Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: How long is it Before they change DCA's name to Disney Pixar Adventure!

Pixar does have a bigger presence in DCA, but there is a good balance in DCA of brand and non-brand attractions/lands. BVS is a non-brand masterpiece, and Carsland is a brand masterpiece. PP and HPB have a great mixture of brand and non-brand attractions, offering something for every age. Goldenstate/Condor Flats is devoid of brands and a Bugs Land is perfectly suited for really young children. I donít really see how DCA is sooo unbalanced. *shrug*

• Banned User

I thought this was better as a seperate responce:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    All major, publicly traded corporations in the world were not founded by Walt Disney. All major, publicly traded corporations in the world do not have a heritage of being a world-famous leader in theme park originality and innovation. In my view, defending what Disney does because "everybody does it" is the poorest excuse of all for the creative laziness and risk-aversion that has become the hallmark of Disney's Parks division.
    Disney it still very much the leader in entertainment, especially theme parks unless i've been reading the profit/attendance levels wrong. The mouse still follows many of the principles and ideas set down by the man himself, but since his passing has taken on a much more corporate identity, and unfortunately there isnít any other option. Walt is gone and he did not leave a successor in his place.

Disney is now a massive company that is concerned with profits above all else (itís their job to ensure that they are doing their best to protect investors and shareholders). Creativity and originality has now fallen to those who lead these individual projects, within the limits set by the company, a company thatís no longer run by a single man. Itís the nature of how companies work and no amount of nostalgia or wishing will take us back to a time when the Mouse House was steered by Walt.

When Walt started things and even when he was established, he did not have access to the resources and brands that the company does now which is why he continued to create brands, which he in turned introduced them into Disneyland. In 1960 the Swiss Family Treehouse was built and added to the park, not to a negative response to ďbrandsĒ but rather a fan base that still is upset over the loss of that awesome attraction. The Treehouse was merely a recreation of a movie set, but guests and fans still have fond memories of it. Walt was not creatively stumped when he brought films into the parks and neither is todayís WDI. I would argue more that due to Disneyís vast and ever growing collection of intellectual properties and a business need to ensure that they make money, WDI has focused on using what they have to make additions to their theme parks resulting in record breaking attendance and profits.

Luckily we have seen some quality non-brand attractions more recently like Everest, Sorin, Grizzle River Rapids as well as quality brand attractions like Radiator Springs Racers, Tower of Terror, Star Tours 2.0...

To me it comes down to quality. Right now Disney is one company. Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilms, Pixar are all owned and operated from a single source. Four names, brands that represent the best of the best in the fields of entertainment and as long as what Disney produces IS quality, iíll be willing paying to experience/watch/read/play it. The culture of the company is of little relevance to most of us as long as the product is quality which is what weíve been seeing lately.

• Banned User

My dismay for the present and future of Disneyland is the marketing-first mindthink that dominates Disney's decision chain -- a corporate groupthink that dismisses as too risky the very originality and innovation that built the company, and dismisses as "not team players" the talent that could make it happen today. In my view Carsland, while physically well executed, is conceptually neither original nor innovative; its admitted visual bravura (which some would say is much-about-little) is the result of Cars merchandise sales and John protecting his pet project, not of an enlightenment of Disney's beancounter-driven management. From its creatively bankruptcy in Orlando to its revolving-door management in Anaheim, there is, quite literally, nothing that gives me confidence that future DLR attractions will be anything more than meh.
    Who are these "not team players" folks with the talent who have been let go?

Movies have always been a part of Disneyland, so I don't think it is fair to single out the current management for being overly commercial. DCA 1.0 didn't have very many "franchises", and no Disney characters, and look how well it did! If they put in some characters or stories into Grizzly River Run, then I might want to ride it again, but I haven't ridden that thing in many years, simply because there isn't anything to see.

For some of us, part of the fun of Disneyland is celebrating Disney characters and stories through attractions and entertainment. Carsland is a home run, no two ways about it, when it comes to guest satisfaction.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton View Post
    Pixar does have a bigger presence in DCA, but there is a good balance in DCA of brand and non-brand attractions/lands. BVS is a non-brand masterpiece, and Carsland is a brand masterpiece. PP and HPB have a great mixture of brand and non-brand attractions, offering something for every age. Goldenstate/Condor Flats is devoid of brands and a Bugs Land is perfectly suited for really young children. I don’t really see how DCA is sooo unbalanced. *shrug*
    BVS looks nice, and the Christmas decorations were a nice touch, but it doesn't have any attractions save for the ultra-low capacity red car trolley. Main Street has a lot more to look at. I would also say that the acoustics in the Pig Cafe are horrible, and there aren't many decorations as the dining area feels like a big box, a food court.

While people complain about "brands", plain off-the-shelf rides are pretty boring, IMHO, like the ferris wheel and the other generic rides in Paradise Pier.

• Banned User

Disney it still very much the leader in entertainment, especially theme parks unless i've been reading the profit/attendance levels wrong.
    WDW attendance has declined the past year, and Universal's Islands of Adventure in Orlando is up, double digits, due to Potterland, when the new Gringott's mine train opens in Universal Studios Florida . . . WDW's problems will only get worse.

The mouse still follows many of the principles and ideas set down by the man himself, but since his passing has taken on a much more corporate identity, and unfortunately there isn’t any other option. Walt is gone and he did not leave a successor in his place.
    Roy Disney was the successor, he worked hard to get WDW off the ground.

Disney is now a massive company that is concerned with profits above all else (it’s their job to ensure that they are doing their best to protect investors and shareholders). Creativity and originality has now fallen to those who lead these individual projects, within the limits set by the company, a company that’s no longer run by a single man.
    Disney has always had to answer to the shareholders and Walt's battle with his own company are legendary, but while Disney, like all corporations keeps an eye on the bottom-line, they also want to protect their "brand" by making sure they do quality work. Hence the $1.1 billion dollar redo of DCA due to guest dissatisfaction. It would be simplistic to say that the weasels are running Toad Hall into the ground.

To me it comes down to quality. Right now Disney is one company. Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilms, Pixar are all owned and operated from a single source. Four names, brands that represent the best of the best in the fields of entertainment and as long as what Disney produces IS quality, i’ll be willing paying to experience/watch/read/play it. The culture of the company is of little relevance to most of us as long as the product is quality which is what we’ve been seeing lately.
    I would agree that Disney has a lot of interesting intellectual property, and that they are moving in the right direction in terms of quality work, though I think Avatarland is a big mistake.

Well you know, Pixar is located in Emeryville, California...

Quote Originally Posted by wicked82 View Post
    I honestly don't get it... what is with people's animosity towards Pixar? I'm seriously sick of having to read these comments in EVERY POST that makes any reference to anything Pixar. OP: Please explain.
    I am with you on this I love Pixar.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    This is not true, but in any case, it wouldn't matter because not all of the movies coming out of Walt Disney Animation Studios have a place in the parks, either.
    Sorry, I meant to say most animated movies. Disney seems like it's producing more live action films than animated films.

I'd hardly consider these movies (and others like Bolt, for example) worthy of dismissal, as you seem to be implying (far from it--in my opinion these are genuinely great movies). I'd much sooner dismiss the Cars movies, Brave, and Finding Nemo, for example, in terms of overall quality (Carsland is extremely well-executed and has restored much of the faith that I had lost in WDI, but in my opinion the movies it is based on are mediocre at best, not that it matters much in this case). However, it doesn't mean that they should be shoehorned where they don't belong, either.
    Nono, I wasn't implying that at all! I was merely trying to support my statement about how Disney doesn't seem to make as much animated films as they used to. Wreck-it-Ralph, Tangled, Princess and the Frog were all great movies!

They should do what's right, not just what will sell to the public in the short-term--Disney theme parks are art, not just commerce. In the long-term, this helps commercial prospects anyway, as Walt Disney proved.
    All major, publicly traded corporations in the world were not founded by Walt Disney. All major, publicly traded corporations in the world do not have a heritage of being a world-famous leader in theme park originality and innovation. In my view, defending what Disney does because "everybody does it" is the poorest excuse of all for the creative laziness and risk-aversion that has become the hallmark of Disney's Parks division.
    No, I agree! Obviously we would love for Disney to do what's right, but doing what's right doesn't always net the biggest profit. The sad reality of it all is that Disney is #1 a business, and all businesses aim to make profits. Disney just isn't what it used to be anymore :T

They don't seem all that consistent to me, of late. In any case, I think that we (myself included) need to stop speaking in generalities and look at each case individually. Does a movie in question have the right characteristics to fit a certain theme and purpose, whatever its branding or whichever studio it hails from?
    They do have a great track record though. But I do agree, some of the newer movies from Pixar were good, but not THAT good. It's always hard to top your last great hit. You win some, you lose some.

• Quintessential Studmuffin

in So Cal but my mind is in disneyland!!!

I'm sure the OP is being hyperbolic . Yeah, it really seems like Pixar is dominating the whole park. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Pixar (most of their movies are great!) and I don't mind them having presence in the parks. All I'm asking is for balance (some more original attractions/concepts wouldn't hurt) and at least a little r-e-s-p-e-c-t (just a little a bit) for the CA theme. Despite my gripes with DCA 2.0, it's better now (minus the massacre of the BVS windows displays) than it had ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Sorry, I meant to say most animated movies. Disney seems like it's producing more live action films than animated films.
    Disney have been producing more feature-length live-action movies than animated ones since Walt's time.

Nono, I wasn't implying that at all! I was merely trying to support my statement about how Disney doesn't seem to make as much animated films as they used to. Wreck-it-Ralph, Tangled, Princess and the Frog were all great movies!
    I'm sorry for misinterpreting what you said, then. However, they seem to be releasing animated movies now at the same rate as they have been since the 1980s, which is a little over one per year on the average. For comparison, over the past 17 years they've produced 20 animated movies, while Pixar have produced 13 over the same time span. If we start counting from 2007, then the two studios have both released six movies each. The perception that Pixar have released more movies is highly indicative of the attention that they receive and the success that they've achieved at the box office, but in my opinion it is all out of proportion where actual quality is concerned (not that their movies aren't generally very good and sometimes great, but so are Disney's of late). Such a state of affairs is typically fleeting in the long run.

They do have a great track record though.
    Pixar certainly do, deservedly so in my opinion, and they're still "hot" in people's minds, but as WDAS (known as Walt Disney Feature Animation back then) found out a decade ago, public perception can change pretty rapidly. Some people are even starting to talk about Pixar's "decline" lately, comparing their last couple of movies unfavorably with some of the recent releases from "lowly" (that's the word one person in a non-Disney, non-animation forum used) Disney. If Disney--which had been the standard-bearer for quality animated features for about six decades--could be considered "lowly" today, then so could Pixar someday, regardless of their previous track record. Actual quality is separate matter, and can vary between releases anyway, so for my part I try not to get too caught up with things like short-term public perception.

Unfortunately, the current Disney company will try their hardest to use whatever brand has the "hot hand" in terms of public perception, regardless of whether it would really be the best choice in all cases. Not that I blame them for wanting to, but there are other long-term considerations regarding the overall quality and artistry of the theme park experience.

But I do agree, some of the newer movies from Pixar were good, but not THAT good. It's always hard to top your last great hit. You win some, you lose some.
    Right, sometimes it just works out better than at other times, depending on the combination of a huge number of factors, including timing. Even the right talent and the right environment aren't always enough, although they sure help one's odds.
    Last edited by Robert Cook; 04-16-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Attraction
    Basis
    Theme California Numbers Disney Numbers Pixar
    Numbers
    Disney Numbers Including Split and California Themed Attractions Pixar Numbers Including Split and California Themed Attractions
    Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular
    Hyperion Theater
    California 1 1
    Disney Junior: Live on Stage
    ABC Studios
    California 2 2
    Muppet*Vision 3D
    Muppet Studios?
    Californi-ish 3
    Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
    Monster's Inc
    Pixar 1 1
    Red Car Trolley
    LA Red Cars
    California 4
    The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
    Twilight Zone
    California ish
    Mad T Party
    Alice in Wonderland
    Disney 1 3
    Animation Building
    Hard to say, a lot of the building is themed to Hollywood, but the entry is completely not
    California ish
    Disney Animation Room
    Main Room Disney / Pixar
    Split 4 2
    Animation Academy
    Disney (Drawing)/ Pixar (Zoetrope)
    Split 5 3
    Sorcerer's Workshop
    Disney Properties
    Disney 2 6
    Turtle Talk with Crush
    Finding Nemo
    Pixar 2 5
    Flik's Flyers
    Bug's Life
    Pixar 3 6
    Francis' Ladybug Boogie
    Bug's Life
    Pixar 4 7
    Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
    Bug's Life
    Pixar 5 8
    It's Tough to be a Bug!
    Bug's Life
    Pixar 6 9
    Princess Dot Puddle Park
    Bug's Life
    Pixar 7 10
    Tuck and Roll's Drive'Em Buggies
    Bug's Life
    Pixar 8 11
    Luigi's Flying Tires
    Cars
    Pixar 9 12
    Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
    Cars
    Pixar 10 13
    Radiator Springs Racers
    Cars
    Pixar 11 14
    Soarin' Over California
    Original
    California 7
    Grizzly River Run
    Original
    California 8
    Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
    Original, Taken over by Up but still externally themed to California
    California ish 9 15
    Walt Disney Imagineering Blue Sky Cellar
    Attraction about Upcoming Attractions, Externally themed to fit the Wine Country setting
    California ish
    10 7
    The Bakery Tour
    Original
    California 11
    Ghirardelli Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop
    Original
    California 12
    California Screamin'
    Original
    California ish
    Golden Zephyr
    Original
    California ish
    Goofy's Sky School
    Original, Taken over by Goofy
    Disney 3 8
    Jumpin' Jellyfish
    Original, not technically themed to Little Mermaid
    California ish
    King Triton's Carousel of the Sea
    Original, Taken over by Little Mermaid
    Disney 4 9
    The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure
    Little Mermaid Disney 5 10
    Mickey's Fun Wheel
    Original, Taken over by Mickey
    Disney 6 11
    Silly Symphony Swings
    Original, Taken over by Mickey
    Disney 7 12
    Toy Story Midway Mania!
    Toy Story Pixar 12 16
    World of Color
    Disney / Pixar
    Split 13 17

Totals Attractions: 36
    California Themed: 15
    Non California Themed: 18
    Disney Themed: 7
    Pixar Themed: 12
    Total Disney Attractions: 13
    Total Pixar Attractions: 17

We have only visited DLR once - but we loved DCA - sure it is very different from DL, and does not have the same magic as one gets inside the original park - but we still had a great time and enjoyed it very much for what it is - an alternative. We are excited to return next month to see Carsland and the new entrance - my DD wants to see what California was like when Walt was young - as she has read his biography several times and of course both my kids LOVE most Pixar movies - so I guess what is great to some is not so great to others.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Wow, you really did your homework.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

I'm sorry for misinterpreting what you said, then. However, they seem to be releasing animated movies now at the same rate as they have been since the 1980s, which is a little over one per year on the average. For comparison, over the past 17 years they've produced 20 animated movies, while Pixar have produced 13 over the same time span. If we start counting from 2007, then the two studios have both released six movies each. The perception that Pixar have released more movies is highly indicative of the attention that they receive and the success that they've achieved at the box office, but in my opinion it is all out of proportion where actual quality is concerned (not that their movies aren't generally very good and sometimes great, but so are Disney's of late). Such a state of affairs is typically fleeting in the long run.
    Haha, that's quite alright! That's really interesting how they both released the same amount of animated movies starting from 2007. It always felt like Pixar released a movie every year while Disney released a movie every 1.5 years. But I guess that's not the case. Huh.

Unfortunately, the current Disney company will try their hardest to use whatever brand has the "hot hand" in terms of public perception, regardless of whether it would really be the best choice in all cases. Not that I blame them for wanting to, but there are other long-term considerations regarding the overall quality and artistry of the theme park experience.
    Yeah I agree. Sadly the most popular brands will equate the most profits. When money is involved, all perception of what's good for the Parks will always go out the window in favor for more cash

Quote Originally Posted by lightofdarkness View Post
    Totals Attractions: 36
    California Themed: 15
    Non California Themed: 18
    Disney Themed: 7
    Pixar Themed: 12
    Total Disney Attractions: 13
    Total Pixar Attractions: 17
    Haha, that's quite a chart! Thanks for that! But if you add the total Disney and Pixar attractions, how come it only adds up to 30 if there's a total of 36 attractions?

• The one, the only...

I see nothing wrong with Pixar being in DCA. It is a new park compared to Disneyland and so most of the recent most popular movies done by Disney/Pixar have been Pixar. If there are some who are concerned that there are too many Pixar attractions should suggest what Disney attractions should be added. So many of the great Disney films already have attractions at Disneyland. My biggest issue with DCA is that the California theme has been so diluted. But that is another issue.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast