sense because it's a park in California, but the entire park being one theme - it seems to me they are trying to get away from that and follow a more Disneyland-esque layout approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins

Yes and no. DCA has plenty of attractions that non-Pixar based, or non-movie based for that matter. While there is a heavy Pixar presence in the park, it's not the entire​ park.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    In my opinion, and based on what I've read about the failed WestCOT and DCA-rush-to-finish-even-if-it-sucks project, I would say they are slowly trying to erase that whole "Californian" concept in terms of the whole park being one cohesive theme. California state themed attractions make sense because it's a park in California, but the entire park being one theme - it seems to me they are trying to get away from that and follow a more Disneyland-esque layout approach.
    Would that not have been best accomplished with the renovations and name change?

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Would that not have been best accomplished with the renovations and name change?
    That is exactly what I am saying. It's still a work in progress.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    That is exactly what I am saying. It's still a work in progress.
    Even then, I think the grand reopening would have been the opportune time to do that in a clearer way, namely changing the name beyond the correction for the current branding scheme.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Even then, I think the grand reopening would have been the opportune time to do that in a clearer way, namely changing the name beyond the correction for the current branding scheme.
    I agree.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Well to be honest, a "California" themed theme park in California itself was always kindof an...odd... idea to me.

I mean Disney didn't build a Florida themed park in Florida.

Especially considering most of Disneyland's clientele are locals, who live in California

Boggles the mind it does
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Well to be honest, a "California" themed theme park in California itself was always kindof an...odd... idea to me.

I mean Disney didn't build a Florida themed park in Florida.

Especially considering most of Disneyland's clientele are locals, who live in California

Boggles the mind it does
    Only in its original conception as a park about contemporary California. The history, mythology and cultures of California offers plenty of basis for storytelling. What it does not set up well is a park that can just have film franchises, chosen for their financial success, plugged in anywhere.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Only in its original conception as a park about contemporary California. The history, mythology and cultures of California offers plenty of basis for storytelling. What it does not set up well is a park that can just have film franchises, chosen for their financial success, plugged in anywhere.
    Well yea, but if you're a tourist in California, wanting to learn the history of California, you'd go visit those places, you're in California already.

I agree with the second bit though, its becoming a sort of a mish mash park.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Well yea, but if you're a tourist in California, wanting to learn the history of California, you'd go visit those places, you're in California already.
    Its not about history lessons, its about experiences. Going beyond what happens at historic sites and even going into fictional versions of California.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 ... LastLast