Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast

•   

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I hope they consider building Monstropolis in the third gate. It would be a better fit with Marvel and Star Wars then it is with DCA. It would also be a good land to feature more kids attractions in a park that will need something for kids. You could do a few things for kids with Star Wars, but I assume most of the Marvel attractions will be more aimed at an older audience.
    I dont see at all how the 3rd gate is a better fit for mostropolis then DCA

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando Mendez View Post
    I dont see at all how the 3rd gate is a better fit for mostropolis then DCA
    Because the third park might have a more fantastical theme than "regions of California."

Monstropolis, CA? No.

• Banned User

How serious is Disney about building a third gate? I mean they barely got DCA running at a decent level after draining money into it for 11 years and now they want to build another park? Is there even sufficient land for one?

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

^the old management did many things against good policy liek making cheap and boring attractions that no one cared about...to the lack of theme and detailed lands...

DCA was a mistake the next park will not be even close to as bad....especially if it star Marvel and Star Wars...those brands sell even if they are crap

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    In a perfect world I would agree, but we all know that today's Disney is not interested in creating unique themes but finding ways to use franchise film properties.
    Which is why I hope the Iger administration does not get a chance to build a new park, because yes, under them the best we can hope for is a dumping ground for franchise-based lands.

Of course, all this assumes the next CEO has a stronger focus on artistic integrity and originality. I like to remain optimistic...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    How serious is Disney about building a third gate?
    Not serious at all. They have very publicly stated they are not spending anymore substantial money on the American theme parks, and they will cheapen out on the international ones too.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    Not serious at all. They have very publicly stated they are not spending anymore substantial money on the American theme parks, and they will cheapen out on the international ones too.
    That is just your opinion.

Shanghai is cheapening out? Disney has gone from overbuilding DL Paris, to underbuilding HK Disneyland and DCA, now they're doing their best at hitting the sweet spot of a functioning park with room to grow in Shanghai.

I'd say owning the land for the Third Gate means they're pretty serious about building it one day.

Whether the time is now, ten or twenty years from now, I can't say. But they spent a fortune to secure the Strawberry Fields, and it's only got a temporary variance to be used as a parking lot.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Which is why I hope the Iger administration does not get a chance to build a new park, because yes, under them the best we can hope for is a dumping ground for franchise-based lands.

Of course, all this assumes the next CEO has a stronger focus on artistic integrity and originality. I like to remain optimistic...
    I wouldn't be too optimistic if Tom Staggs is being groomed to take over as CEO.....
    No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

• Banned User

Why must we think of franchises as not original or having artistic integrity? It is demonstrated that with Disney, it is irrelevant whether the ride/attraction came first (Pirates or Haunted Mansion) or the movie came first. A popular product will have a theme park attraction. It is just less likely for theme park attractions to originate without a movie tie-in, but it was done with numerous attractions like Animal Kingdom's Everest, Tokyo DisneySeas' Tower attraction, Hong Kong Disneyland's Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion attractions, etc.

Sometimes, the original attractions failed like what happened with DCA circa 2001, but we can also blame the lack of originality with non-franchise attractions like Golden Dreams.

It is better to be optimistic that Disney will get things right with franchise-based lands like Carsland.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    Why must we think of franchises as not original or having artistic integrity? It is demonstrated that with Disney, it is irrelevant whether the ride/attraction came first (Pirates or Haunted Mansion) or the movie came first. A popular product will have a theme park attraction. It is just less likely for theme park attractions to originate without a movie tie-in, but it was done with numerous attractions like Animal Kingdom's Everest, Tokyo DisneySeas' Tower attraction, Hong Kong Disneyland's Big Thunder and Haunted Mansion attractions, etc.

Sometimes, the original attractions failed like what happened with DCA circa 2001, but we can also blame the lack of originality with non-franchise attractions like Golden Dreams.

It is better to be optimistic that Disney will get things right with franchise-based lands like Carsland.
    I agree with this 100 percent. I mean, Monsters Inc. as a movie is pretty creative if you ask me. It also seems like movie tie-ins get guests more excited nowadays. Imagine if they added a non-movie based exhibit instead of Iron Man in Innoventions. I highly doubt it would be as popular the Iron Man exhibit. We have seen that Imagineering can do amazing things with movie tie-ins and I don't understand how a ride having a movie tie-in makes it automatically worse than rides without them as it seems many here believe without exception.

• Filmmaker

Why must we think of franchises as not original or having artistic integrity?
    You misunderstand my point. I'm not saying that franchise-based attractions inherently lack artistic integrity, but rather that the practice of shoe-horning franchise-based attractions into areas where they do not belong and/or creating a whole park that's theme amounts to nothing more than "a place for everything else!" is shallow and disappointing.

Cars Land and Buena Vista Street were huge successes, but the prospect of Avatar Land in Animal Kingdom and Monstropolis in DCA show the kind of backwards logic that I hope the next administration will avoid.

• Banned User

You misunderstand my point. I'm not saying that franchise-based attractions inherently lack artistic integrity, but rather that the practice of shoe-horning franchise-based attractions into areas where they do not belong and/or creating a whole park that's theme amounts to nothing more than "a place for everything else!" is shallow and disappointing.
    You mean a third park that will have the Marvel or Star Wars lands. They haven't done that yet. Or shoehorning like that they did with Star Tours or Indiana Jones Adventure. I didn't think it didn't work.

Cars Land and Buena Vista Street were huge successes, but the prospect of Avatar Land in Animal Kingdom and Monstropolis in DCA show the kind of backwards logic that I hope the next administration will avoid.
    The next administration isn't likely to avoid it especially if Avatar makes it in this administration. This administration thinks there is technology most suited for the Avatar franchise. That's why they are bothering.

This paragraph doesn't makes sense. Carsland is based from a franchise. If you agree it is a success, then why not give the same deference to the future Avatar or Monstropolis. They might pull it off.

• Filmmaker

You mean a third park that will have the Marvel or Star Wars lands. They haven't done that yet.
    No, they haven't, but at this point that's what signs are pointing to for a third gate. If they were to put theme first before attractions I would be incredibly surprised and also very happy.

This paragraph doesn't makes sense. Carsland is based from a franchise. If you agree it is a success, then why not give the same deference to the future Avatar or Monstropolis. They might pull it off.
    The difference is, Cars (while not technically set in California) has enough to do with California culture and a similar topography to feel Californian and thus contribute to the theme of the park. Monstropolis has nothing that is inherently Californian about it, specifically nothing that contributes to the theme of Hollywood circa 1930.

On the same token, Avatar is not about the celebration of man's realtionship with animals, both of real life and of legend; instead it's about a race of humanoid aliens who have no basis in real life or myth. In both cases these additions are operating on backwards logic, they're not saying "okay, here's the theme of this area, what can we do to contribute to that theme?" instead they are saying "how can we bend the theme to justify the inclusion of these popular franchises in this space?"

As I said, backwards logic.

• Galactic Member

I think Monsters fits fine in Hollywood. Monsters made Hollywood famous from the start with classics like Frankenstein and the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Also, have you have been to the corner of Highland and Hollywood lately? There are all kinds of creatures hanging out on the streets. Tron sounds interesting if done right. However, the thought of using the people mover tracks makes me weary after the Rocket Rods. I would rather have an Iron Man attraction in that space. Could Disney be saving the Marvel attractions for the third park?
    Galactic Member

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Also, have you have been to the corner of Highland and Hollywood lately? There are all kinds of creatures hanging out on the streets.
    This! Disney should take a cue from street performers on Hollywood Boulevard, they're on the pulse of the themepark going public.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 916171819202122 ... LastLast