Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• revolutionary waltz

Re: Where'd Five & Dime's Books and Jersey Go? (Pics Taken on 4/14/13)

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    An interesting window display ( and Disney knows how to do these based on past performance ) is one that has stuff that attracts the passerby's attention and then features products as well. Only a fool (ahem, marketing people) believe the products sell themselves. "We'll just stick iPhone cases in the windows! These things practically sell themselves!!"

Well,... No. No they don't. An interesting display with a section of track and a trolley brings people over to look at the window in the first place and THEN they see the merchandise. Department stores of the 20's and 30's understood this and were famous for the creativity of their window displays. They served an essential purpose. Today's uncreative ilk just displays merchandise and assumes all will go well.
    This, this, this. It's amazing how the marketing team doesn't seem to understand exactly why window displays once were such a big thing (and still are, to some extent). It's a first impression or, in some instances, a destination. It's something to make you want to draw closer. I remember when they used to change the movie dioramas out for each new movie coming out. I would be so excited to see it everytime I was on Main Street.

I personally don't have a problem with the integration of merchandise into these displays (I'd have killed for a copy of the Little Mermaid with the custom cover), but the displays they have now look ridiculously cluttered or flat out poorly done (the Big Top Toys one).

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Actually if there are a bunch of antiques in the window and the store, I might go in there to look around. If it looks like a Walmart, I'm just going to keep on walking, because I don't go to the parks with the intent to buy anything. Something has to catch my eye and be unique and original, and most likely relate directly to the parks and not to Disney characters for me to make a purchase. Or it has to be an object like a mug that is useful for something. I especially like 'retro' designs.

I'm with you. I want unique. Different. A reason to go into "this" store as opposed to "that" one. If I can get everything at World of Disney, why would I go into any of the other shops if they're boring? If it's all just the same stuff?

Over Christmas, the shops on the Atwater side of Buena Vista Street had candy streamer decorations all over the place. Things were different and cute and pretty. And I went into them. To see what they'd done. I photograph everything, and while I'm in there things catch my eye that I would be interested in buying. But the "interesting" things need to be there, or I won't go in. Merch isn't a big draw for me, though I do buy things now and then.

I love love love the decor that a lot of the shops have, even when it's up high where people don't normally look. It's still there, for those of us who do look. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Actually if there are a bunch of antiques in the window and the store, I might go in there to look around. If it looks like a Walmart, I'm just going to keep on walking, because I don't go to the parks with the intent to buy anything. Something has to catch my eye and be unique and original, and most likely relate directly to the parks and not to Disney characters for me to make a purchase. Or it has to be an object like a mug that is useful for something. I especially like 'retro' designs.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12