Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Disneyland Hotel Monorail?

Alright, here's a question:

My mother (47 years old) claims that the Monorail used to actually have a stop inside the Disneyland Hotel lobby, that you could ride if you were staying there and wanted a quick way back to the hotel.

Is this true? We asked some of the Monorail operators about it but they didn't know (I don't expect ride operators to know Disney history I guess

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Re: Disneyland Hotel Monorail?

Quote Originally Posted by greeeneyes17 View Post

My mother (47 years old) claims that the Monorail used to actually have a stop inside the Disneyland Hotel lobby, that you could ride if you were staying there and wanted a quick way back to the hotel.

Is this true? We asked some of the Monorail operators about it but they didn't know (I don't expect ride operators to know Disney history I guess
    Where the Monorail stop is now in DTD used to be where the DLH used to come out to.
    Name:  images (1).jpg
Views: 659
Size:  11.7 KB
    Name:  images2.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  9.2 KB
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

This comes up all the time, while the station didn't move, your mother is right.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by greeeneyes17 View Post

The Monorail never stopped inside any of the Disneyland Hotel lobbies (they were relocated over time). The Hotel monorail station was on the raised platform next to the Monorail Bar, above the Travelport (which once was the lobby).

Hotel guests needed a ticket to ride the monorail, like everyone else; there was a ticket booth and hand stamp kiosk at the Hotel monorail station.

Before Downtown Disney, the quickest way for Disneyland Hotel guests to get to and from the park was the Hotel Tram. Although the Monorail was no slouch in that regard: in the years before the Eisner regime cut back on customer service, there were always three monorail trains running at peak times.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The Monorail never stopped inside any of the Disneyland Hotel lobbies (they were relocated over time). The Hotel monorail station was on the raised platform next to the Monorail Bar, above the Travelport (which once was the lobby).

Hotel guests needed a ticket to ride the monorail, like everyone else; there was a ticket booth and hand stamp kiosk at the Hotel monorail station.

Before Downtown Disney, the quickest way for Disneyland Hotel guests to get to and from the park was the Hotel Tram. Although the Monorail was no slouch in that regard: in the years before the Eisner regime cut back on customer service, there were always three monorail trains running at peak times.

I do seem to recall that people could ride the Monorail without having actual park admission ticket books, just a single trip Monorail ticket. They couldn't get off in Tomorrowland, they could only do a round trip. Now mind you, I'm talking about '59 - very early '60s. I just seem to remember this from when I was a little kid (like 5-6 or so), but you never know. Childhood memories can be faulty, so someone correct me please, if I'm wrong.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    I do seem to recall that people could ride the Monorail without having actual park admission ticket books, just a single trip Monorail ticket. They couldn't get off in Tomorrowland, they could only do a round trip. Now mind you, I'm talking about '59 - very early '60s. I just seem to remember this from when I was a little kid (like 5-6 or so), but you never know. Childhood memories can be faulty, so someone correct me please, if I'm wrong.
    My mom used to take me there as an after school surprise sometimes. She would pay just for a round trip on the monorail - I think it was like a dollar or so. Other times we would go down to Newport where we would take a ride on the Balboa Island Ferry, just for the ride. I would say this was probably when I was around 5 or so, which would have been roughly in 1973.

• Senior Minion

You and DisneyIPresume are right -- one could buy a round trip monorail ticket at the Hotel station. I seem to recall it being that way through the early 80s at least.

- Neil Gabler

At wdw you can take the monorail to the hotel

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    My mom used to take me there as an after school surprise sometimes. She would pay just for a round trip on the monorail - I think it was like a dollar or so. Other times we would go down to Newport where we would take a ride on the Balboa Island Ferry, just for the ride. I would say this was probably when I was around 5 or so, which would have been roughly in 1973.

Oh YES! The good old Balboa Ferry. And the 'Fun Zone'. Good times, man, good times! I wonder what they charge for the ferry ride these days.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Oh YES! ...I wonder what they charge for the ferry ride these days.
    $2 for car and driver, $1 each for extra passengers.
    Well worth it.

• All-American

I'm kind of surprised the monorail operators didn't know the answer to this. I would assume that cast members at an attraction as iconic as the monorail would at least be trained in the history of their own attraction.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

The Monorail Beam hasn't moved an inch, and neither has the Monorail Station - Well, it could have been moved 10 or 20 feet North along the beam, but that's it. The Disneyland Hotel has slowly been creeping back to the west.

Look in Post #2, the steel beams were connected to the original Lobby and Restaurant building, which is roughly where Rainforest Cafe' was and extending south to about the south end of the gap between the Lego Store and AMC Theaters - the AMC Theaters is roughly over the original Pool.

The Towers haven't moved, but they tore down all the original two-story "Garden Rooms" that were south of the current AMC Theatres and north of ESPN Zone. What was the Administration Tower is now ESPN Zone.

Superimpose a map from 1956 and one from 2013 (and a few in between, say 10-year jumps) and line them all up with the Monorail Beam as the match-point, and all the redevelopments and changes will be revealed.

Oh, and the Tailcone Rides on the monorail lasted a long time - at least till they started having more "accidental" door openings at the Tomorrowland platform, and people would just walk out like they had an admission ticket. Buy a few single ride tickets at a Land ticket booth, and you could spend the day once you were in.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    I'm kind of surprised the monorail operators didn't know the answer to this. I would assume that cast members at an attraction as iconic as the monorail would at least be trained in the history of their own attraction.
    Sadly, the days when the Disneyland University gave Cast Members the extensive, in-depth training that Disney was once famous for, are long gone.

- Neil Gabler

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Sadly, the days when the Disneyland University gave Cast Members the extensive, in-depth training that Disney was once famous for, are long gone.
    Unless you get lucky enough to ask someone who has been there for 30 or 40 years. There are a few. If you do, stop and buy a Lottery ticket or two on the way home.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Disneyland 20 year APH

The only change to the Monorail location in its history has been for DCA while during construction, Indy, and Finding Nemo. The locations of the beams have not changed since the opening of the extended line to the hotel. If I remember pre-DTD there were adds on the monorail platform for restaurants at the hotel.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast