Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

Quote Originally Posted by choco choco View Post
    It was Lasseter who suggested building an entire land based on his movie, and it was a wrong, egotistical move.
    There's that Lasseter/ego argument again. If you've ever met him or worked with him, you'll know that he knows how to control his ego. You have to have an ego to work in the entertainment business. John does not let his get in the way of the final product.

Turning Carland into Cars Land gave the area a cohesive, unifying theme. The original ideas for Carland were as disconnected as the original DCA. Cars Land is a much better product all around.

Sorry.

Re: Disneyland Debate Thread: Monsters Invade Hollywoodland and Tron to rise TL again

... and I'd sooner take Carsland over another DCA 1.0 or, dare I say it, Superstar Limo.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I have a good idea!

Lets freeze Bob Iger till his contract is up.

That way ... he cannot approve one more film-franchise attraction, mini land, full land for the remainder of his tenure.

And the parks will be safe from his "milk every franchise" tentacles.
    While you and some others will not want the Tron ride....read most the comments....

Many people are very pleased with this news.....Many have WANTED Tron in the parks for years and I'd rather a Tron ride then nothing because we all know the people mover is not coming back

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    You mean like the numerous California themed attractions that opened with DCA and failed miserably.
    I bet if they were to come up with some concepts now, they'd be an improvement from the fails twelve years ago.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Um... if I may, (long time lurker, first time posting) personally... I'm a bit hesitant on Monsters getting a mini-land in DCA, it's not too themed to it, though that particular area where they'd be putting it isn't particularly themed to Hollywood either if we get down to it. Yes, we have a backlot area, but the place that will become Monstropolis tends to get re-themed fairly often, and despite how much I like the life that ElecTRONica and the tea party bring over to that section, it doesn't particularly go to the theme of "hollywood backlot" I think. Monstropolis could work, and I have enough faith in the folks behind the new DCA that it can be an area that is just as detailed (though maybe not quite as fitting) as Carsland.

As a side note: I really do hope that Monstropolis won't take out the Muppets, though I'm surprised there's no rumor of a quick "plussing" for the theater, by having a rotating Muppet 3D film. Now, you could keep the original, but there's no guarantee you'll see the same show twice, and it could improve the popularity of the attraction, especially if they decided to show various muppet shorts (imagine the muppets parodying disney films/parks) or even a quick stage show (if possible) that could keep things fresh and entertaining, and keep guests returning to the theater. This is pretty much why I think a Muppet Backlot could be a better fit, because with the right "plussing" it could be a much smarter use of space, especially if the attraction annexed stage 17 to add a second theater, though I'm not exactly sure if that's possible.

Either way, I'm just glad that Hollywood-land might be getting some well-deserved attention to make it fit the new DCA a bit better.

• Banned User

Anything, and I mean anything to be able to get to Monsters Coaster that was originally designed for DHS but funding was never greenlit.
    A hanging door ride vehicle that includes show scenes and some thrills!!!
    This attraction as well as the kuka arm Incredibles attraction that was being considered for DCA before CarsLand was decided on are the 2 most interesting and exciting rides pitched by WDI in a long time.

I love how the rabid fans on here are ecstatic about a themed ride for Tomorrowland based on a movie than nobody in America, and I mean nobody gives a crap about, yet despise the thought, upon the grounds of their superior creative knowledge, of a spectacular attraction based on a movie that lies in the collection of virtually every family in America and which we are all familiar with these characters.

And BTW, Pixar has been more Disney than Walt Disney Studios for the last 15 plus years. Pixar is Disney. They are one in the same and their MASSIVE success helps fund and create much of what you love in the parks.

You might as well be saying, " gosh there is just to much DISNEY in DCA. They just might as well change the name to Disney California Adventure."
    Its ridiculous and we should all thank the heavans to have Pixar because, for the most part, Disney movies have sucked over the past 20o years.

Pixar IS Disney.

Tomorrowland_1967, no offense, but a theme park built full of the kind of attractions that are so dear to your heart, and void of the kind of attractions you despise, would die a quick death.
    I like baseball. Always have. I think it is a much more cerebral game than football, more beautiful and definitely has the historic and the American family aspect to it.
    However, no matter how I feel, football has blown by baseball in popularity. Doesnt matter how much i tell people they are ignorant for liking football more or that baseball is much more easy going and intillectually enjoyable game for the whole family.

People JUST LIKE football more know.

Theme parks and theme park attraction have changed and what people want has changed in the same way.

I dont want nothing but thrill rides and noone appreciates rides like Pirates or Haunted Mansion more than I do.
    However, my favorite rides now are well themed attractions that have at least some thrill to them. And, this isnt just my opinion. These type of attractions are always the most popular with the longest lines.
    Also, your assessment that Disney only adds crazy thrill rides is just flat our wrong.
    Disney suffers from the very real problem of image among the 15 to 28 year old male and the female of that age group to some extent. They think its BORING and has too many slow boring kiddie rides. They flock to Universal.
    While I sure dont want Disney parks to just cater to the thrill seekers, I sure dont think it has been a good strategy to become culturally kind of "LESS COOL" than Universal. That is where society is headed and Disney sure needs to start striking a better balance.

• Banned User

Building CarsLand, which transformed DCA into POSSIBLY the third most visited Disney park in America, ahead of EPCOT, was a failure and a mistake for exactly who? If its a success for the company, which it is, and the people love it, which they do, then it is NOT a mistake. That is just a fact. It may not be your preference, but sometimes we all have to admit that our persoanl preferance doesnt realy mean much when compared to the preferances of the larger group.

I wouldn't mind a midstep thrill ride in Hollywood. Something that isn't quite as thrilling as ToT but more thrilling than pretty much anything else in the area would be fine. Disney coasters are always mild anyways.

I do agree that I'm a bit tired of the mono franchise themed lands. I can see where Disney's running out of ideas and this is becoming a source of strength but there's also alot they could do with the Hollywood element 1930's or not (granted I don't think I'd recommend the Great Movie ride as that ones pretty boring).

As much fun as origional ideas are I think most people are going to need to readdress their expectations Disney's become very much about synergy and if your looking for something fresh and innovative try supporting a different entity since its generally the younger companies more up on the new stuff (I'll admit it'd be pretty nice to see Disney leverage its massive funds into something entirely new and innovative though).

Monsters Inc ride sounds fun even if the theme dissapoints me a bit, could add some energy. Tron sounds better for Tomorrowland. Granted Tomorrowland seems heavy on the thrills? Really without details I'm not sure on what commenting on a possible Tron ride would mean.

In general Disney parks are still pretty light on thrills though it would be interesting to see them try for some sort of new unheard of effects based ride at some point. I think darkride wise wish they could somehow create a ride like Peter Pan but with better capacity and larger sets and effects.

Any kind of interesting expansion sounds good to me but I'm not sure I'll care more until we actually start to see some movement of some sort. Tomorrowland could definitely use a good reskin though.

Are we really just looking at new fireworks and parade for the 60th now? it DOES seem a bit late for much more but why not start laying down just a bit to handle these crowds.

I'd swear a while ago we were talking about an alleyway being built onto Mainstreet and maybe a balcony for firework viewing? If a new fireworks show is really the deal for the 60th why not get cracking on this new path? The show could be fresh and ambitious and they can solve a logistics issue before the next expansion goes through.

I remember when there was the rumor of them building another pay for eating balcony over in New Orleans for Fantasmic as well. I really wish Disney could get around to executing just a few of these projects as they all sound like they'd make navigating the park and the general experience much better. It just seems like something they ought to be getting done in these breather years between major attraction installations or whatever.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Banned User

Well its cool there are some actual ride rumors coming out but yeah I dont really know how I feel about either to be honest. The Tron ride, the rumor that just wont die lol, sounds fine thematically, but I honestly dont get why Disney will want to do it given the second movie just didnt wow people and it seem like its not a big franchise builder. Of course its been said, they already have the Shanghai one going in, so I imagine its just much cheaper to clone that and make some changes to fit the land. But you would think since they have spent a combined total of what, $6-7 billion buying both Marvel and LucasFilm, they start using those properties. NOT to mention both Star Wars and Marvel are just more popular and will have even more films coming that will get people excited. Even if they dont want to put a full Iron Man ride or another SW attraction in TL, seems like DCA IN Hollywoodland would fit fine. But maybe yes, there are bigger plans for those rides either in a new theme park or in other theme parks abroad. I'm not AGAINST the Tron idea, just seem like a head scratcher at this point when its still years away and the Tron thing is not exactly wowing people like a SW or Marvel attraction would. But thematically its pretty cool! I'm excited to see what they will do at Shanghai (and HOPEFULLY see it for myself!). So maybe when we see what they do it will be a great addition and maybe all (for once) Disney cares about. I mean that says something they put in Tron because it actually FITS TL vs Iron Man or, gag, Nemo!

As far as the Metropolis idea, I'm also a little Meh about it. Its hard to just down an idea without seeing what the actual idea IS, ie concept art, models, etc but yeah I dont get why not only does it have to be yet ANOTHER Pixar ride, but another Monsters Inc ride at that. I mean ok, lets stop kidding ourselves, DCA is basically a dumping ground for all Pixar properties. Even when you include the two movie themed lands, you still got the Pixar parade, TSMM (at one point PP was rumored to be one big Toy Story themed area as well), Monsters Inc and most of WOC is one big Pixar commercial anyway, its not a shock they want MORE Pixar attractions.

If thats the case, fine, make the backlot area a mini Pixar themed movie area. I would love to see the Ratattouie ride going in Paris to go instead. And/Or why not an Incredibles ride in this section of the park as well? Mix it up a bit. CL is great, probably the best thing to come to DLR and definitely DCA in a long time. It has obviously added to the park and made it into a more well rounded park. Bugs land is what it is, which is an area for kids. Done really well thematically and gives DCA a bit more fantasy. But I dont think there needs to be a THIRD Pixar movie themed area. But then again, this is probably another idea that will come and go!

All that said, I think people have to give up on the idea DCA is a Calif based park. They gave up that idea about 12 years ago now. They were smart to keep the lands Cali based and BVS enhanced the theme, but the rides and attractions will stay toon based mostly from this point on. RCT is the closes the park will have to a California attraction based on the history and Culture of the place...and thats because it was cheap to do. All C-E tickets will probably either be Pixar or classic animation like TLM. Its just my opinion and of course 10 years of DCA additions.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Anything, and I mean anything to be able to get to Monsters Coaster that was originally designed for DHS but funding was never greenlit.
    This attraction as well as the kuka arm Incredibles attraction that was being considered for DCA before CarsLand was decided on are the 2 most interesting and exciting rides pitched by WDI in a long time.

I love how the rabid fans on here are ecstatic about a themed ride for Tomorrowland based on a movie than nobody in America, and I mean nobody gives a crap about, yet despise the thought, upon the grounds of their superior creative knowledge, of a spectacular attraction based on a movie that lies in the collection of virtually every family in America and which we are all familiar with these characters.

And BTW, Pixar has been more Disney than Walt Disney Studios for the last 15 plus years. Pixar is Disney. They are one in the same and their MASSIVE success helps fund and create much of what you love in the parks.

You might as well be saying, " gosh there is just to much DISNEY in DCA. They just might as well change the name to Disney California Adventure."
    Its ridiculous and we should all thank the heavans to have Pixar because, for the most part, Disney movies have sucked over the past 20o years.

Pixar IS Disney.

Tomorrowland_1967, no offense, but a theme park built full of the kind of attractions that are so dear to your heart, and void of the kind of attractions you despise, would die a quick death.
    I like baseball. Always have. I think it is a much more cerebral game than football, more beautiful and definitely has the historic and the American family aspect to it.
    However, no matter how I feel, football has blown by baseball in popularity. Doesnt matter how much i tell people they are ignorant for liking football more or that baseball is much more easy going and intillectually enjoyable game for the whole family.

Theme parks and theme park attraction have changed and what people want has changed in the same way.

I dont want nothing but thrill rides and noone appreciates rides like Pirates or Haunted Mansion more than I do.
    However, my favorite rides now are well themed attractions that have at least some thrill to them. And, this isnt just my opinion. These type of attractions are always the most popular with the longest lines.
    Also, your assessment that Disney only adds crazy thrill rides is just flat our wrong.
    Disney suffers from the very real problem of image among the 15 to 28 year old male and the female of that age group to some extent. They think its BORING and has too many slow boring kiddie rides. They flock to Universal.
    While I sure dont want Disney parks to just cater to the thrill seekers, I sure dont think it has been a good strategy to become culturally kind of "LESS COOL" than Universal. That is where society is headed and Disney sure needs to start striking a better balance.
    While I'd have to see the concept art before having a real solid opinion Carsland was unique in the fact that it is based off a real place in america...route 66

It presents a place and somewhat different time many people enjoy, while Monsters Inc is based off a fake place that I don't know how many people really LOVED that town in the movie
    I think that movie was goo because of the characters in the story...while the setting was fine it was nothing I'd build a mini land too
    Also remember Carsland got a good size budget...I feel a mini Monsters land may only get enough money to somewhat make the land look nice but nothing as amazing as Carsland Mountain Range

• Minion

Since monstropolis doesn't seem to fit very well, what property would you add instead. Not that I prefer films...just asking. I could see who framed roger rabbit.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Pixar IS Disney.

Hey, great post, you make some awesome points and argue your position well.

But, honestly. Do you think Monstropolis is part of Hollywood or CA? At all?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    Since monstropolis doesn't seem to fit very well, what property would you add instead. Not that I prefer films...just asking. I could see who framed roger rabbit.
    That's called a more elaborate version of Toon Town, isn't it? Or the live action world, only?

• Banned User

Building CarsLand, which transformed DCA into POSSIBLY the third most visited Disney park in America, ahead of EPCOT, was a failure and a mistake for exactly who? If its a success for the company, which it is, and the people love it, which they do, then it is NOT a mistake. That is just a fact. It may not be your preference, but sometimes we all have to admit that our persoanl preferance doesnt realy mean much when compared to the preferances of the larger group.
    LOL, yeah, but welcome to the internet!

Must agree with this, but if what Al says is true and DCA was at 6 million in 2011 and can get up to 11 million in 2013, mainly because of CL, I have no idea how thats a mistake or failure? In fact it was probably the single smartest thing this resort has done in the last decade. The money was clearly well spent. And I think DCA 2.0 in general has just got people excited. The park is just much more alive now. These are good, good things.

The problem with the internet is sometimes people translate personal taste and preference onto the mass collective as if ALL of us has to feel the same way even though that mass collective truly sees it differently. CL is a big, big hit! RSR is still getting 2-3 hour waits. Thats pretty crazy. Last time I can remember a ride that had those waits nearly a year later was probably Indy. I cant think of any other ride that stayed that popular past summer. Even with all the hype, Nemo fell to around 45 mins within 6 months (of course mainly because its not that great). But not RSR. And CL is truly Disney in its design and execution.

If DCA made CL from day one, this park wouldve been a huge hit out of the gate.

• Minion

On Monsters Inc. mini-land:

This sounds 100 times better than what's there now.

This sounds 1,000,000 times less creative than what they could put there.

The only way that a movie studio theme works is if you have a...WORKING MOVIE STUDIO! Or at least try to simulate the excitement of one with actual movie-making themed attractions. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of boring warehouses.

As it is now, the first thing you see upon entering the "studio" is a "set", not of Monstropolis, but the opening credits sequence. And it's the least-impressive facade in the DLR. They didn't even bother to add some animation to it.

Monstropolis could be a fun setting to visit, complimenting the dark ride better than the backlot, and the door coaster could be fun.

On the other hand...

In the context of the theming, Cars Land is "real," and even "a bug's land" is "real". What does Monsters Inc. gain by being a "set on a movie backlot" instead? Nothing.

And it has even less to do with a more 1940's-ized rest-of-Hollywoodland.

I like Cars Land, and it was clearly a hit. I even think it fits the California theme somewhat, by tying in to Route 66, which was the way most people came to our state back in the day. But that doesn't mean that EVERYTHING should be (Random Hit Pixar Movie) Land.

The current generation of Imagineers are capable of being just as creative as the designers at Pixar. BVS shows that they can design a land that's not directly carbon-copied from a popular CGI movie. (Even though they had to make Disney references in the names of everything just so executives could understand that it "was Disney.")

I'd also like to see the filmmakers at both Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar get involved in creating an original attraction...you know, like the olden days, when the filmmakers at Walt Disney Productions were designing Disneyland and the professional amusement park people kept telling them they were crazy .

But people still like baseball, and they still play baseball, and people still buy tickets to ballgames, and merchandise, and memorobelia, and baseball is still televised on all different networks. It's not like they said, "well, football's more popular, so I guess we have to give up on this and become football players, 'cause that's how things work!"

And that's why USH often gives away an entire year if you buy a one-day pass.

Disneyland has never been "cool" in the context you're using. It has always been popular, but that's not the same thing. They don't need to immitate Universal. They need to lead the industry.

BTW, the Disney thrill rides are my favorites, but I think there should be a balance with non-thrill rides, whether or not one particular demographic thinks they're "cool" or not.
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 04-10-2013 at 01:26 AM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast