Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fantasyland

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Re: Fantasyland

The whole problem with all of this talk about Toontown is that you are now approaching the fireworks zone. Disneyland would not be able to do big fireworks shows. Toontown is mostly buildings and cement because of the falling fire coming down on it every night. If you want to expand Fantasyland it would have to be a pretty empty place with just buildings because you really can't push the foliage any farther back. Also being able to close a whole land makes more sense than closing off a portion of land every night for fireworks.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

A bit off topic, but I wonder why Gadget's Go Coaster is still Gadget's. While I loved watching Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers back in the day I think no child of today recognizes who Gadget is.

Now a bit back on topic, I always figured the E-ticket to solve Toontown would be a dark ride/coaster combination focused on Mickey Mouse, with maybe Pete playing the role of a villain. Or maybe another story treatment could be a roller coaster adaptation of Clock Cleaners which would also bring Goofy and Donald into the ride...

Just so many untapped potential with Toontown.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

You know why the have left Gadgets its for limited time magic. When they have another long lost friends week and bring out the Rescue Rangers everybody will know who's it is.

I'm all for more Mickey Mouse attractions in the park. I was talking with another MC member tonight about an idea for Paradise Pier for a Mickey Mouse boardwalk tacky haunted house. But now I'm off topic. Clock tower is a great idea!
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Toontown could use an update, but I don't know about getting rid of it. It's very popular for kids and I enjoy walking around the land and going into the houses. It definitly could use a ride that would appeal to adults more. Personally the Roger Rabbit ride doesn't appeal to me, mainly because there always seems to be a long wait. A Mickey dark ride that people have mentioned, would be a great ideal.

Saying that, I love Fantasyland and if they expanded it, I wouldn't complain. Just not sure what could be added to fantasyland at this point. Maybe a Tiana inspired dark ride, taking people down to New Orleans? I'd love that

My problem with Toontown is that the fun has been taking out of it. Everything is a former shell of its self. Before a person could climb a cargo net, climb up a spiral staircase go down slides, play in acorn pits. As a child I found that so much fun;I look at it now and its just buildings . There is no theme/fun/zany in Donald's Boat, Chip and Dales or Goofy's house.

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    Methinks that because most of the participants here are grown-ups (or at least tall enough to drive at Autopia), we discount the value of Toontown, Bug's Land and even Fantasy Faire.

Just the thought of removing Toontown makes me feel like some evil landlord wants to evict Mickey Mouse!
    Exactly! I think I'm just too old for all of the above...

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Skipper View Post
    My problem with Toontown is that the fun has been taking out of it. Everything is a former shell of its self. Before a person could climb a cargo net, climb up a spiral staircase go down slides, play in acorn pits. As a child I found that so much fun;I look at it now and its just buildings . There is no theme/fun/zany in Donald's Boat, Chip and Dales or Goofy's house.
    And that is why I've created some ideas for improving Toontown and actually replacing Donald and Goofy's houses and using their spots for new houses for Donald and Goofy serving as queues for new rides (hence Donald's Air Academy).

Anyway, I will now divulge my idea for further improvements to Toontown, in this case, to improve Goofy's Bounce House/Playhouse. I was pondering replacing it with a revised version of an abandoned concept for a ride called "Goofy About Road Trips", which was to have been put in the California Adventure as part of a section on CA's car culture, before Carsland happened. The trouble was finding the space for it. Then I heard rumors that the company that helped to make Goofy's Paint 'n' Playhouse in Tokyo might be adding similar attractions in other Disney parks, possibly a duplicate of this kind of attraction to Disneyland. Here's an image of the attraction in Tokyo (as the house is repainted like a spaceship):

Here's a video of the attraction in action (the house is being painted as a Western saloon):

Then someone suggested to expand on the concept into a dark ride, where you go through the house and redecorate, something like the Tokyo Monsters Inc. ride merged with the Toy Story midway ride. As for spatial constraints, we could go under the train tracks and back, like with the Haunted Mansion, but in reverse, since Toontown is out beyond the berm. I'm envisioning something out past the Fantasyland Theater. The space needed for the dark ride will probably be no larger than the Toy Story midway ride and might even be a little less.

What are your thoughts so far?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

I like Donald's boat idea coaster. What do you do with Gadgets go Coaster?

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Skipper View Post
    I like Donald's boat idea coaster. What do you do with Gadgets go Coaster?
    Gadget's Go Coaster would have been removed in my plan for Toontown. I may or may not use the same coaster track, however.

My plan was to help revive Toontown. In order to do that, sections of the land that had become mere shells of their old selves (i.e., Donald's Boat, Goofy's Bounce House/Playhouse) will be removed and their areas repurposed as new attractions themed to the Disney characters.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

Methinks that because most of the participants here are grown-ups (or at least tall enough to drive at Autopia), we discount the value of Toontown, Bug's Land and even Fantasy Faire.
    Disneyland is based, in large part, on the idea that a park could appeal to a wide range of age groups at once--this is fundamental and applies to all areas and attractions, so setting aside areas for narrow age groups expressly goes against Disneyland's founding philosophy.

Just the thought of removing Toontown makes me feel like some evil landlord wants to evict Mickey Mouse!
    Mickey could always live backstage, so to speak, like he had before Toontown opened. Either that, or Toontown should be significantly improved in every respect to provide greater appeal for older demographics while remaining just as appealing for younger children.

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    The whole problem with all of this talk about Toontown is that you are now approaching the fireworks zone. Disneyland would not be able to do big fireworks shows. Toontown is mostly buildings and cement because of the falling fire coming down on it every night. If you want to expand Fantasyland it would have to be a pretty empty place with just buildings because you really can't push the foliage any farther back. Also being able to close a whole land makes more sense than closing off a portion of land every night for fireworks.
    In that case, if the current Toontown area were to be used for Fantasyland expansion (seems unlikely, but speaking hypothetically here), then I suppose it could potentially house two large indoor E-ticket attractions or one really large one, with their facade(s) on the inside of the tracks.

• Not the Fallen

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    I agree. My family never goes to Toontown, not because of a lack of theme but because it lacks rides. Roger while fun is not enough to justify going into a dead end corner of the park. It is the same issue Bear Country had before Splash Mountain opened. However if their was a solid E-ticket in the land I would move heaven and earth to make it to Toontown.
    Agreed!

Giggity

• Minion

As a child I always thought Gadgets Coaster was based on Inspector Gadget.

Also as a child I remember enjoying the houses as they are now. Even Chip and Dale's Tree house, which is nothing more than a themed staircase, holds some childhood memories for me.

Saying that if Toon Town was replaced I wouldn't be heart broken even though I do quite like the land.

Continuing on with my idea for improving Toontown...

Again, this is not my original idea, I got it from someone else, but in regards of the Goofy dark ride, you would travel through his whole house to repaint it. It would have a bit of the interactive aspect to it like the Toy Story midway ride or even the Tokyo Monsters Inc. ride. The person's idea (the one I got from the one who had the idea) was to have it have two separate tracks where two separate groups would try to compete to get as much of the house repainted as possible, with the winners being congratulated by Goofy and the losers having to "clean up the mess" afterward.

As much as I like that idea, like I said, we need to be careful because we don't have much space to work with. The only way it would work, as I said, is if they started off in the actual house but then went into some big "show building", like in the Haunted Mansion, but in reverse: since Toontown is outside the berm, the building would be back inside the park (probably past the Fantasyland Theater). I think I would probably combine the two tracks, and maybe seat two rows per ride vehicle and have the two competing parties in each row (say, two riders per seat). I have no idea what the ride vehicles could be, however. Maybe couches, like the Cat in the Hat ride at Islands of Adventure.

And one more thing, if we went through the whole house, I've been thinking about other rooms' theme ideas. In the original Tokyo attraction, you're simply repainting the same living room every time, but in a different theme. Here's a couple of examples:

#1: Western saloon:

#2: Medieval castle:

So anyway, as you can see by the videos, the paint splotches reveal actual bits of real transformation into something different every time. So if we did the whole house and not just one room, here's another idea I found (again, it's not mine; I'm just explaining so it doesn't look like I'm just stealing ideas): instead of just painting the living room, you go into Goofy's bedroom, Kitchen, Guest Room, his Garage and his Dining room. That's six rooms for the attraction which should be plenty. Some possible themes are turning Goofy's messy kitchen into something sleek and modern. And for repeatability we could have multiple themes for each. Here are a couple of examples of rooms below:

Kitchen
    '50s Kitchen (with a picture of Goofy as George Geef?)
    Western Saloon (maybe the saloon theme of the living room in Tokyo could be used here instead)
    Modern Kitchen
    European-Themed Kitchen
    Forest-Themed Kitchen
    Asian-Themed Kitchen

Living Room
    Space Station
    Jungle
    Castle
    Beach
    Boathouse

What do you think so far?

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    I don't think this applies to modern fireworks, which are designed to burn up completely before even getting close to the ground. Is the Toontown paint flame retardant as well in that line of thinking? *scratches head*
    Anyway, I don't think the firework command center has anything to do with Toontown anymore.

It does feel like a shell of its former self and could use a serious refurnishment, redesign or reassignment.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast