Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast

• -

Re: Editors Note: Multiple Disneyland Attractions Closed by DOSH for Safety Reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I may have missed it, but I did not read anywhere in the Citation and Notification of Penalty that DOSH forced Disney to close anything. DOSH proposed fines and required Abatement (meaning - fix it) by a certain date. It was Disney's choice to shut them down. If Disney did not meet the abatement date and continued to operate the attractions, DOSH would have, either gone to court to ask a judge to order their closure, or filed criminal charges against the company and it's executives.

Separately, if a worker was killed by one of these hazards after being notified that they were violating both state and federal regulations (yes, OSHA has similar laws to protect workers) the company and it's executives would face manslaughter, or homicide charges in the death and the lawsuit that they would rightfully lose, would be huge.

Workers safety trumps the inconvenience to all of the guests.

For those that are upset, you should complain to Disney for failing to fix the hazards. The fall occurred in November, FIVE MONTHS AGO. And yet, the incompetent and negligent executives at Disney have still done NOTHING!
    Well said.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Tom Bricker

Re: Editors Note: Multiple Disneyland Attractions Closed by DOSH for Safety Reasons

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    The point is clear. Just because government says that it is going to do an action does not mean that action is warranted. I think it does not ruin my credibility but only makes my point.

The government said that Vietnam war was fought to keep us safe from communism.

Not everything that the government does in the name of safety is right or proper.
    Your point seems like a pretty solid example of Godwin's Law to me. Regardless of the logic and subsequent points you may have made, I think you lost most of us when you compared the harm coming to Disney/children to crimes against humanity.

Perhaps a comparison, if one is needed, that isn't so utterly hyperbolic would be wise.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I may have missed it, but I did not read anywhere in the Citation and Notification of Penalty that DOSH forced Disney to close anything. DOSH proposed fines and required Abatement (meaning - fix it) by a certain date. It was Disney's choice to shut them down. If Disney did not meet the abatement date and continued to operate the attractions, DOSH would have, either gone to court to ask a judge to order their closure, or filed criminal charges against the company and it's executives.

Separately, if a worker was killed by one of these hazards after being notified that they were violating both state and federal regulations (yes, OSHA has similar laws to protect workers) the company and it's executives would face manslaughter, or homicide charges in the death and the lawsuit that they would rightfully lose, would be huge.

Workers safety trumps the inconvenience to all of the guests.

For those that are upset, you should complain to Disney for failing to fix the hazards. The fall occurred in November, FIVE MONTHS AGO. And yet, the incompetent and negligent executives at Disney have still done NOTHING!

If there was a real threat to the safety of guests and CM's they would have shut down the rides on the spot.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    If there was a real threat to the safety of guests and CM's they would have shut down the rides on the spot.
    They didn't in this case. Hence the fines.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• I'm from Canada eh!

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    They didn't in this case. Hence the fines.

But a clear indication that these "safety issues" have been blown out of proportion by the anti-Disney management folks.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    But a clear indication that these "safety issues" have been blown out of proportion by the anti-Disney management folks.
    Let's ask the guy that did the barrel roll down the side of Space Mountain how out of proportion he thinks the safety issues are.

Now April 17, 19-22, 24-25: Soarin’ Over California will operate at reducedcapacity during routine maintenance.

^ so soarin' was supposed to be operating at reduced capacity right now. since the closure, maybe they just decided to get it all done at once now? so maybe that's why it's still closed.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Let's ask the guy that did the barrel roll down the side of Space Mountain how out of proportion he thinks the safety issues are.
    Or you can ask the 1000's of CM's (one of which actually posted here) and 1,000,000's of guests that have managed to do the job or ride the ride over the last 35 years what the safety issues are. And it is really hard for us to say what even happened with worker? I know that in the past I have willfully broken safety protocols that were put into place and perhaps this was the case for this gentleman. In fact, I’m not even aware of any pending lawsuit that should have been noted in this thread and people love to post about them. Ultimately I feel that Disney should be providing every effort to keep their CM’s and Guests safe and if they dropped the ball, they should be held accountable, but I will stop short of saying that Disney willfully endangered lives to turn a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by jayshap View Post
    Now April 17, 19-22, 24-25: Soarin’ Over California will operate at reducedcapacity during routine maintenance.

^ so soarin' was supposed to be operating at reduced capacity right now. since the closure, maybe they just decided to get it all done at once now? so maybe that's why it's still closed.
    So does this mean Soarin will be closed on the 18th and 23rd? confused.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

UPDATED April 19, 2013: Thursday brought good news and bad news for Disneyland's ride closure saga. First the good news; DOSH inspectors arrived at Soarin' on Thursday morning and blessed the temporary fall protection proposals for maintenance workers, and Soarin' should be reopening within days. The bad news; Space Mountain's fixes will take much longer, and April visitors shouldn't count on Space Mountain being open. More bad news, after the DOSH inspectors finished at Soarin' they paid a surprise visit to California Screamin' and demanded to look at several elevated evacuation platforms throughout the track. California Screamin' was shut down suddenly by DOSH at 1:45 P.M. on Thursday afternoon and was kept closed for the rest of Thursday per the inspectors findings. DCA's managers scrambled to rewrite evacuation and maintenance procedures for the big coaster on Thursday night, and then train those new procedures to all CM's for a hopeful reopening on Friday.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 04-19-2013 at 10:49 AM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • White Water Snacker!

To update Dusty's post, I'm at DCA and can confirm that Soarin' is open today... even though it's listed as closed at the security tent.

I'll check Screamin in a little while.

• -

At least when this is all done it will be a much safer working environment for the employees.

•   
    • Minion

At least when this is all done it will be a much safer working environment for the employees.
    Indeed hopefully it will also cause Disney to create a internal audit group or perhaps if they have one already allocate more money to it to prevent this stuff from happening again. I hope this gets sorted out soon. This effects everyone from the workers at the parks to the guests as well.

Glad Soarin' is back and while it will take time to get Space Mountain back at least there is an ETA for when it will be back. Sad to hear about Screamin' hopefully that will be fixed as quickly as Soarin'.

"Let's go in and play hard ball with the new guy."

They could have waited until summer...but they didn't.

Maybe we can ask DOSH to require a tribute to Annette as part of their "all clear."

Arrogance (think Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty or Jaffar from Aladdin) is a bad thing in the Disney universe, at least the two-dimensional one. But Walt himself always had an odd relationship with employees, so that safety issues for them might traditionally be left on the back burner along with mustaches and unions and wages...

Disneyland is an organic, evolving immersive environment and I love how people's passion for it powers this community!
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021 ... LastLast