Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

• Special Agent

Re: Editors Note: Multiple Disneyland Attractions Closed by DOSH for Safety Reasons

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    I think we're arguing semantics here.
    Not really.There is a huge difference between DOSH shutting down the attractions and Disney voluntarily doing so.

DOSH shutting them down implies that Disney was so negligent with their safety procedures that the state had to step in.

Disney voluntarily shutting them down shows that Disney is committed to making them safe, going even above what the law and state had recommended.

Lets put it this way: If Space Mountain failed its daily inspection and Disney kept the attraction closed, without the DOSH report having come out the day before, would this be newsworthy? Probably not. Disney closes attractions every day due to safety issues which are then corrected so the attraction can reopen. The only difference between yesterday and many other days before it - is that the DOSH report coincidentally came out the day before.

• 47 SMīs in 2 days baby !

Re: Editors Note: Multiple Disneyland Attractions Closed by DOSH for Safety Reasons

According to Disneyland.com the only E-Ticket down today is Big Thunder.

What the hell???

• 47 SMīs in 2 days baby !

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    It'll be interesting to see what else OSHA can find fault with. I wonder if OSHA said that if Disney agreed to "voluntarily" close Space and Soarin' then they wouldn't have to go through the process of having them shutdown by OSHA, which is more headache for OSHA.
    This sounds like something that would happen.
    It's like when an employee isn't working out.
    You don't fire them, but they voluntarily leave.
    Yes, they were really fired, but
    Both get what they want without a "bad" paper trail.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Great, I hope it's not for an indefinite amount of time.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Boy, its all over the news now. It was on tv and the local papers: Space Mountain closed as Disney reviews safety - SFGate

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    I agree completely.

I've worked in heavy construction for 38 years; I've seen the industry with and without safety regulations.

While I realize there would be some difference between construction and amusement park safety, enforcement is very likely the same. All it takes is one inspector with more power than he can handle to cause a mess like this. I've seen it happen. But shutting down a construction job is nowhere as newsworthy as shutting down major rides at DL.

My guess is that DOSH has cited the violations at some previous time, DL was 'working on' the issues, but some hot-shot at DOSH decided to make a name for himself. And maybe get a promotion.

You can bet that TDC lawyers are busily at work today. Shutting down stuff like this on a Saturday is not exactly standard operating procedure for DOSH, unless there was a serious hazard that developed on that day.

If it can be proved that this shutdown was in any way malicious, DOSH could very well be in serious trouble. I hope it does come down to this; all government safety regulators are in serious need of a severe butt-kicking.

Yes, I know my post is more of a rant than anything else, but I've been a victim of ill-written rigidly enforced safety regulation for a lot of years. If a few of these zealots were sent to prison, maybe the rest of them would concentrate on true safety, not just ramming a bunch of idiotic rules on us.
    I agree with you completely. Cal OSHA is a total waste of taxpayer $$ to satisfy the ego of a few bureaucrats. I say waste of $$ because it duplicates the efforts of the Federal OSHA. I would suggest that many of these "inspectors" are long on education and very short of real world experience and common sense.

Seems like this situation is still pretty uncertain, but does anybody have information as to how long space and soarin' will be closed? I have my annual visit scheduled in a week and a half and I would rather reschedule and go at a later tome than go when these rides are closed. Thank you.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Since the date of the DOSH report is 4/12, any violations contained there in should have necessitating the closing of the attraction(s) yesterday and not today. Why would they wait a whole day before shutting it down of it were unsafe?

Its purely speculative at this point to assume that the Space Mountain report has any bearing on the attractions that are closed today. Its also purely assumption at this point that DOSH even requested the attractions be closed. In the case of Alice, Disney volunteered to close the attraction despite there being no violation.
    This is my take on the issue... Disney knows DOSH is coming in for an inspection, specifically looking for these issues. So, they take preemptive action by shutting down the rides to get the area fixed prior to the inspection. Splash issues (probably the 30" drop) were resolved quickly, Matterhorns were done by today, but Space and Soarin are still being worked on. They needed to close to get the work done in time for the inspection so they WOULDN"T be closed by DOSH. If you look at DOSH website, there is no closure issued.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    This is my take on the issue... Disney knows DOSH is coming in for an inspection, specifically looking for these issues. So, they take preemptive action by shutting down the rides to get the area fixed prior to the inspection. Splash issues (probably the 30" drop) were resolved quickly, Matterhorns were done by today, but Space and Soarin are still being worked on. They needed to close to get the work done in time for the inspection so they WOULDN"T be closed by DOSH. If you look at DOSH website, there is no closure issued.
    I hope they're opened up in 2 weeks!! That's when we're going!

The DOSH report never mentioned anything about a closure.

And the idea that Disney would voluntarily close an attraction to ensure its safety is not any more outrageous than the alternative:
    That DOSH found an imminent danger with the operation of the attraction as part of their inspection in November found that it wasn't corrected during the inspection on Wednesday, issued the report on Friday, but didn't close the attraction until Saturday.... just because?

If Disney is lying about closing the attractions voluntarily, I am absolutely sure that DOSH will say otherwise. Disney knows that DOSH would say otherwise and of course would be called out on it, so why bother to try to cover it up?
    I doubt DOSH required the attractions be immediately closed, but think about this for a second. They did issue a report with numerous violations with words like "serious", "willful" and "repeat", along with $200k in fines. When somebody in the public finally came across that report and bothered to read it, how would Disney look if the attractions remained open without the issue being addressed?

DOSH may not have ordered the attractions closed, but their report was so serious it gave Disney no other choice.

As for this business about closing the attractions on a busy Saturday for publicity, come on. We just came out of Spring Break. If this was all about putting the worst hurt on Disney, the inspections and reports could have been done a couple of weeks ago.

Mr. Wiggins is right about this situation. There is no way to make DOSH to be the bad guy in this. Disney has had plenty of time to address these issues and they simply have failed to do so. They (and we) have nobody to blame but themselves.

•   
    • Minion

The DOSH PDF was relating only to the investigation of the accident on November 21. It would have no bearing on any other attraction.

If DOSH believed there was an immediate danger to employees, the ride would (should) have been shut down in November when the investigation began, not five months later.

Since the date of the DOSH report is 4/12, any violations contained there in should have necessitating the closing of the attraction(s) yesterday and not today. Why would they wait a whole day before shutting it down of it were unsafe?

Its purely speculative at this point to assume that the Space Mountain report has any bearing on the attractions that are closed today. Its also purely assumption at this point that DOSH even requested the attractions be closed. In the case of Alice, Disney volunteered to close the attraction despite there being no violation.

We won't know all the answers until Monday, assuming the attractions are still closed by then.
    And again, as I said before, the Space Mountain PDF is the only one online. That doesn't mean DOSH didn't issue separate citations for other attractions; it means those citations are not available online. Nobody said the SM issues have bearing on other rides; we've said DOSH has also been inspecting those. They've said that DOSH is going through every single attractions and it's been said that Disney has decided to proactively close them and fix known issues to avoid citations there.

That makes Disney look worse, in fact - if they knew there were issues on the other rides, they should have fixed those things before DOSH made them scramble to do it.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    If employers provided safe working environments, we wouldn't need OSHA.
    10000% spot on.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    If employers provided safe working environments, we wouldn't need OSHA.
    Exactly. Whining that Space will be closed on my upcoming trip would be pathetic. Make the appropriate changes, when it's safe I'll ride again.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer28 View Post
    I hope they're opened up in 2 weeks!! That's when we're going!
    And if not?

(BTW: thats when Im going, too!)

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast