Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Re: How long is it Before they change DCA's name to Disney Pixar Adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    But there are many examples of attractions that are bad or really pushing the limit in terms of the theme of their land and many of them are Pixar based. That is why people continue to make these kind comments and posts no doubt. It amazes me that people don't understand why people make these kind of comments. But I guess it does point to what many people expect of Disney these days.
    Haha I guess that makes sense. To be honest, I didn't know THAT was the reason (if it is the reason) why people dislike Pixar in the Parks. I just thought it was actual dislike towards Pixar. It just seems like a misunderstanding from both parties. But as I said before though, their frustration should be directed towards Disney and not at Pixar.

• Minion

The name won't change again.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    The name won't change again.
    # "Disney MGM Studios" Now "Disney Hollywood Studios"

# "Disney California Adventure" year 2015 "Disney Pixar Adventure"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    # "Disney MGM Studios" Now "Disney Hollywood Studios"

# "Disney California Adventure" year 2015 "Disney Pixar Adventure"
    No.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Haha I guess that makes sense. To be honest, I didn't know THAT was the reason (if it is the reason) why people dislike Pixar in the Parks. I just thought it was actual dislike towards Pixar. It just seems like a misunderstanding from both parties. But as I said before though, their frustration should be directed towards Disney and not at Pixar.
    To be fair, it's done with properties released under the classic Disney label as well in terms of generally mediocre attractions (Little Mermaid dark ride not very enthralling, Pooh ride which isn't popular) as much as Pixar themed rides (Finding Nemo subs which is like watching the DVD highlights, Bugs Land, Monsters Inc. dark ride which isn't terribly interesting). So, yes, you've got a point that such should be applied overall to Disney animated features recently being adapted for the park having a spotty track record.

They can adapt films brilliantly for the parks as well: Indiana Jones Adventure, Star Tours 2.0, Splash Mountain all come to mind.

• film975

Not every Disney animated film lends itself well to a theme park attraction. Which maybe the very reason why not all of them are represented in their parks. But I don't get all this negativity towards PIXAR either. The computer animation studio has been part of the Disney company for a good long time now. And many of its founding members were trained by the Nine Old Men.

If you think about it, the only animated films that come from Disney nowadays are Pixar films.
    This is not true, but in any case, it wouldn't matter because not all of the movies coming out of Walt Disney Animation Studios have a place in the parks, either.

What were the last Disney animated films that came out. Wreck-it-Ralph, probably? Tangled? Princess and the Frog?
    I'd hardly consider these movies (and others like Bolt, for example) worthy of dismissal, as you seem to be implying (far from it--in my opinion these are genuinely great movies). I'd much sooner dismiss the Cars movies, Brave, and Finding Nemo, for example, in terms of overall quality (Carsland is extremely well-executed and has restored much of the faith that I had lost in WDI, but in my opinion the movies it is based on are mediocre at best, not that it matters much in this case). However, it doesn't mean that they should be shoehorned where they don't belong, either.

So, what do people suggest Disney should do? I mean, yeah I guess they can create attractions not based on movies. But really when it comes down to it, the general public usually reacts positively to attractions based off of movies or franchises that they are already familiar with, and that's probably where the big bucks will come from.
    They should do what's right, not just what will sell to the public in the short-term--Disney theme parks are art, not just commerce. In the long-term, this helps commercial prospects anyway, as Walt Disney proved.

And Pixar makes quality, well-known movies that people love and will pay money for. In my opinion, it only makes sense to make Pixar attractions really. It's the only animated films that consistently comes out from Disney.
    They don't seem all that consistent to me, of late. In any case, I think that we (myself included) need to stop speaking in generalities and look at each case individually. Does a movie in question have the right characteristics to fit a certain theme and purpose, whatever its branding or whichever studio it hails from?

• Senior Minion

...To be honest, I didn't know THAT was the reason (if it is the reason) why people dislike Pixar in the Parks. I just thought it was actual dislike towards Pixar.
    The dislike is in no way directed at the excellent artists and management of Pixar Studios or their films. It's toward a Disney corporate management that has no vision other than for marketing, that nickel and dimes the budgets even while racking up record profits, and that forces the imagineers (those they haven't driven out the door) to slavishly copy movie brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    They should do what's right, not just what will sell to the public in the short-term--Disney theme parks are art, not just commerce. In the long-term, this helps commercial prospects anyway, as Walt Disney proved.
    Exactly. Walt and the team that built Disneyland were in it for the long term. In contrast, the revolving-door cadre of short haul corporate bureaucrats who make the "creative" decisions for today's Disneyland aren't looking past next year's profit sheet, and their own promotions and bonuses.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-12-2013 at 08:46 AM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly. Walt and the team that built Disneyland were in it for the long term. In contrast, the revolving-door cadre of short haul corporate bureaucrats who make the "creative" decisions for today's Disneyland aren't looking past next year's profit sheet, and their own promotions and bonuses.
    I agree with you here but hasn't Carsland and BVS changed your mind a little? These two additions will draw crowds for years to come. If they prodice that level again in Theme and content with Tron and Monsters INC they will be huge hits for years to come as well.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'm always a little hesitant when I'm promised:
    they will be huge hits for years to come

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I agree with you here but hasn't Carsland and BVS changed your mind a little? These two additions will draw crowds for years to come. If they prodice that level again in Theme and content with Tron and Monsters INC they will be huge hits for years to come as well.
    He hasn't been to the new DCA yet.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    I agree with you here but hasn't Carsland and BVS changed your mind a little?
    My dismay for the present and future of Disneyland is the marketing-first mindthink that dominates Disney's decision chain -- a corporate groupthink that dismisses as too risky the very originality and innovation that built the company, and dismisses as "not team players" the talent that could make it happen today. In my view Carsland, while physically well executed, is conceptually neither original nor innovative; its admitted visual bravura (which some would say is much-about-little) is the result of Cars merchandise sales and John protecting his pet project, not of an enlightenment of Disney's beancounter-driven management. From its creatively bankruptcy in Orlando to its revolving-door management in Anaheim, there is, quite literally, nothing that gives me confidence that future DLR attractions will be anything more than meh.

- Neil Gabler

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    My dismay for the present and future of Disneyland is the marketing-first mindthink that dominates Disney's decision chain -- a corporate groupthink that dismisses as too risky the very originality and innovation that built the company, and dismisses as "not team players" the talent that could make it happen today. In my view Carsland, while physically well executed, is conceptually neither original nor innovative; its admitted visual bravura (which some would say is much-about-little) is the result of Cars merchandise sales and John protecting his pet project, not of an enlightenment of Disney's beancounter-driven management. From its creatively bankruptcy in Orlando to its revolving-door management in Anaheim, there is, quite literally, nothing that gives me confidence that future DLR attractions will be anything more than meh.

While this is technically correct, it is also statues quo for all major, publically traded corporations in the world.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    While this is technically correct, it is also statues quo for all major, publically traded corporations in the world.
    All major, publicly traded corporations in the world were not founded by Walt Disney. All major, publicly traded corporations in the world do not have a heritage of being a world-famous leader in theme park originality and innovation. In my view, defending what Disney does because "everybody does it" is the poorest excuse of all for the creative laziness and risk-aversion that has become the hallmark of Disney's Parks division.

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post

And as for the whole California is a dumb theme and should be abandoned, I don't believe so. Adventureland isn't a true representation of a tropical port, it is a fantastic version based on folklore, film, and imagination. The same should be done for California; it should be treated as a mythical place of legends and folklore.
    To be clear, "California" as a theme was selected by Eisner and Co. because they wanted to keep folks on property and give them what else they might want to see in California besides Disneyland:

1. Tacky Strip Mall selling glasses . . . Sunshine Plaza
    2. Pier Side Amusement Park . . . Paradise Pier
    3. Hollywoodland, hey no need to see the real Hollywood!
    4. Golden Gate bridge: You don't need to see the real thing, see the Disney version.
    5. Redwoods . . . Redwood Creek Challenge
    6. Wineries
    7. Knott's style river run . . . Grizzly River Run
    8. Fast themeless coaster . . . California Screamin'

So, it isn't that Disney wanted to "celebrate" and explore the "mythical place of legends and folklore" of California, as you put, but to build a tourist trap to keep folks on property. When DCA opened there were no Disney characters, it was supposed to compete with everything else that California was and replace it.

Sounds crazy to me, and no wonder it didn't work.

I'm also think that California doesn't work as the theme for a whole theme park. Look at Epcot, they've got pavilions for different countries, designing even half a theme park to just California or Florida is kinda boring. I also don't think California has any special mythology that would draw people into a theme park, and I've never been a fan of the "Studios" idea for theme parks.

BVS looks nice, but I'm not wowed by the references to early L.A. in the 1920's. I think a better idea would have been a London street similar to the one in Mary Poppins, and with references to Disney films, rather than this whole idealized idea of Walt coming to L.A..

I am always surprised that a lot of people have bought into the idea that DCA 1.0 somehow celebrated California, when it was just a theme used to lure out-of-state tourists to spend an extra day on the property and not hit Knotts or drive to Los Angeles/Hollywood.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast