• Senior Minion

Question What will they do about the Monorail if the Monster's Door Coaster Happens?

This question has been on my mind since the MiceAge article on Tuesday. If the Monster's coaster is built, how do you think they'll deal with the monorail? As the article says that it would use the space of both stage 17 and the Muppet's buildings, the attraction would have to cross over or under the monorail twice. Do you think the monorail would actually go through the interior of the building, have windows that allow you to see into the attraction or just pass through a tunnel or some other solution? Or maybe the coaster will go outside briefly from building to building to cross over the monorail so the building doesn't need to actually go over the monorail? That would probably be the least impact on monorail operations.

This is not a thread to debate this controversial new mini-land so please try to stay on topic.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Artistic integrity

Re: What will they do about the Monorail if the Monster's Door Coaster Happens?

It cuts through the Grand Californian with a "tunnel" type passage. With minimal impact on the hotel on all sides. I think they would do the same thing .. with whatever they do with the north corner of Hollywoodland. Where the attraction works it's way around path of the monorail ... much like the DLRR works around Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, PotC, and Indy's queue. But I doubt there would be any window looking in. If the main attraction is dark, then light would spill in .. which would ruin the effect.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Unhelpful User

Maybe it can have a mini show like the old people mover that used to have Tron during the ride but I highly doubt it.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    Maybe it can have a mini show like the old people mover that used to have Tron during the ride but I highly doubt it.
    The monorail would pass by too quickly.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    It cuts through the Grand Californian with a "tunnel" type passage. With minimal impact on the hotel on all sides. I think they would do the same thing .. with whatever they do with the north corner of Hollywoodland. Where the attraction works it's way around path of the monorail ... much like the DLRR works around Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, PotC, and Indy's queue. But I doubt there would be any window looking in. If the main attraction is dark, then light would spill in .. which would ruin the effect.
    I just wonder how long this would take down monorail service though. I guess it's not that big a deal and has to be done at some point. Does anyone remember how long it was down during Grand Californian construction?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Parking Lot > DCA

I think it would be cool if it went through the building and had windows. Similar to the Disneyland Railroad and Splash Mountain are.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    The monorail would pass by too quickly.
    It can slow down but if was wishful thinking

• No Disassemble!

A tunnel similar to what is used for the GC hotel is my guess as well. My gripe about the Splash Mountain railroad tunnel is that on really bright days it distracts from everything else happening in the show building.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DCAfanatic View Post
    It can slow down but if was wishful thinking
    Slowing down could make for tricky timing issues if they are running more than one train. However, I agree about the wishful thinking. It would be nice if they could make something like that work.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Let's just hope and pray the Monster's overlay doesn't happen.

I think it goes without saying that they'll have to route the buildings/shows around the Monorail track, as moving the track around is REALLY expensive. They did reroute the track to accommodate the Indy show building, but that was almost 20 years ago.

I think a sealed tunnel would be the way to go, but one-way mirrors would be interesting. Problem is, I think those only work when the viewer (i.e. the Monorail) is in a dark area and the viewee (the ride) is in a lit area, and it'll probably be the other way around for the ride. Some sort of see-thru wrap like they use on buses might work, though.