Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Re: Editors Note: Multiple Disneyland Attractions Closed by DOSH for Safety Reasons

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    And if not?

(BTW: thats when Im going, too!)
    Then I suppose I'm gonna miss out on some good attractions!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Editors Note: Multiple Disneyland Attractions Closed by DOSH for Safety Reasons

Quote Originally Posted by AhpalovestheDuck View Post
    I agree with you completely. Cal OSHA is a total waste of taxpayer $$ to satisfy the ego of a few bureaucrats. I say waste of $$ because it duplicates the efforts of the Federal OSHA. I would suggest that many of these "inspectors" are long on education and very short of real world experience and common sense.
    As I posted earlier, the state legislature also feels that in its current state the California Medical Board is a total waste of taxpayer money and plans to dissolve it in January if it doesn't tighten it's policies regarding disciplinary actions against physicians. With nothing in place to replace it should they actually let it dissolve would this really be a good idea to get rid of it?

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    If employers provided safe working environments, we wouldn't need OSHA.
    This is true.

Having been involved hands-on in the construction trades before OSHA, I've seen quite a few positive changes. I remember that most ladders were rickety old wooden ones that would collapse occasionally. These days, if you use a ladder at all, it's pretty sturdy, and more often than not, you'll be in a lift, not a ladder.

Much safer.

The one and only thing I have against safety rules is that like every other government program, it started out good, then became more of a control issue than anything else.

These days, physically, jobs are quite a bit safer, psychologically, they're far more hazardous.

• MaliBOOMer

Disneyland Resort allowed employees of HSG Inc. to connect supportline(s) and safety line(s) to unapproved anchorages when they cleaned the exterior of SpaceMountain from boatswain's chairs and controlled descent apparatus (CDA). As a result,on November 21, 2012, an employee of HSG, Inc. suffered serious injuries when hisunapproved anchorage point failed causing him to fall down the exterior of SpaceMountain.
    That is actually a serious problem ^
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer28 View Post
    Then I suppose I'm gonna miss out on some good attractions!
    Fair enough, me too probably.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but according to the news it was Disney's decision to close the attractions. Supposedly the attractions were inspected and some concerns for backstage safety was found and Disney got the citations on Friday.

Disney then decided on Saturday to close the attractions to correct the areas of concern

Don't know if this has been said but I was talking to a few guests who bought one day one park tickets for DL, and when they went to guest relations understandably disappointed that all the mountains were closed, but were planning on just paying the difference to get park hoppers and Disney gave them the hopper upgrade for free. Apparently they did this for all guests who complained. Just throwing that out there

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    the reason regulations and agency like OSHA exist is because in the past when they did not exist, companies didn't exactly have safe working environments.

Companies of the past showed they could not be trusted to provide a safe and healthy work environment so regulations were put into place to force it onto companies.
    Exactly. Even a casual study of the history of workplace safety (or rather, un-safety) shows that an overwhelming majority of industries blew off safety (worker, consumer and environmental) for profits -- and in countries that don't have the equivalent of DOSH, they still do.

Industry's historical rationalizations for not needing regulation read like a litany of self-serving arrogance, mixed with hypocritical claims of concern for their workers.

The spin: Disney's claim that its actions this weekend were motivated by concern for their employees and contractors.

The reality:

Disneyland Resort allowed employees of HSG Inc. to connect support line(s) and safety line(s) to unapproved anchorages when they cleaned the exterior of Space Mountain from boatswain's chairs and controlled descent apparatus (CDA). As a result, on November 21, 2012, an employee of HSG, Inc. suffered serious injuries when his unapproved anchorage point failed causing
    him
    to fall down the exterior of Space Mountain.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Sock Puppet

From Deadline...

Disneyland reps insist the closures of Space Mountain, Soarin’ Over California, and The Matterhorn are unrelated to the safety of park guests. But the shutdowns coming in the wake of a CAL/OSHA safety citation could spook some patrons of the Happiest Place On Earth, where last November a contractor employee was seriously injured in a fall while performing maintenance on Space Mountain. CAL/OSHA issued its inspection citation of the incident on Friday, including penalties totaling $234K for violations ranging from out of date fire extinguishers to the lack of sufficient support lines and unsafe conditions involved in November’s accident. Saturday the attractions were voluntarily closed for review of internal safety protocols for employees and contractors, Disneyland Media Relations Director Suzi Brown told Deadline. The Matterhorn reopened Sunday but the other two rides remain closed.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post

Lets put it this way: If Space Mountain failed its daily inspection and Disney kept the attraction closed, without the DOSH report having come out the day before, would this be newsworthy? Probably not. Disney closes attractions every day due to safety issues which are then corrected so the attraction can reopen. The only difference between yesterday and many other days before it - is that the DOSH report coincidentally came out the day before.
    There are no comprehensive daily safety inspections of attractions, certainly they aren't looking at design issues like handrailings on a daily basis. The DOSH report prompted Disney to do something about Space as they received citations for stuff they didn't fix when they should have and some of the stuff *has* to be fixed or else the attractions will close.

I have to think you're joking when you say that Space would have had an unannounced emergency closure if the DOSH citations didn't happen.

• Sock Puppet

Hard to get how some *think* shutting down the parks biggest attractions on a weekend and that also causes a guest relations disaster not to mention a TON of bad press --- as being voluntary. Gimme a break.. This incident to me is among many customer service failures of late.. There has been a definite decline in moral of employees hence some horrible service failures of late.. I have the scars to prove it

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly. Even a casual study of the history of workplace safety (or rather, un-safety) shows that an overwhelming majority of industries blew off safety (worker, consumer and environmental) for profits -- and in countries that don't have the equivalent of DOSH, they still do.

Industry's historical rationalizations for not needing regulation read like a litany of self-serving arrogance, mixed with hypocritical claims of concern for their workers.

The spin: Disney's claim that its actions this weekend were motivated by concern for their employees and contractors.

The reality:

Disneyland Resort allowed employees of HSG Inc. to connect support line(s) and safety line(s) to unapproved anchorages when they cleaned the exterior of Space Mountain from boatswain's chairs and controlled descent apparatus (CDA). As a result, on November 21, 2012, an employee of HSG, Inc. suffered serious injuries when his unapproved anchorage point failed causing
    him
    to fall down the exterior of Space Mountain.

Only a fifth grader would think that Disney did this out of the goodness of its heart and concern for the safety of its workers as these deficiencies were noted beforehand, unless you could make the argument that Mouse House management is so disorganized that they literally didn't realize that they had stuff to remedy, or maybe that they lost the "To Do List" and were surprised that there was an issue.

When it comes to the point of telling Disney that Space will be shutdown in a month, its panic mode and not closing Space out of an abudance of caution. This story was on Google News' main page so the negative press is an issue and this is why they are spinning it.

Looks like Wiggins got this one right.

• Sock Puppet

Agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Exactly. Whining that Space will be closed on my upcoming trip would be pathetic. Make the appropriate changes, when it's safe I'll ride again.
    Are you planning on scaling the outside of the building? Because that's why the attraction was shut down.

• How Peculiar

I was at the park today, April 14 and only Soarin', Space Mountain, and of course Big Thunder were closed. Matterhorn and Splash puled in lines.

What was pretty interesting is that in front of Soarin', there was some sort of activity going on. Does anyone know what exactly they were doing in front of the attraction?
    Fighting just to survive but you taught me I can.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast