Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

I agree with everyone else... DCA is becoming Pixar Land. Enough with the Pixar attractions already. Sheesh.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

I don't have a problem with it being pixar. I don't care what it is as long as it fits the overall theme of California. There's a couple way they can fit monsters with hollywoodland, but I don't think this is one of them.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I'm not so sure why they want to keep that open space just for the dance parties. They are insanely popular now but what's to say its going to remain that way 10 years from now? Swing dancing was popular in the 1950s but in 2012 it lost its popularity so much they only did it once a week in Disneyland.

I am STOKED about Tron being added to TL. I made a thread about it in the past and always wanted to see it incorporated into the park and being a HUGE TRON fan I'm EXTREMELY excited. They probably want the opening of the ride to coincide with the opening of the Tron 3 movie in the works.

Tron would be sick. Monsters Door rollercoaster? really? dont know about that.

• Banned User

I have speculated a couple times that turning this area into a Monstropolis would be a creative way to draw in guests, with a Monster-Inc E-Ticket and an upgrade of the Monsters Inc. ride that is there. Makes sense as this little boxed-in area of the park would work best as some urban environment, such as a Monstropolis or a Muppets corner . . . though another Muppets film is in the works, I kinda think that Monsters Inc is the way to go as the second film looks pretty good. Either property would work well with little details for a redo of this area.

I think the Monsters Inc. ride we have is "ok", but its not great and it goes too slow as this is the ride system from the SuperStar Limo ride, not specially designed for Monsters Inc. The scene with the hanging doors goes by so slowly you have time to look at the mirrors and it feels fake, as do a lot of the scenes. So, I would hope they improve this ride in someway.

I think a Monsters Inc. roller coaster/E-Ticket would be great, especially if it utilizes a unique ride mechanism, maybe a ceiling hanging ride vehicle that has special motions programed in. It could rival Carsland, which I think is important as a lot of guests are getting really p.o.'d that they can get on RSR due to long lines and Fast Pass popularity. I also don't think they need to follow the films verbatim when making the ride, this flopped horribly with Mermaid which is a typical book report attraction that is more concerned about getting credit by mentioning each little plot point than with just letting guests have fun in Ariel's world.

Overall, I'm really happy with these plans as it was something I've been asking for, discussing with fans/Imagineering folks, online (Miceage and another site) for years (Monstropolis Corner in DCA with Monsters Inc. E-Ticket)! Maybe Disney does listen to fans, either way, I'm glad that Disney is "doing right" by Monsters Inc. and letting guests explore the world of Monstropolis which is a whole lot more exciting than faux-Hollywood and little references most folks don't get.

My only question is will the counter-service locations be serving Blort? My favorite part of Monsters Inc. is the queue with all these little cut monsters references, (which you can get if you can't remember much of the film), a whole sub-land with Monsters Inc. jokes/easter eggs and theming would be dynamite eye candy and placemaking at its best.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Overall, I'm really happy with these plans as it was something I've been asking for, discussing with fans/Imagineering folks, online (Miceage and another site) for years (Monstropolis Corner in DCA with Monsters Inc. E-Ticket)! Maybe Disney does listen to fans
    Yep, you are the entire reason that WDI is looking at plans for Hollywoodland.

Let me just say that there are multiple ideas currently being looked at for Hollywoodland. There is a plan to bring more Monsters into the area, but there are just as many other ideas. And absolutely nothing is as solid as Al is making it out to be.

•   
    • Minion

I think both of these ideas sound great. I hope they both get green lighted! Seeing movement in the sky in TL is missing and the TRON idea could really help that area seem alive and busy. As for the Monsters INC mini land I am all for that as well. That corner needs something to help it out. I have already given up on the DCA original theme and I embrace the second gate as a place called Disney's California Adventure. This DCA is way better than the first in my opinion and only getting better.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I'm not so sure why they want to keep that open space just for the dance parties. They are insanely popular now but what's to say its going to remain that way 10 years from now? Swing dancing was popular in the 1950s but in 2012 it lost its popularity so much they only did it once a week in Disneyland.
    so they can play this! haha

• Filmmaker

Repost of my comment on the article:
    I agree with the general consensus that Monstropolis is not right for that section of the park. Monstropolis is a fantastic environment and has always absolutely begged to be recreated in a theme park, but tacking it on as a subland of Hollywood Land seems thematically lazy.

What I’d rather see them do is combine the show building of Mike & Sully to the Rescue with Stage 17, add a more elaborate indoor queue themed to Monstropolis, and put the Door Coaster in there, perhaps recycling some sets and animatronics from the original attraction. I’m also of the mind that Muppet*Vision is worth preserving because it was the final Muppets film Jim Henson directed before his death and it’s also just a really great show that still holds up to this day. By all means, plus the effects, add a more interesting facade (my vote goes for a version of El Capitan in reference to the new film), but keep the show.

As for the TRON Lightcycle ride, I’m in wait and see mode. TRON attraction proposals have been on again off again since Legacy came out so I’m not going to care too much either way until something official is announced. That being said, Tomorrowland is really due for a retheme, and TRON might be a nice inclusion.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    Having a hard time getting behind this monstropolis idea. Maybe a monsters version of Hollywood I dunno. Maybe they can use they characters to pay homage to classic monster movies. But I'm defiantly on board for a tron attraction.
    I think your ideas are an improvement but I'm still not sold.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
    I love both ideas. Clearly, the folks at TDA saw what could be done with a specifically-themed land (Cars Land, as opposed to Fantasy Land, etc), and how successful such lands can be. I think it's an exciting idea, even if there are other 'lands' I might rather see if I had my 'druthers. My question for y'all would be: What other similarly-specifically-themed lands would you like to see?
    Finding Dory/Nemo overlay for Tomorrowland
    Toy Story Pier
    The Incredible Buena Vista Street
    Planes Flats (featuring a Dumbo style spinner in front of Soarin')
    Up makeover for Pacific Wharf (elevate the entire land under a helium balloon)

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    I agree with everyone else... DCA is becoming Pixar Land. Enough with the Pixar attractions already. Sheesh.
    Or maybe Jasimeray is right?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Do you remember Tomorrowland's dance floors being popular in the 70s and Videopolis in Fantasyland in the 80s and 90s? Every time they offer a fresh place to listen to live or dj'ed music and dance, it's wildly successful.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    [T]his little boxed-in area of the park would work best as some urban environment, such as a Monstropolis or a Muppets corner . . . though another Muppets film is in the works
    Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post

Let me just say that there are multiple ideas currently being looked at for Hollywoodland. There is a plan to bring more Monsters into the area, but there are just as many other ideas. And absolutely nothing is as solid as [the article] is making it out to be.
    I'm not a fan of the MUPPETS attraction at DCA, but that said, if Disney shot a "MUPPET FILM NOIR" spoof in 30's Hollywood and released it in theaters, they could even shoot some sequences on location in Anaheim, which would give this part of HOLLYWOOD LAND both a genuine shooting location used in a movie, as a back lot area to Hollywood Land, tie into the era they're trying to present, and tie in the attractions that are housed there.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast