Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223

• Filmmaker

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

In my opinion, land themes are a bit more flexible than that. New Orleans Square, for instance, takes place in the 19th century, but the attraction, Pirates of the Caribbean takes place well before that. It still hits all the major aspects of fitting into the theme without a rigid adherence to the time setting.

Likewise, Tower of Terror hits a lot of the major themes of that area of the park: it's a representation of the golden age of Hollywood and it deals with production in a way that puts the audience in the center of it all. Yes, there are some anachronisms, but who's to say when they retheme that area there couldn't be an implied element of time travel walking down Sunset Blvd. (just as there is in the early parts of PotC). Near the current backlot section the street could look brand new and freshly paved, while getting progressively more weathered and degraded as you approach the hotel.

There's no reason to abandon the theme of an entire area because one popular attraction doesn't fit perfectly.

• Minion

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    There's no reason to abandon the theme of an entire area because one popular attraction doesn't fit perfectly.
    There's no theme to abandon--Hollywoodland has been pretty much untouched in the DCA makeover. If Monsters or Avengers need a spot in the parks, may as well be Hollywoodland, because as of right now, it's not themed to really anything. As it is now, it's hard to say something 'doesn't fit', because it's pretty much a jumble. But one thing is for sure, 1930's it is not.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    There's no theme to abandon--Hollywoodland has been pretty much untouched in the DCA makeover. If Monsters or Avengers need a spot in the parks, may as well be Hollywoodland, because as of right now, it's not themed to really anything.
    Sure, but the fact that they haven't implemented the proposed theming yet doesn't mean we should just say "screw it, put Monsters in there!" That area of the park is currently broken which means it needs fixing, not further damage.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Sure, but the fact that they haven't implemented the proposed theming yet doesn't mean we should just say "screw it, put Monsters in there!" That area of the park is currently broken which means it needs fixing, not further damage.
    Exactly. I really don't want them to give up on the theming just because it's already flawed. You don't have to make the rides perfectly true to theme but you have to at least make a creative attempt at ideas that could work in the lands that are there. Otherwise you are just killing the whole aspect of a themed park.

Dropping in/expanding another Pixar franchise at this point would be complete overkill. Yes I know there is already one ride but I think it should be just that one ride. What exactly about Monstropolis from the actual movie is worth immersion other than the scare factory or the sushi restaurant? At least in Cars, there are a variety of significant places that are park adaptable for immersion such as the Cozy Cone, the V8 Cafe, and Ramone's.

I wish they would try shopping this to DHS again (after George K takes over) and they can put it in Pixar Place where it is more needed and more fit. If they really want to do Monstropolis, save it for the Marvel/StarWars/Whatever third gate they will do in future time.

I hope this is just one of those jumping the gun ideas of possible-lands-to-promote-possibly-successful-movies like the suits have done with John Carter and Oz (and the upcoming Lone Ranger). This trend of Disney hoping for a successful movie franchise to make a land out of is starting to get pretty annoying.

The largest problem for Disney is that the theme of the park was flawed from the beginning. It would have been much easier had it been a Hollywood theme, as almost anything would make sense.

But you've got a pier, a wharf, and the center of the park is a mountain in the shape of the animal on the California flag. There is only so much you can do with it without overhauling almost the entire thing.

They've done a great job turning the ship around, but I don't think it will ever be cohesive again if "California" is the theme. I agree with the poster who said that its really now more of a name that says, "Here's an adventure, and it's in California," much like "Disneyland" says, "Here's a land from the mind of Walt Disney," as opposed to "Here's a land about Walt Disney."

The previous theme was, "Here's an adventure where you see all the great things about California."

Perhaps the whole thing becomes a hodgepodge. But that's really because of the limitations of its initial design and theme, IMO.

• Minion

How can you damage something that is nonexistent? Right now the back area of Hollywood is a nonsensical mess

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    right, but we aren't part of an episode that takes place earlier..

look, we enter the hotel after it's been abandoned. That automatically puts us at 1940 at the very earliest--this already contradicts the idea of the 1930's.

then we enter the library where we watch the Twilight Zone...that puts us at at least 1959. We aren't part of an episode, the episode is about the 1939 Hollywood Tower Hotel. The only part we, the guests, play is the part of exploring the hotel...we aren't part of an episode of the Twilight Zone, we are the episode's audience that investigates the story behind the episode further.

Either way, with the Tower of Terror looming in the background, Hollywoodland can never be the 1930's. It was built for DHS to take place in the present, and was built in DCA when Hollywood Pictures Backlot was placed in the present. They might as well not even stick with this 1930's theming because it's majorly contradicted and hasn't even begun yet anyway.
    Hollywoodland's theme isn't exactly the 1930's, it's representing the golden age of Hollywood cinema which was from the 1920's all the way to the very early 60's, in that case your theory of the attraction's time period would still fit ( although I still think the whole attraction can still take place in the 40's). At this point ToT is really one of the only attractions that actually fits in HL besides it being the incarnation of an attraction that's supposed to be in the present.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    Hollywoodland's theme isn't exactly the 1930's, it's representing the golden age of Hollywood cinema which was from the 1920's all the way to the very early 60's, in that case your theory of the attraction's time period would still fit ( although I still think the whole attraction can still take place in the 40's). At this point ToT is really one of the only attractions that actually fits in HL besides it being the incarnation of an attraction that's supposed to be in the present.
    And so too did Sunset Blvd extend the time period represented by Hollywood Blvd.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

I would love to see Hollywood Land more in tune with the time period between 1940-60's. Buena Vista Street does a great job of covering the Los Angeles look and atmosphere from the twenties and through the thirties (Snow White did premiere at Carthay in 1937 and one of the Red Cars is a 1930's model) and I feel a post-WWII Hollywood would be the perfect complement.

In that time period you still had the art deco and mission styles of the early 20th century, but you also had the emergence of more streamline and mid-century modern styles (with eccentric architecture like Googie coming straight out of the LA area). Post-WWII was a period of cultural explosion in Hollywood and was a time (1940-1960's) when Hollywood was the nostalgic icon and progressive trendsetter of glamorous America. If they broadened the time frame to be this "Golden Age" of Hollywood, they could definitely play around more with ride ideas and architectural presence of the land. The 1950's in and of itself opens itself up to many possibilities. This open time frame (1940-50's) allows things like the Tower of Terror, a hotel abandoned in 1939 and part of a Twilight Zone (1959-1964) storyline, to exist alongside a working Red Car (which was disbanded around 1958). A fantastical conglomerate of the best of those times.

This type of retheme could allow things like the 50's Prime Time Cafe and Sci-Fi Diner to exist; I wouldn't want direct clones but similar things. SO many famous and iconic clubs opened in Hollywood during this time. I would love to see a B-Movie, Sci-Fi monster attraction near, and maybe inspired by, the Monsters Inc. area. Something that fits the aesthetics of the 40-60's and has B-movie monster vibe. That would be great. You can do things that fit that vintage and retro period of TV and movie culture.

I also think this could allow the PERFECT transition to use the last bit of parking lot between Hollywood Land and Cars Land. In Cars Land, they can go through with plans to build Radiator Springs Drive-In diner behind Luigi's and continue on the road back to a mid-century modern facade that would house an Incredible's attraction. The environment of the Incredible's has that mid-century look that fits both in Cars Land (the most well-known and largest collection of mid-century modern architecture is in the desert town of Palm Springs in CA that grew as a Hollywood oasis post-WWII) and in this 1940-60's time frame for Hollywood Land.

I just love and find this period of time (late forties and fifties) in Hollywood to be so interesting and iconic. I am enamored by the music, fashion, architecture...I just recently watched the movie Gangster Squad and the cinematography and attention to period detail is FANTASTIC. You really get a sense of what LA/Hollywood was back in 1949. I highly recommend anyone interested in that iconic time to watch this movie just for that visual eye candy.
    Last edited by SoCalFan; 04-28-2013 at 09:19 PM.

• Minion

^that would just be so amazing

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223