Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    They did a good job of co-opting Arizona to make it seem like it was in California.
    To be fair, the Southwest generally all looks the same

I mean, at least when you drive to Vegas, if there wasn't the state line, you wouldn't know when you had actually left California and crossed into Nevada.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

i can get behind the tron idea. i would certainly take that over anything marvel. i was a fan of rocket rods, & if they can improve on that concept i'm sure it'll be fun. especially if a new tomorrowland aesthetic comes with it.

but, i wish they would do a frontierland expansion first. construction would be fairly non-obtrusive (except for maybe on the railroad) & it would add capacity to the parks when tomorrowland goes down for a remodel. makes sense to me.

as for DCA, i think (hope) that they'll come up with something better than monstropolis. preferably something actually hollywood related. i'm not against film-based attractions, but when thats the case the attraction needs to transcend the film (ie. splash mountain). while i'm sure that a door scene based rollercoaster could be fun, it lacks the originality that hollywood land desperately needs.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Now maybe but do you forget all the "Cars takes place in Arizona" posts before it opened?

I think Monstropolis is a bit more of a stretch, for sure.
    Yes, I remember all of that
    If, and that's a big if, the Imagineers can make Monsteropolis look like a vintage version of LA then the stretch would be less thats for sure.
    No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    If, and that's a big if, the Imagineers can make Monsteropolis look like a vintage version of LA then the stretch would be less thats for sure.
    To me, that would be equally unfortunate. It still wouldn't really fit the theme of 1930s Hollywood, and it would also lack the immersive element of taking you into Monstropolis as it appeared in the film.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    To be fair, the Southwest generally all looks the same
    The southwest region includes Southern California, but the aesthetic is its own style that generally covers Arizona to New Mexico and maybe as far as Texas and far north at Utah (Zion or Arches). You can say California has a bit of it, but the mountain ranges represented in Carsland is not what you normally see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Cars at least has the pretense of fitting in a California-esque setting as well as playing on car culture which is a very californian thing. It's not a pitch-perfect match, but it hits enough of the right notes and is done well enough to feel right.

There is nothing inherently Californian about Monstropolis, it's a fictional world populated entirely by monsters set in a parallel universe to our own, only accesible via portals in the form of closet doors. The only vaguely californian pretense is that it was produced in California, but if we're going with that anything is fair game.

As I said before, Monstropolis is a highly inventive world and I would love to see it recreated for a theme park, but DCA, speciffically Hollywood Land is a poor place for it.
    How is a fictional land populated entirely with talking cars any different than a fictional world populated entirely with monsters?

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

How is a fictional land populated entirely with talking cars any different than a fictional world populated entirely with monsters?
    Monstropolis was its own dimension, Radiator Springs is in Arizona apparently.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Minion

Simple. Name change: Disney's Adventure Park.

I'm, in general, in favor of thrill rides so I think two new ones would be great. And I'm not a big fan of the Monsters, Inc. movie but I genuinely do not understand the animosity aimed at the fun little Monsters, Inc. ride in DCA. It's colorful and tells a story.

• Closed Account

It's in Arizona...in a world populated by talking cars.

To me, that would be equally unfortunate. It still wouldn't really fit the theme of 1930s Hollywood, and it would also lack the immersive element of taking you into Monstropolis as it appeared in the film.
    Monsteropolis looks like a run of the mill city albeit with monsters walking around, there could be a lot the Imagineers could do to tighten up the appearance of walking into Monsteropolis.

Yes, and if I were to go to Arizona would I see talking cars? It's all fantasy.

• Filmmaker

I go on to explain that after the bolded part, but I'll go ahead and recap:

Cars, while a fictional world populated entirely by sentient cars, at least takes place in some version of the American Southwest (of which California is part of). It also features Route 66 as a major element of the film's story, a road that is important to the history of California, as well as riffs on car culture, a culture that is of significant importance to California.

On the other hand Monsters, Inc. does not take place in any version of this world, it does not deal with themes that are significant to California history or culture, and more specifically has nothing to do with 1930s Hollywood other than the loosest qualification of being a movie made in California (though Emmeryville isn't even close to Hollywood).

Monsteropolis looks like a run of the mill city albeit with monsters walking around, there could be a lot the Imagineers could do to tighten up the appearance of walking into Monsteropolis.
    Not quite. Everything from the archetecture to the signage and everything else is themed around Monsters. It's unlike any city you'd find on Earth, in California or otherwise.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

I think Monstropolis would be a big mistake. In fact, I'd like them to take out Monsters Inc. and Muppets 3D and redo that whole area.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Yes, and if I were to go to Arizona would I see talking cars? It's all fantasy.
    Still its based on real world locations. Monstropolis never had that illusion that it was based in our actual 'real' world, its off in its own dimension, connected to ours by closet doors

Regardless of them both being 'fantasy', its an alternate version of our world vs completely separate from our world entirely

And what Illusion said.
    -Dr. Strange

Not quite. Everything from the archetecture to the signage and everything else is themed around Monsters. It's unlike any city you'd find on Earth, in California or otherwise.
    You sure about that? Looks awfully normal to me:
    Name:  mon2.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  12.9 KB

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast