Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• "I don't like the color"

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

It's really funny how Carsland gets a pass and not Monsteropolis around here. Who's to say that Monsteropolis won't be themed to DCA "Standards"? DCA has become less of a tribute to the Golden State anyway so why not? It is interesting to see the comments about "theme" in this thread considering what went on in the PFF thread.
    No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    It's really funny how Carsland gets a pass and not Monsteropolis around here. Who's to say that Monsteropolis won't be themed to DCA "Standards"? DCA has become less of a tribute to the Golden State anyway so why not? It is interesting to see the comments about "theme" in this thread considering what went on in the PFF thread.
    That's not true at all. Everything about the revamp of DCA fits into Ca. Nothing about Monsters does.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    It's really funny how Carsland gets a pass...
    Now maybe but do you forget all the "Cars takes place in Arizona" posts before it opened?

I think Monstropolis is a bit more of a stretch, for sure.

I am really loving this Tron rumor. Perhaps, I need some clarification though. Al mentioned that the Tron ride would be an E-Ticket coaster, using the technology from the Tron ride in Shanghai Disneyland, and would be utilizing the Peoplemover track. I don't understand how these add up. The SDL is supposed to be the biggest E-Ticket for that parr. It is going to be a motorbike coaster and is replacing Space Mountain. I don't see how something of that scale would fit on the Peoplemover track. I could see if he meant they were tearing down the track to inside the ride but I don't see how the former is possible.

I think this would be a much better E-Ticket for TL instead of the supposed Iron Man ride. Let's leave Marvel and/or Star Wars for the third gate. But where would they put this. In order to recreate the Grid, it would require a large footprint and I don't see them tearing down the COP theater just yet.

With the much forecasted TL makeover and infatuation for dance partys, perhaps they could add the Tron coaster as well as bring back elecTRONica, but put it in Tomorrowland. You would now have two different nightly dance venues for people to choose from. Not to mention, the consensus is that elecTRONica was a better experience overall.

The idea of a Tron coaster plus return of elecTRONica would create a nice Grid mini-land and have a pseudo TL-retheme. I am excited.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    That's not true at all. Everything about the revamp of DCA fits into Ca. Nothing about Monsters does.
    Radiator Springs is set in the South West...not California. So if that fits, so could Monsteropolis...

• Filmmaker

Cars at least has the pretense of fitting in a California-esque setting as well as playing on car culture which is a very californian thing. It's not a pitch-perfect match, but it hits enough of the right notes and is done well enough to feel right.

There is nothing inherently Californian about Monstropolis, it's a fictional world populated entirely by monsters set in a parallel universe to our own, only accesible via portals in the form of closet doors. The only vaguely californian pretense is that it was produced in California, but if we're going with that anything is fair game.

As I said before, Monstropolis is a highly inventive world and I would love to see it recreated for a theme park, but DCA, speciffically Hollywood Land is a poor place for it.

• One Little Spark...

I love love love the Tron idea. I would love to see them construct a building that could house an indoor 'roller coaster' part of the Tron Cycles. Imagine, racing along the People Mover track and then being blasted into The Grid.

The Monstropolis idea threw me off. I'm not opposed to it, but I think there are better ideas out there. If the new area and film is a success, do you think we could see a possible third Monsters Inc in the future?

• Closed Account

Monstropolis is a much better idea than the underused Muppets building and a big empty building used for dance competitions and merchandise previews.

• Minion

Radiator Springs could easily be a real place in California. Not to mention California and Arizona look alike, terrain-wise. Cars Land is pretty natural, unlike Monstropolis.

• Banned User

I don't think DCA needs another Monsters ride. Monsters is my least favorite Pixar animated movie. I would love an Incredibles ride.

A Tron lightcycle ride is not quite what Tomorrowland needs. Although it might fit the theme, the sequel was the dullest thing to come out recently. Beyond boring. More lighted tracks and lighted screens inside the Tomorrowland building is not inspiring. The aesthetic is almost non-existent.

How will they fix the People Mover tracks. Wasn't the condition/construction of the People Mover tracks the main reason Rocket Rods closed down? This seems like a low priority.

The construction schedules seem strange. I would think the DCA addition will be done first, but this isn't the rumor. Thus, I'm not so sure I can trust it.

•   
    • Minion

Here is how you fix the theme for Monstropolis. You put the gateway to it as a setting in CA. Then when you step through it you are in their world. I am being sarcastic more than serious. Like I mentioned above the CA strict theme is long gone already now it's just a California adventure in itself with a tribute to the state. They could theme the mini land to fit into the hollywood theme as well. Recent projects have shown they are really doing a better job at making expansions so I would expect nothing less here if it gets green lighted.

Reading some of the posts above I find it funny as well Carsland is getting a free pass for fitting in the CA theme. If you want to be strict about theme I believe that the talking cars are way out of place in Carsland and don't belong in a CA theme park. It comes down to people preferences when debate threads come up. I happen to like Monster's INC a lot so of course i welcome this change.
    Last edited by biggsworth; 04-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Route 66 is a 'southwest' theme, of which California fits into the whole "Route 66" culture.

Monsters, unlike PFF or Cars (in which PFF is set in an area 'closer' to Fantasyland than Main Street among other arguments, and Carsland, which in all honesty, after watching the movie never knew it was set in Arizona and is still themed to the 'southwest', I thought it was in California to begin with), doesnt have a basis really in "California" as fake Hollywood did.

its pretty much like "Its a bugs land" co-opting the actual themed to California, Bountiful Farms area
    Last edited by Wren; 04-09-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Stoked for the Tron ride! Hope it happens...
    As for Monstropolis, I love the monsters inc. ride, And DCA is heavily pixar themed so I'm not shocked that they are thinking of doing this...it's pretty barren in that area so im happy it will be getting some attention..

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    its pretty much like "Its a bugs land" coopting the actual themed to California Bountiful farms area
    At least A Bug's Life has a vague enough setting that it could have taken place in California (after all, California does have bugs) but Monstropolis is not a vague setting at all. It's a specific setting that does not exist in our world, in California or otherwise.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Route 66 is a 'southwest' theme, of which California fits into the whole "Route 66" culture.

Monsters, unlike PFF or Cars (in which PFF is set in an area 'closer' to Fantasyland than Main Street among other arguments, and Carsland, which in all honesty, after watching the movie never knew it was set in Arizona and is still themed to the 'southwest', I thought it was in California to begin with), doesnt have a basis really in "California" as fake Hollywood did.

its pretty much like "Its a bugs land" co-opting the actual themed to California, Bountiful Farms area
    They did a good job of co-opting Arizona to make it seem like it was in California.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast