Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Unhelpful User

Angry How long is it Before they change DCA's name to Disney Pixar Adventure!

You know it's gonna happen but when, the theme of DCA is Pixar whether we like it or not phase 2 should be interesting, after all they did report the name change, and if Monstropolis comes to fruition it will probaly be then! I love the name DCA do You?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: How long is it Before they change DCA's name to Disney Pixar Adventure!

They won't. If they had ever considered a name change it was when they dropped the " Apostraphe S".

No, it's not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    You know it's gonna happen but when, the theme of DCA is Pixar whether we like it or not phase 2 should be interesting, after all they did report the name change, and if Monstropolis comes to fruition it will probaly be then! I love the name DCA do You?
    I honestly don't get it... what is with people's animosity towards Pixar? I'm seriously sick of having to read these comments in EVERY POST that makes any reference to anything Pixar. OP: Please explain.
    "Maybe the definition of home is the place where you are never forgiven, so you may always belong there, bound my guilt. And maybe the cost of belonging is worth it."

• Parking Lot > DCA

Never. The name will never not be Disney California Adventure. Judging by your username, you should know they already went through a name change during the 2.0 update phase. Thus, it won't happen again. Sure there are Pixar themed attractions - because Disney owns Pixar. Just like they own Lucasfilm. Just like they own Marvel.

There are plenty of other attractions (Non Pixar-movie themed, and original) in DCA still. Naming it "Pixarland" or anything of the sort would be silly because it's not a park entirely dedicated to just Pixar.

•   
    • Minion

I will go with never as well. As stated a couple times already the park isn't only pixar currently and I don't see it only being pixar ever.

I'm not sure I understand the beef with a Pixar presence in DCA. I mean...the original park is called DISNEYland as well, right? It was built by an animation studio. Why the surprise now that they want their other studio to have a large presence?

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    No, it's not gonna happen.
    Have to agree....never gonna happen.
    For the love of Disney....

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the beef with a Pixar presence in DCA. I mean...the original park is called DISNEYland as well, right? It was built by an animation studio. Why the surprise now that they want their other studio to have a large presence?
    The general topic has come up on a number of occasions, and more than a few people here feel that there is a fundamental clash between Disney- and Pixar-branded properties, especially when they are translated into physical attractions in Disney theme parks. It is difficult to characterize, yet plainly obvious and objectionable to those who perceive it. This usually doesn't involve actual dislike for Pixar or their movies, but rather the notion that Pixar-based attractions seem to belong with one another rather than alongside Disney-based attractions in the same parks.

I don't know how much this has to do with this particular thread, however.

not this again, it will never happen. Besides what does TOT, Mermaid, Soarin, almost every attraction on the boardwalk have to do with Pixar. Monsters inc is already in Hollywood land changing the small section to look like Monstropolis does not change much.

especially since it looks like this

Monstropolis - Bing Images

and this

Monstropolis - Bing Images

I actually would rather see facades that look like the above pictures instead of the ugly reused super star facade they have now

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by wicked82 View Post
    I honestly don't get it... what is with people's animosity towards Pixar? I'm seriously sick of having to read these comments in EVERY POST that makes any reference to anything Pixar. OP: Please explain.
    I don't get it either. Pixar IS part of Disney now. If you think about it, the only animated films that come from Disney nowadays are Pixar films. What were the last Disney animated films that came out. Wreck-it-Ralph, probably? Tangled? Princess and the Frog? Disney seems to be making a lot of live-action films like Oz and Avengers and those films are being planned to make a presence in the parks although there are some opposition to those as well. So, what do people suggest Disney should do? I mean, yeah I guess they can create attractions not based on movies. But really when it comes down to it, the general public usually reacts positively to attractions based off of movies or franchises that they are already familiar with, and that's probably where the big bucks will come from. And Pixar makes quality, well-known movies that people love and will pay money for. In my opinion, it only makes sense to make Pixar attractions really. It's the only animated films that consistently comes out from Disney.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    not this again, it will never happen. Besides what does TOT, Mermaid, Soarin, almost every attraction on the boardwalk have to do with Pixar. Monsters inc is already in Hollywood land changing the small section to look like Monstropolis does not change much.

And the biggest improvement will be the facelift on the current dark ride!

The original poster is using hyperbole to vent frustration, a frustration I share. Midway Mania...it kind of works with the land if excuse no transition from human to toy size. A Bug's Land, lacking in terms of decent attractions, but the movie is well done and it can still be loosely tied to the theme of the overall park. But the big fuss came with Carsland. It would be one thing if the land was themed to car culture or Rte 66 and featured an attraction based on the film Cars, instead the entire land was pigeon holed to exist solely in the film's universe. Not to mention the film takes place outside of California and thereby kind of doesn't work with the overall theme of the park. That being said, I think they did a great job with the land (although I wish there was a fun C-D ticket) and the look doesn't clash with the California theme, only the small details of the actual film do.

But the land did upset many who feel that one of DCA's biggest issues is lack of identity. Monsters Inc has been a thorn in their side for years as the attraction has nothing to do with LA except the fact it is based on a film and films are made in LA. Adding an entire Monsters Inc subland to Hollywood seems like a slap in the face to the identity of the park.

Now, to be fair, this isn't a Pixar vs Disney issue, while I do believe Pixar's properties don't convert to attractions as easily due to their subtler tone, it's an issue of plopping down popular franchises where they don't belong. We saw this in TL with Nemo having nothing to do with the world of the future, we see it with The Little Mermaid having next to nothing to do with California (nor any real attempt to make it seem so). Many like myself are tired of seeing attractions forced into real estate for the sole reason being synergy. I get Disney is a business and an existing demographic of fans is a lot less frightening than trying to create a new fanbase on an original attraction, but can we at least pick properties that fit within the park/land we are placing them in?

And as for the whole California is a dumb theme and should be abandoned, I don't believe so. Adventureland isn't a true representation of a tropical port, it is a fantastic version based on folklore, film, and imagination. The same should be done for California; it should be treated as a mythical place of legends and folklore. The park should embody the spirit of the land, not just the state itself. And if you still think it's a dumb theme, that's okay but Disney should then abandon it and rename the park as the original poster suggested in frustration.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Now, to be fair, this isn't a Pixar vs Disney issue, while I do believe Pixar's properties don't convert to attractions as easily due to their subtler tone, it's an issue of plopping down popular franchises where they don't belong. We saw this in TL with Nemo having nothing to do with the world of the future, we see it with The Little Mermaid having next to nothing to do with California (nor any real attempt to make it seem so). Many like myself are tired of seeing attractions forced into real estate for the sole reason being synergy. I get Disney is a business and an existing demographic of fans is a lot less frightening than trying to create a new fanbase on an original attraction, but can we at least pick properties that fit within the park/land we are placing them in?
    Hmm, okay I can agree with this. Yes, I do agree that plopping attractions where they don't fit thematically is a problem. If this is what people are having a problem with, then the problem isn't about Pixar and its physical presence in the park; it's about Disney not following through with their themes. If that's the case, then people should direct their frustration towards Disney and not at Pixar. I just think the 'hate' towards Pixar is unwarranted. If this is not the reason why people do not like Pixar 'taking over DCA,' then I still don't understand.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    The original poster is using hyperbole to vent frustration, a frustration I share. Midway Mania...it kind of works with the land if excuse no transition from human to toy size. A Bug's Land, lacking in terms of decent attractions, but the movie is well done and it can still be loosely tied to the theme of the overall park. But the big fuss came with Carsland. It would be one thing if the land was themed to car culture or Rte 66 and featured an attraction based on the film Cars, instead the entire land was pigeon holed to exist solely in the film's universe. Not to mention the film takes place outside of California and thereby kind of doesn't work with the overall theme of the park. That being said, I think they did a great job with the land (although I wish there was a fun C-D ticket) and the look doesn't clash with the California theme, only the small details of the actual film do.

But the land did upset many who feel that one of DCA's biggest issues is lack of identity. Monsters Inc has been a thorn in their side for years as the attraction has nothing to do with LA except the fact it is based on a film and films are made in LA. Adding an entire Monsters Inc subland to Hollywood seems like a slap in the face to the identity of the park.

And as for the whole California is a dumb theme and should be abandoned, I don't believe so. Adventureland isn't a true representation of a tropical port, it is a fantastic version based on folklore, film, and imagination. The same should be done for California; it should be treated as a mythical place of legends and folklore. The park should embody the spirit of the land, not just the state itself. And if you still think it's a dumb theme, that's okay but Disney should then abandon it and rename the park as the original poster suggested in frustration.
    I mostly agree with you, but I don't think that Little Mermaid and Cars Land were a terrible stretch for the California theme if you're taking your more mythical kind of take on California. I think its important for lands to fit the theme of the park and for rides to fit the theme of the land. Rides do not all have to reinforce the overall theme of the park, but it's important to have just enough of them that do to support the overall theme.

I think the car culture, roadside kitsch architecture and Route 66 feel inherent in 'Cars' and the design of Radiator Springs just expressed so much connection to California culture already without needing to be changed. It made a theme park land naturally, there are a few unique films have locations that are like that but they are rare. Obviously people still disagree, but I

With TLM, I feel it fits fine as it fits the theme of its land, as I said before, it doesn't have to support the California theme, not every ride does if it supports the theme of its land. A dark ride about mermaids perfectly fits the theme of Paradise Pier. If they want to use their mermaid in the ride, that's perfectly reasonable. It's the same reason Indy fits in Adventure Land so well; A jeep ride through an ancient temple would be a good fit with or without the tie-in to Indy.

But there are many examples of attractions that are bad or really pushing the limit in terms of the theme of their land and many of them are Pixar based. That is why people continue to make these kind comments and posts no doubt. It amazes me that people don't understand why people make these kind of comments. But I guess it does point to what many people expect of Disney these days.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast