Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

Like most of you, I think the whole idea to do a whole themed on the Monsters films is ridiculous. As so many have already said here and on other threads, whole lands shouldn't be based on one film franchise (I'll give Cars Land a pass) and there is too much Pixar influence in DCA. Not to mention, again as has been stated, Monsters the theme doesn't even fit in with the California theme of the park!

As for The TRON idea at Tomorrowland, I'll all about it! I've been thinking for a while that Tron should be part of TL as it's an original Disney film, and has also has more than just one movie to make it relevant. Stylistically it's also super cool and it fits thematically with TL (enough of this crap of shoving attractions in places they don't belong!). And I love that they'll finally be making use of the PeopleMover track. To be honest, I would love if they brought that ride back (with the obvious necessary improvements), but if they won't do that I'm all for the TRON attraction!

• Artistic integrity

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

I have a good idea!

Lets freeze Bob Iger till his contract is up.

That way ... he cannot approve one more film-franchise attraction, mini land, full land for the remainder of his tenure.

And the parks will be safe from his "milk every franchise" tentacles.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Why make a non muppet the star of the show, especially something with no redeeming qualities.
    Calling Waldo the "star of the show" is dubious at best. The Muppets have always been about the ensemble, and Waldo is just another player in that ensemble. Besides, he has less screen time than characters like Kermit or even Bean Bunny.

• Artistic integrity

I want to see every idea imagineering has ... for Hollywoodland .. and Tomorrowland ... because ... surely ..... there are better ideas.

Back on Tron again?

I'll go back to my four logistical issues of it being "Tron":

Day Light Hours -
    The ride would play up great in the night-time .. except one thing .. the park is open during day light hours as well! Won't look so cool in the daylight hours.

Human Eye Adjustment -
    We would start in the dark environment, within a "Space Mountain" type environment. Then bolt out in the bright sunlight ... Our iris won't adjust fast enough ... and we'll be hit with blinding light ... coming out of the "Tron" showbuilding ... onto the former P.M. track route.

Family Attraction vs. Fast Thrill for young only -
    The Peoplemover invited the entire family - from the very young to the old. That's the "Disneyland" way - keep the family together. Another fast thrill ride .. will alienate a large group of people.

Capacity -
    Peoplemover had an hourly capacity of 4,880. That beats out even the highest capacity attractions today. With Disneyland's super sized 21st Century crowds ... they need HIGH CAPACITY attractions! A Tron "bike" ride .. I'd predict wouldn't be much better than Rocket Rods. And that was awful!

I want to see EVERYTHING .. that Imagineering has up their sleeves.
    Not just one imagineer's idea or one imagineering team .... who's trying to push through .. and use Lutz to gain popularity.

LETS SEE WHAT ELSE THERE IS!
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    1. Monsters Inc. is ALREADY in DCA.

2. How is it any different than Cars Land?
    Carsland is about car culture and the landscape is very California, it has EVERYTHING to do with CA.

• Mrs. J. Depp

If there is ONE Pixar themed land or sub-land that I 100% agree with, it's Monstropolis. So I hope that idea actually comes to fruition.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Nutty about Disney parks

Just to sum up my thoughts on a Monsters Inc land (and losing The Muppets for it) in a land supposed to theme to 1930s Hollywood:

I honestly never considered Monsters Inc to be that much of a memorable film anyway (especially in comparison to the other Pixar films).

They might as well change the park name to Pixar Studios and call it a day.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    I would like to see a mini Muppet Studios. Update Muppet Vision, turn Monsters Inc into the Great Muppet Movie Ride and have another attraction in the unused Hollywood and Dine. Or even turn that area into a sit-down Muppet themed restaurant. There could even be a live Muppet show on the outdoor stage that could parody Disneyland attractions.

Just some thoughts
    It's funny how using the Muppets as a bridge to Hollywood...Like you suggested, a whole Muppets studio area, would actually solve more of their problems AND fit thematically. Good thinking.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Although the Monster's Inc. coaster sounds interesting, what does it have to do with California? I'd like to see more attractions with California themes..
    You mean like the numerous California themed attractions that opened with DCA and failed miserably.

If they're really just going to completely turn DCA into Pixarland, at least dip a little further into the Pixar library before they start recycling characters who already have rides. For instance, where in the sake of Pete is the Incredibles ride? Seriously? Best Pixar movie behind the Toy Stories -- no ride. A Bug's Life: one of Pixar's weakest films -- 6 cheap attractions and their own land.

Heck, I'd take that DL Paris Ratatouille ride in DCA before we get another Monsters ride. Just a little diversity, please.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I have a good idea!

Lets freeze Bob Iger till his contract is up.

That way ... he cannot approve one more film-franchise attraction, mini land, full land for the remainder of his tenure.

And the parks will be safe from his "milk every franchise" tentacles.
    That sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    If there is ONE Pixar themed land or sub-land that I 100% agree with, it's Monstropolis. So I hope that idea actually comes to fruition.
    Totally agree.

Monsters Inc. was the first Pixar movie I ever saw, and I LOVED it. In a way, it helped get me back into watching animated features, and was the first computer-animated feature that impressed me. I didn't go see Toy Story or Antz or Bug's Life because I thought they looked horrible and were little kid movies. But Sully's fur blew my mind (especially that shot when he falls in the snow and ice crystals coat his fur), and it had a nice, heart-warming story, too.

I really like the concept of the Monsters Inc ride at Tokyo, and I think it would be great if they could do something on that level of creativity with Monstropolis. It would be even better if they tore down the existing ride in the process. It's too small scale and I always find myself identifying the old taxi ride animatronics (hey, Jackie Chan!).

The house facade across from the restrooms, where Mr. Incredible does meet and greets, already resembles the houses and street scene from Monstropolis, and it doesn't look out-of-place (it just looks cheap because it's a worthless facade). Some of the art work posted in this thread is of early concept art, and I don't think they represent the final film. Stick to the stills from the actual film when making an opinion, please.

As for Tomorrowland, I think it's great that it may get attention before Frontierland. Although I love that old Imagineering concept of a mine cart ride or whatever it was, Tomorrowland looks awful. I'm glad that TDA apparently recognizes it as a place people don't like spending time.

I couldn't care less for the Tron movies, but the light cycle ride concept sounds amazing. I, too, caught that they'll be using the old route, and (hopefully!!) not the old track. They have admitted that they could never have the people mover the way it was before. Without dedicated break zones, there would have to be emergency stairs, unless they could prevent the people mover from stopping in any ol' place.

It also sounds like there could be lots of original ideas going into Tomorrowland, as it doesn't sound like they'll be turning into one entire star wars or Tron land (although the fact that it wasn't said doesn't rule anything out).

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

What if its like Crush's Coaster with a Monsters theme?

I don't agree that Carsland has a place in California Adventure. The original idea was a Car Land which celebrated California's car culture and featured a Cars ride, but it wasn't one land devoted to that franchise. It was Lasseter who suggested building an entire land based on his movie, and it was a wrong, egotistical move.

So let's not compound the mistake by putting in another single-property area, and let's not double down on the mistake by making it a "mini-land," which is just insulting.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If only it had waited... Imagine ToonTown adjacent to 1940's Hollywood.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast