Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Mrs. J. Depp

Re: Disneyland Hotel Monorail?

Aww I remember staying at the hotel in 1997 and eating at the Monorail Cafe I believe (it was 50's themed) and then hopping on the monorail to get to Disneyland. Ahh memories.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Aww I remember staying at the hotel in 1997 and eating at the Monorail Cafe I believe (it was 50's themed) and then hopping on the monorail to get to Disneyland. Ahh memories.
    The Monorail Cafe was the best, I miss it
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    At wdw you can take the monorail to the hotel
    That's what I was thinking.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    At wdw you can take the monorail to the hotel
    That's what I was thinking.
    At WDW they pretty much built out all the original hotels as they built the park and placed the Hotel Monorail Line. They even built one hotel (the Contemporary) *around* the beam, the station is inside the building. Nothing has had to move. They have built a few more hotels along the line.

To learn far more than any human can stand to about the Disneyland Hotel, search around on the Internet - A good starting point is Disneyland® Hotel history: the Books by Donald W. Ballard{LINK}

When they built the Disneyland Hotel the original Lobby was right under the Monorail Station, and all the services and restaurants were in that building right under and next to the Monorail line. Note that the monorail wasn't extended to the Hotel till it had been open a few years. The two-story "garden room" Motel style buildings surrounded the Lobby Building - the density was very low, and they found far more demand than they could supply rooms.

Over time the Hotel has creeped 'back' to the West - the new Tower buildings in the back, the Convention Center, the Marina and newer restaurants, a far larger pool area. And old buildings in the 'front' like the original shops and restaurants building and the original swimming pool were demolished.

If you see old pictures with the original center tower (with the exterior elevator off-center) and the signs read "Hotel Disneyland" that was before they added onto the building to the south and put the view elevator "back in the center" again. The sign wouldn't fit the other way - Oopsie! Matter of fact, you can see the original Tower here - and the sign and elevator location are all wrong. Disneyland Hotel - mid-60s artist's overview{LINK}

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Parking Lot > DCA

Just for fun, and for the OP, here are some photos of the old hotel station.

Name:  6fd382bb-85d2-4801-8318-101523f84f1c_zps19c72f87.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  154.5 KB

Name:  ec9d5f70-a3bf-4016-923f-ef4d94c604c0_zpsefb445fd.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  127.9 KB

Name:  bca9dbbd-4bd6-47ed-972c-73b8e8482a42_zps707f4db8.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  152.8 KB

Name:  30ffd6d5-dfcf-491a-a808-a1380a809332_zpse4039fcf.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  116.1 KB

(via davelandweb.com)

• New Member Goes Forth

The hotel moved, but the monorail has not changed its route
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Senior Monorail Minion

In regards to the beam moving, it has never moved at the hotel location. However, it did move when Indy was built in the early 90s in order make room for the show building. What used to be a gentle curve from the hotel station has become a little jarring nowadays.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    In regards to the beam moving, it has never moved at the hotel location. However, it did move when Indy was built in the early 90s in order make room for the show building. What used to be a gentle curve from the hotel station has become a little jarring nowadays.
    Nope. Again, not an inch - at least not on purpose. They have had to correct for the pin and sleeve joints between the beam sections and the pylons not being perfectly aligned in the past - there were a few joints where the trains hit a little 'Speedbump' at a pylon. They pulled the joint pins, jacked the sections into perfect alignment, bored out the hole a little, then installed an oversized pin in the newly enlarged holes.

The Eeyore section of the old parking lot (Buses and Motorhomes) was where the Indy show building is now - they didn't move the monorail, they shrunk the parking lot.

There's an Eeyore Lot sign from an old light post hidden up on the projector platform of the Indy safety film room - take a good flashlight and it's reflective.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Yes Virginia, the Monorail Station did move.

At Disneyland, Perception trumps reality......many visitors to the park perceive that the monorail station has moved.

If perception trumps reality, and people's perception is that it has moved.....it has moved
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Jeff don't go confusing this man's poor mother.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Yes Virginia, the Monorail Station did move.

At Disneyland, Perception trumps reality......many visitors to the park perceive that the monorail station has moved.

If perception trumps reality, and people's perception is that it has moved.....it has moved
    And thats the really confusing part at least for me. My 13 year old self remembers the hotel at a different time, way back when the hotel did extend to the monorail, I have a hard time now figuring out space wise what moved and such. But generally I do remember the hotel grounds being larger with a lagoon in the middle and shops and restaurants all along the edges between the towers.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Nope. Again, not an inch - at least not on purpose. They have had to correct for the pin and sleeve joints between the beam sections and the pylons not being perfectly aligned in the past - there were a few joints where the trains hit a little 'Speedbump' at a pylon. They pulled the joint pins, jacked the sections into perfect alignment, bored out the hole a little, then installed an oversized pin in the newly enlarged holes.
    I dunno, it looks like they moved the monorail tracks an awful lot for these purposes to me. In fact, it looks as though the track were moved deliberately to fit right around the Indy show building:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.80...num=1&t=h&z=17

The Eeyore section of the old parking lot (Buses and Motorhomes) was where the Indy show building is now - they didn't move the monorail, they shrunk the parking lot.
    They didn't just shrink the parking lot--the monorail track used to run close to the southwest corner of the Jungle Cruise, but after Indy it doesn't anymore. There is no way that they did not substantially move the track at some point after the Disneyland Hotel station was added, and I've always remembered the change happening when Indy was being built.

For reference, here are some earlier photos:
    http://davelandweb.com/aerial/images/Aerial_62_63.jpg
    http://davelandweb.com/aerial/images/Aerial_8_15_70.jpg

• враг народа

Blog Entries

They have built a few more hotels along the line
    Only one hotel has been added to the Walt Disney World Monorail System, the Grand Floridan. There has been expansion, mostly for the Disney Vacation Club, but no other new hotels.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    I dunno, it looks like they moved the monorail tracks an awful lot for these purposes to me. In fact, it looks as though the track were moved deliberately to fit right around the Indy show building:
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.80...num=1&t=h&z=17

yes, there was a relocation when Indy show building was built. the section from the top of the curve nearest the hotel to the current picnic area was moved south to make room for construction.

• Senior Monorail Minion

It was a pretty significant move, causing a second curve essentially, as shown by the maps others have posted. While the parking lot didn't move, the Indy building is much taller than an RV

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast