View Poll Results: Does Annette Funicello's contribution to the park warrant an Honorary Window?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 56.52%
  • No

4 8.70%
  • Some other small tribute

16 34.78%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Parking Lot > DCA

Re: Honorary Window for Annette?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I nice sentiment, but I think the windows should be reserved for more direct involvement with the parks.
    I have to agree with you and the others on this one.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I nice sentiment, but I think the windows should be reserved for more direct involvement with the parks.
    Yea, I'd have to agree with that.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

It is impossible for the young to understand the impact of the original Mickey Mouse Club.

On the day Disneyland opened, July 17th, 1955, all the Mouseketeers were in the parade and none of us knew who they were...because their show would not premier until September. Still they had a dance routine in front of the Mickey Mouse Club Theater in Fantasyland...and, in later years they were featured in a full color 3D movie in that theater.
    Then, of course, there was the Mickey Mouse Club Circus...and the Mouseketeers would often make special appearances in the park.

The Mickey Mouse Club captured the hearts and souls of millions of us kids starting back in 1955. There is and can be absolutely no question about the importance of that program in the history of the Walt Disney Company.

I believe that something should be done to remember Annette, Jimmy Dodd, and all those who were in that wonderful thing that millions of us loved so much.

At the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank they recognize these pioneers in a square dedicated to the Disney Legends. I think what is being said here is that there should be something for the public to see, enjoy, and remember.

I would like to see something on the order of a permanent exhibit...something like Walt Disney One Man's Dream...an attraction to showcase this important part of Disney History.

What some folks simply do not understand these days is that our love for Jimmy Dodd, for Annette, and all the Mouseketeers was, is, and always will be real, deep, and true. That program became a part of us. And that was all because of a man behind the scenes named
    Walt Disney. We need to do something to remember...to celebrate those people, those years...that show. Forever let us hold our banner high!

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Its hard for us to empathize with what the older crowd felt for the original Mousketeers.

Our Mousketeers were Brittney Spears and Christina Aguilera and Justin Timberlake
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

• Minion

ORDDU: Most likely it's hard for the younger crowd to empathize with Walt Disney, for that matter, yet his importance over the Disney company and Disneyland can't be diminished, regardless. You made a wonderful post, Wild Ol'Dan, duckling. Disneyland and Annette go hand in hand and I'm actually surprised that anyone would think it's inappropriate for her to have a window in her honor on Main Street at Disneyland.
    Last edited by Witches of Morva; 04-10-2013 at 04:13 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

It's a nice thought, but I think something in Fantasyland would be moe appropriate. And not just for Annette, but for the entire cast of the Mickey Mouse Club. Perhaps when the Fantasyland Theater reopens this year, ththey could christened it The Mickey Mouse Theater. They could theme the entire surrounding area with color statues of the iconic animated characters from the opening of the show. With a few different displays of these characters, it would allow for the names of the original Mickey Mouse Club members to be incorporated into and around this area.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think the arguments against giving Annette a window were well stated, and weren't influenced by the youth and inexperience of their posters.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Titanfreak46 View Post
    It isn't unprecedented for someone without "direct involvement" in the creation of the park to receive a window. I seem to remember Fess Parker got one in Frontierland. I think she's had just as much an impact as he had. I would say a window in Fantasyland but that might seem out of place because that land does not have proprietorships.
    Absolutely!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

It is impossible for the young to understand the impact of the original Mickey Mouse Club.

On the day Disneyland opened, July 17th, 1955, all the Mouseketeers were in the parade and none of us knew who they were...because their show would not premier until September. Still they had a dance routine in front of the Mickey Mouse Club Theater in Fantasyland...and, in later years they were featured in a full color 3D movie in that theater.
    Then, of course, there was the Mickey Mouse Club Circus...and the Mouseketeers would often make special appearances in the park.

The Mickey Mouse Club captured the hearts and souls of millions of us kids starting back in 1955. There is and can be absolutely no question about the importance of that program in the history of the Walt Disney Company.

I believe that something should be done to remember Annette, Jimmy Dodd, and all those who were in that wonderful thing that millions of us loved so much.

At the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank they recognize these pioneers in a square dedicated to the Disney Legends. I think what is being said here is that there should be something for the public to see, enjoy, and remember.

I would like to see something on the order of a permanent exhibit...something like Walt Disney One Man's Dream...an attraction to showcase this important part of Disney History.

What some folks simply do not understand these days is that our love for Jimmy Dodd, for Annette, and all the Mouseketeers was, is, and always will be real, deep, and true. That program became a part of us. And that was all because of a man behind the scenes named
    Walt Disney. We need to do something to remember...to celebrate those people, those years...that show. Forever let us hold our banner high!

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    I'm well aware of the cultural significance of the Mickey Mouse Club but none of that really speaks to the development of Disneyland. The park is not supposed to be a giant self-reference, much less one beholden to the Studio.

• Minion

ORDDU: Actually, the park IS beholden to the studio because, were it not for the studio, there would be no Disneyland. It was the movies made at the studio which inspired Walt to build a theme park where guests could participate in the movies he made. This fact is often forgotten, it would seem.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Actually, the park IS beholden to the studio because, were it not for the studio, there would be no Disneyland. It was the movies made at the studio which inspired Walt to build a theme park where guests could participate in the movies he made. This fact is often forgotten, it would seem.
    Because it is not supported by the evidence. Only a few of the original attractions were film based and that remained the case with WED moving, with fewer and fewer attractions based on films.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ...It was the movies made at the studio which inspired Walt to build a theme park where guests could participate in the movies he made.
    In fact it was a combination of Walt's love of trains, his creativity, his love of tinkering, his love of miniatures and mechanical gadgetry, his habit of trying new things and pushing the envelope, the inspiration he got from the train expo he visited with Ward Kimball, and his visit to Tivoli Gardens, that inspired him to move forward with Disneyland. "A theme park where guests can participate in movies" is Eisner's vision for Disneyland, not Walt's. Count the small number of attractions in Disneyland's first 30 years that were based on movies, vs. the large number that were Disneyland originals (including all the big E-ticket attractions), and it's clear how unimportant "guests participating in the movies he made" was to Walt Disney.

Only a few of the original attractions were film based and that remained the case with WED moving, with fewer and fewer attractions based on films.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-10-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
    Howdy Pards,

It is impossible for the young to understand the impact of the original Mickey Mouse Club....

What some folks simply do not understand these days is that our love for Jimmy Dodd, for Annette, and all the Mouseketeers was, is, and always will be real, deep, and true.

I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post

I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience
    Link doesn't seem to work.

Link doesn't seem to work.

Fixed it:

Reagan's Age-Old Wisdom - Top 10 Memorable Debate Moments - TIME

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast