Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Its not about history lessons, its about experiences. Going beyond what happens at historic sites and even going into fictional versions of California.
    But how does that appeal to the majority of the Disneyland Resort vistor, the local, who lives in California?
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• The High 5 & Waving Goth

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    "Pixarland" pretty much describes it.
    If they keep adding more Pixar related themes and ideas, then yes, it will be "Pixarland".

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    In my opinion, and based on what I've read about the failed WestCOT and DCA-rush-to-finish-even-if-it-sucks project, I would say they are slowly trying to erase that whole "Californian" concept in terms of the whole park being one cohesive theme. California state themed attractions make sense because it's a park in California, but the entire park being one theme - it seems to me they are trying to get away from that and follow a more Disneyland-esque layout approach.
    Well said

I guess money talked them into such a swell idea that they were more desperate to transform Disneyland from a single park property into a "resort" without properly executing it...and for the longest time, it was deemed a failure until it was re-imagined from the ground up. So glad for that.
    Last edited by soothseyer; 04-11-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: I goofed...

For me, the monsters inc. idea doesn't fit into the California theme. A lot of people are posting that neither do any other lands. I guess it all can be debated. I read that each land represents California from a different decade, including carsland. I'm not quite graping how monstropolis will be done. The only remotely popular thing in that area of the park is tower of terror. Everything else could and should be replaced (even the poorly done monsters inc ride they are planning to keep).

I do like the tron idea. The key for me is the futuristic look. The lights, the sounds, things that feel new and refreshing. Tron fits that description. Somebody mentioned they don't like the tron idea because of how lame the movie is... (i liked it). Again I point at tower of terror. The ride is far better than the movie that the sell in the shop when exiting. Facades in tomorrowland need to be redone. I don't mind the constant use of Pixar or other franchises as long as they are done correctly.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    But how does that appeal to the majority of the Disneyland Resort vistor, the local, who lives in California?
    By offering something that cannot be experienced elsewhere. Look at Buena Vista Street, a "fake" Los Angeles just miles south of Los Angeles. Paradise Pier started to head towards something that cannot be experienced in Santa Monica or Santa Cruz.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Well to be honest, a "California" themed theme park in California itself was always kindof an...odd... idea to me.
    The reason it seems odd is because it is. It was a plan B that wasn't really fully imagined before they agreed on it. They had to put something there since WestCOT fell through the cracks and the city of Anaheim was spending loads, and loads of money to expand the 5 freeway, and the beautify the surrounding area.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjedwards44 View Post
    For me, the monsters inc. idea doesn't fit into the California theme.
    Again, it appears as though they are ditching the "California" theme.

They'd better change the name of the park, then.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post
    They'd better change the name of the park, then.
    No need. It's still a Disney theme park in California. It's just not set up as a full California themed park anymore like was.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

No need. It's still a Disney theme park in California. It's just not set up as a full California themed park anymore like was.
    MMmmm sorry. This excuse is not going to work.

And weren't we asked to stay on topic?

Renaming DCA isn't on topic.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    MMmmm sorry. This excuse is not going to work.

And weren't we asked to stay on topic?

Renaming DCA isn't on topic.
    Not an excuse bud. It's actually a real thing!

• Minion

Why is it that Monsters (possibly) gets all of this yet The Incredibles hardly has nothing? Although Metroville has not set time period or state, much of the architecture of the buildings, the cars, and other things are very 50's/ 60's esque. I think it would fit much better than monstropolis.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

But the thing is - yes, California maybe not the best thought out plan for a whole new theme park in 2001. They could do more with it though, absolutely, if put their minds to it, instead of leaping right to Cars and Monsters, Inc.

How about a Spanish Mission themed section via architecture that is indoors/always 'night' like Blue Bayou with a market, restaurant, and a Zorro-themed (old TV show) roller coaster indoors with dark ride type scenery and a simulated earthquake as part of the coaster? Reeks of California! Interesting and evocative setting!

There are possibilities like that, and that one even relates to Disney history if they include specific elements of the show (likeness of Guy Williams, the recognizable theme song). Imagineering and corporate could one hundred percent do thematic additions related to California in an imaginative way if they wanted to - the desire just isn't there, if this Monsters, Inc. talk is true.

Why not Native American folklore integrated besides just in a kiddy play zone as static carvings, or something about Bigfoot? Also part of California culture and history - Knott's has the Mystery Lodge, as an example of ways to do that sort of thing right.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

That's kind of weak. So the name just describes that it is a Disney owned Adventure Park in California? Then why the continued emphasis on California in the [ugly] new logo?

• Artistic integrity

I don't understand the comparisons to Expedition Everest ... as some sort of "failure" and reason to drop original attractions across all Disney Theme Park Resorts.

For one ... It's a fast roller coaster - Not everyone can ride fast thrills.
    Two .... the Yeti inside doesn't work anymore, and Disney refuses to fix it, making the ride a bit of a disappointment.

On another point -

Motorbike Launch Coaster

Thanks for this above link Lazyboy ......

If they do go for a 'moto' bike .... I do hope they would go for a design ... where we can keep our backs .. upright.

Having ridden Knott's Pony Express ... that was one uncomfortable sitting position. Disney would have to do something different.

I'll say this ..... If the options for the Innovention's building are between Marvel, Tron, and Star Wars ONLY ... then I'll take Tron ... with one big applause. As Tron is a much better thematic fit for Tomorrowland than a rag-tag group of "old republic" characters ... or super heroes from the present day world .. who do nothing to thematically fit the land.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 04-11-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    But the thing is - yes, California maybe not the best thought out plan for a whole new theme park in 2001. They could do more with it though, absolutely, if put their minds to it, instead of leaping right to Cars and Monsters, Inc.

How about a Spanish Mission themed section via architecture that is indoors/always 'night' like Blue Bayou with a market, restaurant, and a Zorro-themed (old TV show) roller coaster indoors with dark ride type scenery and a simulated earthquake as part of the coaster? Reeks of California! Interesting and evocative setting!

There are possibilities like that, and that one even relates to Disney history if they include specific elements of the show (likeness of Guy Williams, the recognizable theme song). Imagineering and corporate could one hundred percent do thematic additions related to California in an imaginative way if they wanted to - the desire just isn't there, if this Monsters, Inc. talk is true.

Why not Native American folklore integrated besides just in a kiddy play zone as static carvings, or something about Bigfoot? Also part of California culture and history - Knott's has the Mystery Lodge, as an example of ways to do that sort of thing right.
    I'd love either of these! much better fitting for DCA. I had an idea a while ago for an ice age paleontology themed land DCA land: Sabertooth Valley (with concept art) i think something similar would fit as well

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I always thought they needed a WINTER SPORTS MOUNTAIN, some sort of ski/snowboard type thrill ride. Call it MINERAL KING.

There were some good ideas in here:

What Area Of California Is Missing In California Adventure In Your Opinion?

Coheteboy even designed something in post 31

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast