Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Schwarzkopf High Priest

Re: Editors Note: Multiple Disneyland Attractions Closed by DOSH for Safety Reasons

In a lot of ways, this wasn't completely unexpected, especially in light of previous 'oops' violations that DOSH has handed out. Alice should have served as a warning shot to them, and while I find some of these violations to be rather petty, some seem to be a bit more serious in nature- both to the cast and to the guests.

• Banned User

Re: Editors Note: Multiple Disneyland Attractions Closed by DOSH for Safety Reasons

I see Iger and his incompetent crew have dragged us back to Eisner levels of "quality". What happened to the Walt Disney company of the 30s-early 90s? Is it impossible to get back to that level of quality and care for the parks because of all the layers accountants, MBA's, and wall street guys who only care about making the company (and most importantly themselves) a quick buck.

• Filmmaker

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    What happened to the Walt Disney company of the 30s-early 90s?
    Er– if you're lumping everything from 1930 through 1994 into one category of "the good old days of Disney" I think you need to recheck your Disney history books. The 70s and early-to-mid 80s were not a good time for Disney.

I just hope this gets fixed really fast. Stupid government oversight, stupid business men who can't follow oversight, and now very very very upset guests.

Although I still don't see how a lack of handrails on Space Mountain's roof is reason to close the ride inside...

•   
    • Minion

Wait... Space Mountain has windows?
    Check out my other blog:

Great, just what I need to discover, and when I plan to go sometime in late June. I sure hope everything has been fixed up by then.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    More like Disney dimbulbs dropping the ball. These closures should come as no surprise to Disney. DOSH safety regulations are neither secret nor sudden -- Disney knows as well as DOSH what the rules are. They can't cry foul for not following them.

As for the usual screaming about regulation-Nazis lording it over the poor, honest business people, I call bs. People would scream for real if the amusement park industry wasn't strictly regulated. (Look up the history of why the DOSH hammer dropped on the California amusement park industry back in 2000. Hint: it wasn't because the industry was doing a swell job of keeping things safe!)
    This. OSHA/DOSH is looking out for workers. Since the violations pertain to backstage areas I very much doubt that it will affect anyone's visual perceptions of Space/Splash/etc.

According to the PDF, as mentioned, there were violations that were willful and one that was a repeat. The last inspection (and presumably the warning) was in November. So don't blame OSHA there; blame Disney for not taking corrective action. Harnesses for employees working at heights are considered to be standard practice. Fire extinguisher access is vital to ensure everyone's safety.

It's horrible that all these attractions are closed right now, but Disney should have dealt with this already.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
    Just more proof how out of control and bloated our safety regulations have become. The fact that this was done as a malicious act to force Disney into compliance is ridiculous and uncalled for. The chances of Disney blowing off DOSH to the point they would act in this manner is almost impossible. I sincerely doubt they gave warnings and numerous fines before taking this extreme action, the park wouldn't want to lose the corresponding profit associated with these closures.
    I agree completely.

I've worked in heavy construction for 38 years; I've seen the industry with and without safety regulations.

While I realize there would be some difference between construction and amusement park safety, enforcement is very likely the same. All it takes is one inspector with more power than he can handle to cause a mess like this. I've seen it happen. But shutting down a construction job is nowhere as newsworthy as shutting down major rides at DL.

My guess is that DOSH has cited the violations at some previous time, DL was 'working on' the issues, but some hot-shot at DOSH decided to make a name for himself. And maybe get a promotion.

You can bet that TDC lawyers are busily at work today. Shutting down stuff like this on a Saturday is not exactly standard operating procedure for DOSH, unless there was a serious hazard that developed on that day.

If it can be proved that this shutdown was in any way malicious, DOSH could very well be in serious trouble. I hope it does come down to this; all government safety regulators are in serious need of a severe butt-kicking.

Yes, I know my post is more of a rant than anything else, but I've been a victim of ill-written rigidly enforced safety regulation for a lot of years. If a few of these zealots were sent to prison, maybe the rest of them would concentrate on true safety, not just ramming a bunch of idiotic rules on us.

Oh, those poor people who will be there this weekend...especially the ones who had planned this trip for a really long time. :-(
    EDIT--sorry, did not mean to post this twice! Oops.
    Last edited by DannyeF; 04-13-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Accidentally posted twice

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Wait... Space Mountain has windows?
    Wait? Now I am as confused as you are. Where are the windows?

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    Wait? Now I am as confused as you are. Where are the windows?
    The ones that looked into space mountain from the people mover/rocketrods?

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Wow, crazy.

So there are two scenarios:
    - Disney was told by DOSH some time ago to fix these issues which they have failed to do.
    - DOSH just decided to close 4 major rides with no warning

I'm guessing it's the first scenario. On the plus side, maybe Space Mtn and Soarin' will get a much needed rehab.

We were going to go to the park tomorrow to use our passes one last time (that our kids have only used once) but decided not to. Glad we aren't now. Guess we paid $300 for them to visit once. What an awesome use of $$ ... sigh.
    Look at the dates on the DOSH document that's posted later in this thread; DOSH only finished the inspection Wednesday. How can they fix something they didn't even know was an issue, until three days ago? Most the the issues say ABATED or have 4/22/13 for the Abated date. Two issues have a May 15 date. They have to fix the issues by then but believe me, closing the rides has Disney's undivided attention.

Quote Originally Posted by JM Disneyland View Post
    The ones that looked into space mountain from the people mover/rocketrods?
    Those are the only windows I can think of. Yet they are inside the ride.

Funny though while looking for windows I started looking at pictures of the hand rail to the top of the mountain, looks like a nice staircase to me and not a rickety ladder...

The only real issue here are those associated with the incident when the man fell down Space Mountain, and that hardly seems to be a reason to shut down the roller coaster inside the ride. And why would the Matterhorn and Soarin' be shut down for an incident on Space Mountain? Couldn't the rides be operated in the daytime while night time work is done to bring the handrails up to code?

Yeah, starting to think some DOSH worker got really bored at work the other day...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion0fLife View Post
    Er– if you're lumping everything from 1930 through 1994 into one category of "the good old days of Disney" I think you need to recheck your Disney history books. The 70s and early-to-mid 80s were not a good time for Disney.
    Are you seriously trying to say the parks are better quality now then they were in the 70s/80s??

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    Wow! $234,850.00 in fines is pretty serious. A couple of the violations are labeled as "willful", meaning Disney was notified and chose to do nothing about it. I smell another price increase to offset the cost of construction and fines...
    Actually, being one of OSHAs many victims, the amount of proposed fines is not unusual at all.

Here's an example of a willful violation; on a construction job, a string of temporary lights was a few inches lower than the OSHA standard. The construction company representative who accompanied the OSHA inspector made a comment like 'yeah, I know. I'll get them raised right away.'

This was written up as a willful violation. Only because of the comment made by the company rep. No other reason.

Does this make sense? Of course not, but it's the way OSHA operates. Here's why; a typical minor violation like this would carry a proposed fine of maybe $3000. But if it's a willful violation, the fine is $70,000. Per violation.

If the light string was low in 7 places, the fines could reach a half- million dollars if the inspector was enough of a jerk. And some of them indeed are. As proven by the latest DL fiasco.

The reality here is that the actual amount of fines paid is somewhere around 5 - 25% of the proposed amount.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast