DVD/Books on Disneyland?

Hey guys! So my birthday is coming up (On the 13th of this month!) and I'm thinking about spending part of my Birthday Money on Disneyland (Specifically on Disneyland) DVD(s)/Book(s). I currently live in Seattle. But I was born and raised in the lower parts of California. I grew up loving Disneyland and I will always hold the the many magical memories I had there very close to my heart. I miss that place so much. I'm looking for DVDs and Books that would take me back, and help me kind of relive those memories. I also want to know more about Disneyland and its history. I'm not much of a person who studies stuff lol but I think I found some good ones that sound good. Let me know if they are:

-The Secret Tour of Disneyland

-Walt Disney Treasures - Disneyland - Secrets, Stories & Magic

-The Disneyland Encyclopedia: The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop, and Major Event in the Original Magic Kingdom

I've heard that Disneyland: The Nickel Tour (Too expensive for me to spend right now...why is this book so expensive?) and Disneyland: Inside Story are good too. Are they any better than the 3 above? I'm looking for suggestions. Please help! Thanks.
    Last edited by ThunderWolf2010; 04-11-2013 at 02:20 AM.

• Missing my AP

Re: DVD/Books on Disneyland?

I really feel that "Disneyland, Inside Story" does what you want, but I'm sure the others are good too. I don't know the current cost of that book but 10 years ago the going price was a couple hundred dollars, bought one on Ebay a couple years ago for $75. Don't regret it. It is one of those things I would grab if I had to evacuate.
    "...It's dead wore out I be...a might too fast these light footed wenches be, for the likes of an old swagbellied pirate such as I..."

"*click-click-click-click-click-click-click.......sploosh!!*"(Sir Didymus)

The Secret Tour of Disneyland and the two Walt Disney Treasures Disneyland DVD sets are good, but if you're looking for something that takes you back, via video, you might consider one of the older souvenir vhs tapes that you can find on ebay for reasonable costs and transfer to DVD. Of course, they aren't completely up to date since they stopped making them years ago. But, they have much better park footage than the poor DVD's they try to pass off as souvenir videos today.

The reason The Nickel Tour and Disneyland: Inside Story books are so expensive on the secondary market is because they've been out of print for quite awhile.

The Disneyland Encyclopedia is good as a reference book, but it is just what it sounds like, an encyclopedia. Not sure it will do the job of "taking you back" like a souvenir book would. Older vintage souvenir books can be found on ebay and Amazon Marketplace and the newest ones can sometime be purchased online, too. There are two kinds of souvenir books, the softcover ones and hardcover ones.

I have just about every book and official DVD about the parks so here's my recos. First of all, the Nickel Tour is THE book about the history of Disneyland up to a point. Amazing all the way around but very expensive. Cheaper alternative but great as well is the Inside Story by Randy Bright. Get it. Tons of other old school hardcover books on amazon or ebay...you can go nuts trying to track them down, I know I have.

As for DVD's, The Disney Treasures sets are both very good. Not sure on pricing nowdays so they may be a bit much. Secret Tour is fan made so not offical but I've heard it's good. Maybe look at the Imagineering the Magic: Disneyland DVD?

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    I have just about every book and official DVD about the parks so here's my recos. First of all, the Nickel Tour is THE book about the history of Disneyland up to a point. Amazing all the way around but very expensive. Cheaper alternative but great as well is the Inside Story by Randy Bright. Get it. Tons of other old school hardcover books on amazon or ebay...you can go nuts trying to track them down, I know I have.

As for DVD's, The Disney Treasures sets are both very good. Not sure on pricing nowdays so they may be a bit much. Secret Tour is fan made so not offical but I've heard it's good. Maybe look at the Imagineering the Magic: Disneyland DVD?

Agreed!
    For the love of Disney....

Thanks You guys! Really appreciate it. But I'm curious whats so special about the Nickel Tour? The book is only...392 pages? lol at least $400 for a book? I never heard of that...
    Last edited by ThunderWolf2010; 04-11-2013 at 01:21 PM.

• Koubu Pilot

It's a little outdated now, but there are a few Disney Parks documentaries on Netflix. One of them is about the Disneyland Resort. I think it predates 2010 when World of Color debuted.

• Minion

The two books I have always enjoyed is mouse tales and more mouse tales

The Nickel Tour book has photographs of every Disneyland postcard that was ever produced from day one to about 1995/1996 when the book was published. It also has stories about the images on the postcards. It was also published by a small publishing house. I think the book was $75 when it was first available.
    Check your local library they might have the book for checkout and if they don't, they can request the book from another library in their lending network.
    The Disney Treasures DVD's can be pricey but you might be able to score a good deal if you are willing to forego a mint copy and/or the tin the DVD's originally came in.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    The Nickel Tour book has photographs of every Disneyland postcard that was ever produced from day one to about 1995/1996 when the book was published. It also has stories about the images on the postcards. It was also published by a small publishing house. I think the book was $75 when it was first available.
    Check your local library they might have the book for checkout and if they don't, they can request the book from another library in their lending network.
    The Disney Treasures DVD's can be pricey but you might be able to score a good deal if you are willing to forego a mint copy and/or the tin the DVD's originally came in.
    I know this is off topic but if you really wanna feel disneyland , you gotta get "a musical history of disneyland"