Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What if Disneyland was destroyed?

Very sad topic, but worth discussing.

I thought of this the other day, and wondered: What would happen if Disneyland was destroyed?

(by some natural disaster, earthquake, fire, something of this nature)

or heaven forbid, if someone destroyed it on purpose.

Would it be rebuilt?
    How would it change American culture?
    What would the reaction be like?
    Big news story? (I hope it would be).

thanks for your input

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: What if Disneyland was destroyed?

Didn't you (or someone else) bring up this same topic a year or so ago? Even the wording of the op is practically the same.

Anyway I wouldn't be concerned with Disneyland. I'm 19 miles away. If something happened that would destroy Disneyland completely I would be more concerned about my own safety and the safety of my loved ones. Disneyland would be the last thing on my mind.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Big news story? Yes.

But if it was demolished to the point of, multiple large attractions destroyed, power lines, water, operational infrastructure, etc, destroyed to the ground, I don't know they'd ever attempt to rebuild it. Too much that was original lost, to recreate the whole infrastructure. If it did open afterwords with exact recreations even of large areas of the whole park (doubtful), I don't know that attendance would come back - it would be like a self-referential tribute to something that was entirely gone. Might well feel hollow and strange.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Didn't you (or someone else) bring up this same topic a year or so ago? Even the wording of the op is practically the same.
    Yup. Here's the thread.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

Anyway I wouldn't be concerned with Disneyland. I'm 19 miles away. If something happened that would destroy Disneyland completely I would be more concerned about my own safety and the safety of my loved ones. Disneyland would be the last thing on my mind.
    I don't believe that was me

...and besides, I wasn't asking about you specifically. This is a micechat thread, so I'm asking about how Disneyland being destroyed would impact everyone as a whole.

I know people would like to think that they wouldn't care and would only be concerned for themselves and their family, but the reality is many people all over the world would likely be heartbroken if Disneyland was destroyed.
    Last edited by greeeneyes17; 04-10-2013 at 12:53 PM.

I would be heartbroken. So many of my happiest memories there and for the loss of what Disneyland symbolizes. I think it would need to be rebuilt, some parts as an homage, others as let's admit, some parts of Disneyland can stand to be improved! And on the day the new park opens, is the day we know we have all healed from whatever tragedy befell us

• Familymemories

We would be bummed. It would be rebuilt I believe.
    Vintage Jewelry Converted Into Wearable Pieces Visit My Etsy Shop3 Kid Crop Shop

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm thinking insurance would cover its reconstruction at the same site.

• Rock Star Minion

Disney Company is big enough to rebuild it without an insurer. Not as if it has a mortgage.

I doubt that it's insured for such a thing at all.
    You know why? Because shareholders would lose value. Not some one person like Walt Disney (he might have had it insured), for which this would be a major financial catastrophe.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Team Hail HYDRA

I'd start crying

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

• One Little Spark...

Do you think they would find another location with a lot more land and go the WDW route?

• Sultan of Swing

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsofColor View Post
    Do you think they would find another location with a lot more land and go the WDW route?
    That's what I was thinking. I already have a location in mind where I would want it built.
    Always read the fine print.

• Roller coaster enthusiast

Historically it would be a big loss as Disneyland was one of, if not the first, theme park design with one entrance and a pay one price ticket entry. Plus DL is home to the Matterhorn, the worlds first steel roller coaster. Just look at how the invention of the tubular steel track has influenced the industry. I think they'd rebuild in the same spot unless they're physically unable to do so such as a small meteor crater.

• "I don't like the color"

What's with the doomsday posts recently? Something I don't know about??
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by greeeneyes17 View Post
    I don't believe that was me

...and besides, I wasn't asking about you specifically. This is a micechat thread, so I'm asking about how Disneyland being destroyed would impact everyone as a whole.

I know people would like to think that they wouldn't care and would only be concerned for themselves and their family, but the reality is many people all over the world would likely be heartbroken if Disneyland was destroyed.
    It wasn't you. Wiggins cleared that one up. Even so I did acknowledge it could have been someone esle.

If Disneyland suddenly closed its doors and was sold for a condominium tract and strip malls I would be sad like all the other posters are saying here. I would definitely miss the place where all my memories were made and sad with the fact that they could never duplicate it no matter how hard they tried.

But to ask what would happen if the DLR was destroyed by a natual disaster strikes me as a bit odd, I'm sorry. The answer should be obvious. The "Big One" is estimated to result in the loss of approximately 3,000 lives in So Cal. And even an earthquake of this size will not fully destroy Disneyland. Sure many buildings will be damaged, some probably beyond repair, but they will be able to rebuild it for sure. DCA will probably be ok actually since everything there is built to code. So if there is an earthquake big enough to destroy all of the DLR we are talking about a loss of lives of epic proportions. And to me this is a much bigger concern than losing Disneyland. Sorry if you disagree, but that's how I see it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast