Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

Forgive me if I don't yet believe the Tron rumor.

I can see how Disney would want a Tron ride in Tomorrowland around 2016; especially since they are working on another movie. But the People Mover track is a big red flag.

Disney was spending upwards of $1 million a month in maintenance with the Rocket Rods, as the speed of the cars was wearing out the tires too quickly. Both the belts on the track and the tires on the cars would need to be replaced so often that the cost of maintaining the ride was just too much for the Pressler-era murderers.

So if the Tron Light Cycles would just be a repainted Rocket Rods, Disney is going to be eating too much in maintenance costs again.

That means they'd need to device a new mechanism to drive the cycles, but if they did that; they'd likely have to redo the track itself.

So I don't know...

• Space Mountain Fanboy

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

I also seem to remember hearing somewhere, from a cast member perhaps, I don't recall exactly, that it's difficult for them to do anything with the People Mover track because OSHA requires emergency exits every 100 feet or so (I don't recall the exact number) along the track, so if there were any rides that used that track, they'd have to basically renovate the entire track. And that would be pretty expensive proposition. And given how the track goes inside some buildings, the buildings themselves would have to undergo construction. Like the Space Mountain building for an obvious example.

Yeah, not sure about that.

Though, of course, I'd be delighted with anything Tron-themed in Tomorrowland.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Cars lan could fit into the California Desert/route 66 feel, but a straight out monsters inc land basically? Why spend all the money themeing BVS to 1930's So Cal if Hollywood is being replaced by Monstropolis?

Meh, I'm all for Tomorrowland stuff, though at least Tron could be argued that digitization of human beings could be argued as 'technology of Tomorrow'. Hopefully round 2 of trying to make a thrill ride out of the Peoplemover track doesnt get Rocket Rodd'
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBrian View Post
    I also seem to remember hearing somewhere, from a cast member perhaps, I don't recall exactly, that it's difficult for them to do anything with the People Mover track because OSHA requires emergency exits every 100 feet or so (I don't recall the exact number) ...
    That just doesn't make sense, look at Six Flags, Knott's or any other So Cal theme park that has tracks in the sky.

• Space Mountain Fanboy

also, in regards to the Monstropolis idea, the only reason I don't like the idea of putting a thrill ride in that area is because it would be Monsters Inc themed. And if it's Monsters Inc themed, then it would have to be a very tame thrill ride, similar perhaps to Gadget's Go Coaster so that the youngling Monsters fans can meet the height requirement. So, basically, we'd end up with another Bug's Land type of area for the younglings, very close by, separated by Tower of Terror. Yeah, I'm not sure I like that idea. Better to put a Bug's Life themed Gadget's Go Coaster-type ride in A Bug's Land or something. Especially since it attaches directly to Car's Land.

The other problem of course, as I realized it as I typed it up, is if they do re-theme that area to Monstropolis, then they might as well rename the park Pixarland or Pixar Adventure and be done with it.

• Space Mountain Fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    That just doesn't make sense, look at Six Flags, Knott's or any other So Cal theme park that has tracks in the sky.
    If a ride vehicle breaks down during that portion of those rides, the vehicles won't be stopping on the track, they'll be falling and hitting the ground with a high velocity. So no need for emergency exits.

• Closed Account

Those are rollercoasters. Different regulations for those.

This is a suspended track for what originally were slow moving cars. As it's not a rollercoaster track, OHSA requires emergency exits at specified intervals along the track.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

This TRON ride sounds more like a roller coaster / thrill ride than a People Mover. I think what might happen is they'll remove the old People Mover track and rebuild along (most of) the former "Right of Way".

• Banned User

Let's take this one at a time. the Monsters idea is ridiculous. The movie is not popular enough to warrant this and the single ride that exists now is considered a flop. Why would they put more of this in the park?? It's one of the worst Pixar films created. It has nothing to do with Hollywood/Ca. Horrible, awful, April fools level absurd.

As for Tron, BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is well overdue and would be incredible.

I don't mind film tie-ins, as Disney is a film studio. People will have to get over that, but keep them themed and keep them quality. The public wants to see films come to life and Disney should provide that.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

This TRON ride sounds more like a roller coaster / thrill ride than a People Mover. I think what might happen is they'll remove the old People Mover track and rebuild along (most of) the former "Right of Way".
    Sounds like a Rocket Rods 2.0 that hopefully they'll actually invest the appropriate amount in to make sure it doesn't turn out terrible.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    Let's take this one at a time. the Monsters idea is ridiculous. The movie is not popular enough to warrant this and the single ride that exists now is considered a flop. Why would they put more of this in the park?? It's one of the worst Pixar films created. It has nothing to do with Hollywood/Ca. Horrible, awful, April fools level absurd.
    Uh...

It's one of the most popular Pixar movies, and the dark ride is pretty popular in DCA as well...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I don't know about that. Monster's Inc. is pretty darn popular, and I wouldn't say the ride is a flop. I'd argue its location can prevent crowds but I've waited thirty minutes to get on Monster's.

If they can construct an entire area based on A Bug's Life, they can do it for Monster's Inc.. I just hope they don't put it in DCA, LOL.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Forgive me if I don't yet believe the Tron rumor.

Disney was spending upwards of $1 million a month in maintenance with the Rocket Rods, as the speed of the cars was wearing out the tires too quickly. Both the belts on the track and the tires on the cars would need to be replaced so often that the cost of maintaining the ride was just too much for the Pressler-era murderers.
    I don't believe the article was suggesting using the people mover track. It specifically said "Route", which is a decided difference. I think the idea is to put something in place, but with NEW track.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Uh...

It's one of the most popular Pixar movies, and the dark ride is pretty popular in DCA as well...
    I'm aware they're making a sequel, but who's actually been waiting for it the last 10 years???

Monsters Inc. is a great movie, but I wouldn't want a land based on it. Cars land has alot of charm to it and it goes with the California theme perfectly. But throwing Monsters Inc in DCA seems like an after thought. Let's please not have another Bugs Land!

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast