Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Re: Editors Note: Multiple Disneyland Attractions Closed by DOSH for Safety Reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Are you seriously trying to say the parks are better quality now then they were in the 70s/80s??
    I think what Illusion0fLife meant was that Disney as a whole (not necessarily the parks) was in a period of doubt. Everyone was indecisive about what to do, since they all kept thinking "What would Walt have done/said/any past-tense verb at all?" They were all afraid of doing things that Walt would never do.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Re: Editors Note: Multiple Disneyland Attractions Closed by DOSH for Safety Reasons

Disney ticked off someone so that is why they are coming down hard on them. I have seen this before. The guests are the real losers in all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Are you seriously trying to say the parks are better quality now then they were in the 70s/80s??

Well the parks were probably (hard to judge myself though being a 90's child)better quality then. But boy the animation and film departments of that era were horrible. And those horrible years with films nearly affected the parks when the company was nearly broken up and sold piece by piece in the 1980's. While we hate Eisner for his later years the truth is his early years reinvented the animation and film departments, saving Disney and the theme parks as we know it.

Oh, c'mon!!!! Is no one actually bothering to read the whole story???
    The rides were "shut down" due to "safety violations" in the "BACKSTAGE AREAS"!! Because the BACKSTAGE AREAS did NOT have SAFETY HARNESSES for workers in areas that had a drop to floor of 30 INCHES!!!! Yes! 30 INCHES... AS in LESS than 3 feet!!! For most people that's just past the height of your knees! When was the last time that you fell 30 inches and didn't have a "safety harness" and was so seriously hurt that you thought "OMG!!! I wish I had a safety harness!". California is beyond a "nanny -state" when it comes to safety of workers! (BTW, am a total Pro-Union, Worker safety guy, BUT...COME ON!!!! 30 inches from floor to safety rail requires a "safety harness"?????? Jeebus Crabs! Even my 103 year old Grandma walks without a "safety harness" with a distance greater than 30 inches to the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by wigguynyc View Post
    The rides were "shut down" due to "safety violations" in the "BACKSTAGE AREAS"!! Because the BACKSTAGE AREAS did NOT have SAFETY HARNESSES for workers in areas that had a drop to floor of 30 INCHES!!!! Yes! 30 INCHES... AS in LESS than 3 feet!!! For most people that's just past the height of your knees! When was the last time that you fell 30 inches and didn't have a "safety harness" and was so seriously hurt that you thought "OMG!!! I wish I had a safety harness!". California is beyond a "nanny -state" when it comes to safety of workers! (BTW, am a total Pro-Union, Worker safety guy, BUT...COME ON!!!! 30 inches from floor to safety rail requires a "safety harness"?????? Jeebus Crabs! Even my 103 year old Grandma walks without a "safety harness" with a distance greater than 30 inches to the ground!
    Mmm well you can get seriously hurt falling from that height I did.

Tore my quad muscle in my right leg, which had to be stitched back together with titanium, that is now permanment, tore the ACLS & MCLS in both knees, and spent 9 mths in a wheelchair, and two years, yes two years in recovery learning to use my right let again. So, ya, you can be hurt falling from that height depending on how you land. I tripped and fell, so it was not a safety issue at work, this was in a home. However, my point is yes, you can get hurt from falling from that kind of height. I landed badly, in my home, so I could see that happening in a work situation.

As for the closures, I can't say either way if it is DOSH being heavy handed or Disney not protecting it's workers at this point.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    More like Disney dimbulbs dropping the ball. These closures should come as no surprise to Disney. DOSH safety regulations are neither secret nor sudden -- Disney knows as well as DOSH what the rules are. They can't cry foul for not following them.
    None of this really makes much sense, but I am very doubtful that Disney knew what the rules were in regard to whatever has triggered this closure. At this point, I even wonder if Disney did not voluntarily shut the rides down.

When Alice was closed in 2010, Disney made it a point of saying it was a voluntarily closure. Alice would have been grandfathered in, but Disney wanted to make a good effort of following the current law, even when it wasn't necessary.

So here's the question: if that was the current law in 2010, why is Space Mountain only *NOW* considered a violation? When Space Mountain reopened in 2005, it would have lost whatever grandfather status it might have had, but only now are violations serious enough to warrant closure? The idea that Disney knew that the rides were in violation for three years and did absolutely nothing, while also closing Alice in Wonderland when it wasn't necessary is just silly. There is definitely more to this story than the breadcrumbs being offered on the internet.

People would scream for real if the amusement park industry wasn't strictly regulated.
    The theme park industry isn't regulated. Employee safety is though.

• Among mad people

I didn't see anything about needing a safety harness above 30 inches. It mentions handrails for 30 inches, which quite frankly is fine to me. You can twist an ankle with less than that.

This reminds me about something that a friend from south America told me once.

"Many of the safety regulations in the USA seem to be dumbing down people". " If machu Pichu, was in the USA it would be filled with ugly railings so that people don't fall off the mountain" " people would be force to wear safety harness to climb up a pyramid full of safety rails

Makes you wonder if people put down their guard and are less careful because we expect someone else to take care of our safety.

What a bummer. Those were some of my favorite attractions! I hope the closures won't last for long. I feel bad for everyone who was planning on being in the parks. Hope it gets worked out soon!
    I am a Disney Fanatic. I am a long-time Disneyland Annual Passholder and am beginning my journey as a WDW Cast Member this summer! Follow my blog, Lizzie in Disney.

New Post: My DCP Bucket List is all about food, of course!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wigguynyc View Post
    The safety harnesses were not required for the areas 30 inches above the ground. They were required in reference to Space Mountain, a building above 36 feet:

1. Owners of buildings 36 feet or more in height shall have an Operating Procedures Outline Sheet (OPOS)
    where one or more of the following conditions apply to such buildings:
    A. A building does not have established window cleaning system or procedures meeting the requirements
    specified in Articles 5 and 6, or
    B. A building's original window cleaning procedures prepared in accordance with the requirements in Articles
    5 and 6 have been changed because of building modifications, or
    C. A building has extreme architectural features, which require the use of complex rigging or equipment, or a
    building that uses rigging or equipment not covered by these Orders.
    Instance 1
    On and prior to November 21,2012, the building owner, Disneyland Resort, failed to provide the employer, HSG, Inc. written assurance that all their building's (Space Mountain) safety devices and equipment met the provisions of these orders before their use by employees of HSG, Inc to clean the exterior of Space Mountain from boatswain's chairs and controlled descent apparatus (CDA). Reference: Section 3282(p)(1)(A).
    And:

Disneyland Resort failed to correct the unsafe work practice of employees of both Disneyland Resort and HSG Inc. accessing the upper exterior platform of a building (Space Mountain) to change lights, and perform other maintenance tasks without the protection of guardrails or personal fall protection.
    The bit about 30 inches was about requiring guardrails, not harnesses, and was a different violation:

Guardrails shall be provided on all open sides of unenclosed elevated work locations, such as:
    roof openings, open and glazed sides of landings, balconies or porches, platforms, runways, ramps, or working levels more than 30 inches above the floor, ground, or other working areas of a building as defined in Section
    3207 of the General Industry Safety Orders.

Employees of Disneyland Resort and HSG, Inc. accessed the upper
    exterior platform of Space Mountain to perform routine and also non-routine maintenance and were not protected by guardrails or any other type of fall protection.
    Three feet might not seem like that huge a distance, but if you're working near roller coaster tracks and you fall onto them, that can be a huge deal.

Since this seems to be the place to drop two cents into the debate, I'll go ahead and jump in. Assuming that the pdf submitted by simaand is legit, and it appears to be, then OSHA is dropping the hammer. The incident with the cleaning company (HSG?) back in November probably triggered this inspection, especially considering the start date of the inspection period listed on the first page is 11/28.

On all of the general instances listed, Disney has until 5/15 to correct the violations, but on the willful serious violations, they have until 4/22. Some other members have already chimed in with their interactions with OSHA, and it sounds like they can be dicks, for lack of a better word. Having no inside knowledge whatsoever, my best guess would be that OSHA began inspecting Space Mountain after the November incident and became upset that Disney has done nothing to correct whatever caused the incident in the first place. Another incident took place earlier on October 3rd where another crew member fell onto the ride track and was struck by a ride vehicle. Ever since those two accidents, OSHA began working their way through the park, and in an effort to get Disney to make a move on repairs, they closed three of their major attractions. On a side note, I was under the impression the Matterhorn was going to be closed this week for "testing" anyways.

To wrap this up, I would make a compassionate plea to save the torch and pitchforks for a little while. Let us remember that two people were seriously injured working on Space Mountain, and that they may both still be recovering from their injuries. I would much rather sacrifice my 345'th trip on Space in order to ensure no one is hurt maintaining the attractions we so dearly love.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    None of this really makes much sense, but I am very doubtful that Disney knew what the rules were in regard to whatever has triggered this closure.
    There is zero excuse for a billion-dollar corporation that's been running theme parks for 58 years not to be up to date on all federal, state and local regulations associated with their business, and to ensure that they're in compliance.

One way or another, Disney screwed this one up themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ewokrights View Post
    Let us remember that two people were seriously injured working on Space Mountain, and that they may both still be recovering from their injuries. I would much rather sacrifice my 345'th trip on Space in order to ensure no one is hurt maintaining the attractions we so dearly love.
    Very well said.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

To wrap this up, I would make a compassionate plea to save the torch and pitchforks for a little while. Let us remember that two people were seriously injured working on Space Mountain, and that they may both still be recovering from their injuries. I would much rather sacrifice my 345'th trip on Space in order to ensure no one is hurt maintaining the attractions we so dearly love.
    Me, too. I do hope, however, that everything is fixed by late June, because I plan to go then.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

I sure hope the fines don't increase ticket prices

•   
    • Minion

THIS. ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    So here's the question: if that was the current law in 2010, why is Space Mountain only *NOW* considered a violation? When Space Mountain reopened in 2005, it would have lost whatever grandfather status it might have had, but only now are violations serious enough to warrant closure? The idea that Disney knew that the rides were in violation for three years and did absolutely nothing, while also closing Alice in Wonderland when it wasn't necessary is just silly. There is definitely more to this story than the breadcrumbs being offered on the internet.

The theme park industry isn't regulated. Employee safety is though.
    As mentioned above, I would imagine that the accident in 2012, in which a worker fell from Space Mountain, might have prompted them to take another look. One of the violations cited is specifically in regards to the accident.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast