Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Supreme Court decision on Segway lawsuit

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    And this may be a dumb question, but if you can't sit down due to your disability, how would you ride any attractions? And if its that you can't sit for long periods of time, why not use a EVC just while you move from place to place and stand up once you reach a destination?
    Stop being so rational.

Of course, this was never about a "disability" that prevented people from sitting down. It was all about personal preference and desires, not physical needs.

If someone couldn't sit on an ECV to ride from Haunted Mansion to Space Mountain, they never could have gotten to Disneyland in the first place because any car or bus or train or plane ride would have been 100 times longer than the ECV trip from Adventureland to Tomorrowland. The Segway case was just selfish people being selfish, and tying up the courts to try and get their way. Good thing they lost.

•   
    • Minion

In terms of the ECVs - some people really do need them and it is the only way they are going to be able to access the park. I brought my Mom to Disneyland in February. She's a disabled veteran with some mobility issues caused by illness. She would have been ashamed to use a wheelchair or have a stranger push her in a chair - and in fact was very self-conscious about using an ECV. However, it was the only way she was going to see the park.

Disneyland was the favorite part of her trip and she never would have been there without an ECV. If there are those who don't use them responsibly - well, I've been run over by more strollers than wheelchairs or ECVs.

• Hooterville, USA

What did people do before they invented ecvs and segways?

Oh yeah, wheelchairs.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    What did people do before they invented ecvs and segways?

Oh yeah, wheelchairs.
    Before that they limped or crawled on the streets. How far back do you want to set the "Wayback Machine?"

Or maybe we could all try to live in 2013.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Of course, this was never about a "disability" that prevented people from sitting down. It was all about personal preference and desires, not physical needs.
    Please point me to a link to filing documents or testimony that illustrates this.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    If someone couldn't sit on an ECV to ride from Haunted Mansion to Space Mountain, they never could have gotten to Disneyland in the first place because any car or bus or train or plane ride would have been 100 times longer than the ECV trip from Adventureland to Tomorrowland.
    Not true. No one said that they were in a sitting up position in a car on the way to Disneyland. They could have had the seat all the way reclined, or in the case of a bench seat been laying down. Seats in all the transportation media that you listed are much more adjustable than seats on ECV’s or wheel chairs. It all depends on the type of injury and the amount of pressure that can be placed on the spine or other parts of the body.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Not true. No one said that they were in a sitting up position in a car on the way to Disneyland. They could have had the seat all the way reclined, or in the case of a bench seat been laying down. Seats in all the transportation media that you listed are much more adjustable than seats on ECV’s or wheel chairs. It all depends on the type of injury and the amount of pressure that can be placed on the spine or other parts of the body.
    After several back and leg surgeries arising from a severe injury, if my dad has to walk more than about a mile or two, he's in crippling pain for the two or three days that follow. Similarly, sitting for more than about 30 minutes straight gives him severe lower back pain, and getting up and down and up and down is hard on him, too. For a day at Disneyland, a Segway would certainly be vastly superior for him than an ECV or just walking around, which are his two current options. As it is, when he does go to Disneyland, he usually has to limit his time to no more than an hour or two, and only a couple of rides or attractions.
    Fight On! Beat the Utes!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Why are SEGWAYS being singled out? Because non disabled people would use them for fun?

• The Tomorrowland One

Wasn't part of the original case to develope a means of getting around while standing? It was like an ECV except you have a longer steering column and no seat.

Should there be accommodations to allow guests who must remain standing due to a disability? Yes. Need that accommodation be a Segway? No, I don't think so.

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    Wasn't part of the original case to develope a means of getting around while standing? It was like an ECV except you have a longer steering column and no seat.
    And low and behold, apparently as of May 2nd, there are ESVs (Electric Standing Vehicles) available for rent at the US Disney Resorts. Same rental fees as the ECVs. Just looks like they aren't advertising the availability.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

What are ESVs?

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    What are ESVs?
    Electronic standing vehicles

Google
    There are multiple links-

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    Electronic standing vehicles

Google
    There are multiple links-
    Oh, thanks. You really added to the conversation there. I was addressing the poster who brought them up. Perhaps someone who has actual information about ESVs that aren't Segways can tell us more about what they are.

• The Tomorrowland One

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    What are ESVs?
    ESVs (Electric Standing Vehicles)
    It was like an ECV except you have a longer steering column and no seat.
    There ya go. It was already in the topic.

And since you apparently want it all looked up for you...

This company, ScooterBug, supplies ECVs/ESVs that look somewhat like what Disney will be providing. The ESV is the one right after the standard ECV. It is the 4th one down FYI.

Or...

Name:  5yc15.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  190.5 KB

And current rules about the rental of said ESVs...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment @ DisBoards
    1. At the current time they can only be reserved in advanced.

2. They will not allow a person to rent one unless they currently use a Segway or similar vehicle. (I was not allowed to ride one as I do not use a Segway or other standing conveyance.)

3. The only exception to #1 is if a person shows up at the park with a personal Segway (or similar) they will be allowed to rent an ESV if one is available.

4. The entire base and control systems are the same as the current Disney ECV. The only differences are is the backrest instead of a seat and the tiller is taller. The weight and maximum speed are about the same.

5. Steering is the same; the two front wheels are steered by the tiller and the switches/levers are the same.

6. One major difference is the weight limit is only 260 pounds, compared to the 450 for the ECV. This is due to the weight being on the platform, which is the weakest area, as opposed to being on the motor assembly.

7. The rental rules may be subject to change.
    Source - Mods, feel free to remove the quote block/link if it violates any said rules I can't think of at this moment.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Thanks, this seems more efficient than asking each of us to google it ourselves, no?

• Chief Troublemaker

There ya go. It was already in the topic.

And since you apparently want it all looked up for you...

This company, ScooterBug, supplies ECVs/ESVs that look somewhat like what Disney will be providing. The ESV is the one right after the standard ECV. It is the 4th one down FYI.

Or...

Name:  5yc15.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  190.5 KB

And current rules about the rental of said ESVs...

Source - Mods, feel free to remove the quote block/link if it violates any said rules I can't think of at this moment.

Thank you for posting the picture & especially the quote from the person on Disboards. It's good to hear from someone who apparently tried to rent one a either DL or WDW.

Interesting about the Segway usage rule. That rule makes sense, but I assume that it's also on the 'honor system' meaning that if a person says they use a Segway, Disney will take their word for it.

It will be interesting to see how much usage these ESVs get.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast