Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Editors Note: Multiple Disneyland Attractions Closed by DOSH for Safety Reasons

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I am Upset with DOSH. This is more about punishing Disneyland than really providing safety for anyone. I am sorry that the Disneyland employee got hurt back in November. But this is all about government overstepping its bounds. Nobody is safer because these rides were closed. I am sorry that accidents happen in the workplace, but every workplace has accidents. Sure we can make rides safer, but this is about government's not yet not having any commonsense.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Editors Note: Multiple Disneyland Attractions Closed by DOSH for Safety Reasons

I am Upset with DOSH. This is more about punishing Disneyland than really providing safety for anyone. I am sorry that the Disneyland employee got hurt back in November. But this is all about government overstepping its bounds. Nobody is safer because these rides were closed. I am sorry that accidents happen in the workplace, but every workplace has accidents. Sure we can make rides safer, but this is about government's not yet not having any commonsense.
    Yep!

Meanwhile, millions of Californians will strap themselves and their children into a car (an activity that is literally thousands of times more dangerous than any ride at Disneyland).

If it's really about safety.....why no state-wide 20MPH speed limit?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Et tu, brute?

• -

Again, blaming the cop because of the speeding ticket. If Disney would have installed the safety railings for their workers, the tie off points for their contractors, maintained the records they were supposed to keep, had proper fire extinguishers… etc, the rides would be open. This is all on Disney, not the body that is enforcing the rule.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

i think none of us knows enough information on what exactly happened, so blaming or cheering DOSH and or disney is probably going to be very premature at this point. that said, i'm sure disney/dosh will ensure the rides are safe for contractors going forward, so the only thing that we as visitors can worry about is the status of the rides.

does anyone have any up to date info on what rides are open and closed from being in the parks? i've heard at this point the only one that's going to be down for a while is space mountain.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Yep!

Meanwhile, millions of Californians will strap themselves and their children into a car (an activity that is literally thousands of times more dangerous than any ride at Disneyland).If it's really about safety.....why no state-wide 20MPH speed limit?

Keep in mind the safety of the attractions isn't in question. It's the safety of people working on them. Driving a car safely is a choice we all make when we get in a car. Being told you have to work on a building that doesn't meet government regulated safety precautions is a different item.

To me Disney had several months of this knowledge and did nothing to fix the situation not a very good choice IMO. My pass ran out yesterday I won't renew until they have this situation resolved. They should have a internal audit team that knows the regulations and have them check all of their attractions so that it doesn't take an accident for them to act on it.

• The one, the only...

So you think that if Disney does not keep their records as detailed as DOSH wants them that the rides should be shut down? How does that create a safe environment? Was DOSH clear about how they wanted the records? Maybe Disney did all it could to do it they way DOSH wanted but when inspected, a different inspector now wanted it a different way. Where is the appeal process in this? DOSH could easily asked for Disney to clear up its records and not closed any rides. To assume that Disney did nothing for months is really suspect. I am sure that Disney did what it understood it was supposed to do. If the rules change depending on the day of the week, then things like this happen.

Closing down a ride does not punish Disney, it punishes the child who cannot ride Space Mountain. Disney got its money up front.

I should remind you that the government in the name of safety to its citizens interred all Americans of Japanese decent in California during WWII. The government is not infallible.
    Last edited by JiminyCricketFan; 04-15-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Disneyland spokesperson Suzi Brown calling the closings voluntary according to AP

• Minion

So you think that if Disney does not keep their records as detailed as DOSH wants them that the rides should be shut down? How does that create a safe environment? Was DOSH clear about how they wanted the records? Maybe Disney did all it could to do it they way DOSH wanted but when inspected, a different inspector now wanted it a different way. Where is the appeal process in this? DOSH could easily asked for Disney to clear up its records and not closed any rides.

I should remind you that the government in the name of safety to its citizens interred all Americans of Japanese decent in California during WWII. The government is not infallible.

Apparently Disney doesn't otherwise their attractions wouldn't have been closed. In my company we have internal audits setup for our most critical points of our business. They are checked quarterly against the government regulations. That way when the government comes in and audits us we pass. If we don't pass then there is a huge fire drill to fix it ASAP to avoid bad press. Based on the PDF in this thread they let it sit and now are scrambling to resolve it.

Seems like it would be in the best interest for Disney to evaluate their attractions more closely if they even do it at all. My best guess is they probably have a team that does this but doesn't have the right amount of funds allocated to it which means they can't keep up with the regulations. Always need to make sure the CEO get's his millions while other departments struggle to meet their expectations.

•   
    • Minion

So you think that if Disney does not keep their records as detailed as DOSH wants them that the rides should be shut down? How does that create a safe environment? Was DOSH clear about how they wanted the records? Maybe Disney did all it could to do it they way DOSH wanted but when inspected, a different inspector now wanted it a different way. Where is the appeal process in this? DOSH could easily asked for Disney to clear up its records and not closed any rides. To assume that Disney did nothing for months is really suspect. I am sure that Disney did what it understood it was supposed to do. If the rules change depending on the day of the week, then things like this happen.

Closing down a ride does not punish Disney, it punishes the child who cannot ride Space Mountain. Disney got its money up front.

Nobody's saying the government IS infallible - none of us are. However, ths is apples and oranges.

The fact of the matter in this case is that someone almost lost their life because they didn't have a proper tie-off point on that roof. Climbers and building workers have come onto this thread and said that the way the roof was being cleaned was absolutely dangerous. Someone else almost died while working at Space Mountain when they were hit by a train. In a third incident at Soarin' that was mentioned, someone suffered major broken bones when they fell from an unsecured area.

So what would you like DOSH to do in a case where two workers have suffered life-threatening injuries in less than a year's time? Are they supposed to totally ignore that? Slap Disney on the wrist and say "well, make sure it doesn't happen again?" Shrug and say "well, it's only three people. I'm sure Disney can find workers to replace them?"

Or should they look at the specific issue that caused the accidents to happen, give Disney a specific timeline to fix them, and then sanction them when the repairs are not made? DOSH usually gives very clear reports on what is wrong and what needs to be fixed.

Which of the above scenarios is safer for workers? Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather see a ride closed for a few days, and a child with some disappointment about missing out, than see another child traumatized because his mom or dad died or nearly died while working in unsafe conditions on that ride.

• The one, the only...

I read that too. But it does not make sense. Disney voluntarily closed four attractions the same day. If DOSH says, you have to pay $200,000 a day to keep those attractions open because we have determined that they are not in compliance. If Disney closes them, is that voluntary? Or is that extortion? Why would Disney voluntarily close four attractions the same day, a Saturday? They were not on the refurbish list. Something does not make sense unless Disney was going to be fined if they chose to keep them open.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• Senior Minion

Closing down a ride forces Disney to do what it should have done in the first place: bring the ride up to the worker safety standards that it should have had six months ago when the accident happened.

Sorry, there is zero comparison between the racist war hysteria that was sweeping the country 70 years ago, and today's multi-billion-dollar Disney corporation dragging its feet on worker safety six months after a worker was injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather see a ride closed for a few days, and a child with some disappointment about missing out, than see another child traumatized because his mom or dad died or nearly died while working in unsafe conditions on that ride.
    Well said.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-15-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• The one, the only...

Again there is assuming going on. So DOSH says that all this started from an incident in November. If DOSH really cared, why did they wait until April to follow up? They should have followed up in 30 days to make sure that this was corrected. I don't believe that Disney did not want to correct the issues. They have nothing to gain from that. Anyone who has dealt with government inspectors know that they can vary widely. So I don't believe that everything was as clear as you say. If it was just one ride, I might be inclined to agree that this was oversight, but to have DOSH close the attractions on a Saturday was punitive. Where is the due process? Why could that attractions gone down during the week and affect fewer guests? I never have had a state inspector come out on a Saturday to inspect things. How did they decided to inspect Disneyland on a Saturday? That is very strange and more points to an intend to do as much harm to Disney as possible.

I think that the safety of the workers could have been addressed and not have to close any of the attractions.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• The one, the only...

The assumption that Disney did everything wrong and DOSH did everything right is just hard to believe. There is no question that Disney should have worked earlier with DOSH to make sure that they were in compliance. On the other hand, DOSH did not handle this well. Instead of working with Disney to get these attractions and work areas up to code, they seemed more to react and try to be as punitive as possible.

Disneyland employs a lot of people and is a big revenue producer for the state. A proper approach would be to work with Disneyland to get these things fixed without causing any harm to guests or to Disneyland in general. I really don't believe that Disneyland did nothing or did not have the budgets to get this fixed. The fixes sound like the dispute as to whether the rigging was appropriate or not. Certainly, there might have been room for disagreement. Again, there were ways to correct these problems without this being so hurtful to the guests or park.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I thought Jimminy Cricket was supposed to be on Disney's shoulder, encouraging them to do the right thing.
    That is exactly what I am doing... I never said that the issues should not be addressed to get the attraction safer for the workers. But closing four attractions the same day, on a Saturday, harms both guests and the park in general. It does not get the rides fixed any faster. (Having repairmen come out on a weekend to fix it in a few hours is not reasonable.) Again, why was DOSH waiting for five months to follow-up? Don't they care about the workers? That was only one incident on one attraction, Space Mountain. Why were the other attractions shut down the same day? Some issues sound like relatively minor one such as the records were not kept right. How does closing the attraction fix that? I am just looking out for the kids who were caught in the middle of this. DOSH could have handled this a lot better.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 613141516171819 ... LastLast