Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Supreme Court decision on Segway lawsuit

Thought this might be of interest. Looks like no Segways at DL nor at WDW

Supreme Court Ends Attempt to Force Segway Use at Walt Disney World | DIS Blog
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• former CM

Re: Supreme Court decision on Segway lawsuit

Thanks, Stormy! Interesting.

I do think Segways are inappropriate at theme parks. They're too crowded, and the Segways kind of want to run. They don't do stop-and-crawl terribly well. They're great when you have some space, but not in crowded areas. It's possible but I think it would be obnoxious and dangerous when you run into or over someone.

I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Doesn't it take up about 1/2 the room as one of the green motor scooters they rent out? Isn't it about the size of a stroller? So if your disability requires you to stay standing, but you can't walk long distances, you're out of luck.

And that article was all legal mumbo jumbo, what was the jist of it?

I am glad to see that they won't be allowed. I know it may sound insensitive but I would like to see the electric scooters go away as well. I just think you're asking for an injury when you have a heavy motorized vehicle operating in a place with heavy crowds and lots of little ones. (I personally have had my ankles knocked(Ouch!) Such high ticket prices should allow for the the parks to provide a wheelchair and employee chaperone for those guests that have mobility issues.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Doesn't it take up about 1/2 the room as one of the green motor scooters they rent out? Isn't it about the size of a stroller? So if your disability requires you to stay standing, but you can't walk long distances, you're out of luck.

And that article was all legal mumbo jumbo, what was the jist of it?

The jist is (and I am not a lawyer) was that the appeal to the original lawsuit settlement was filed NOT on the actual issues of 'can Segways be used at WDW' but rather was 'due process of law' followed in that people not actually part of the class action lawsuit (but who may be 'interested parties') were not adequately notified of the suit. In other words, on a 'technicality'. At the appellate level the plaintiff in the case said that Disney did not notify the 'other interested parties' in compliance with the law. Disney said that the legal standard of notification had been met.

All the Supreme Court did was refuse to review the previously approved settlement linked here:

Federal Appeals Court Upholds Disney's Ban on Segways - Disney News

When the Supreme Court refuses to hear a case, it means that case is 'dead' and there are no further appeals.

This doesn't necessarily mean the end of any Segway lawsuits, just suits against WDW based on any issues contested in the original lawsuit. I guess someone could file another lawsuit if they were filing on different grounds. And it doesn't necessarily 'kill' the Disneyland Segway lawsuit, but could do so if the issues were the same as the WDW suit.

Again, this is my interpretation. Maybe we have an attorney on MC who can correct me if I'm wrong, or further illuminate us?
    Last edited by Stormy; 04-15-2013 at 09:53 AM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I think its just too crowded to safely be able to use those things, especially given the speeds they can get up to.

And this may be a dumb question, but if you can't sit down due to your disability, how would you ride any attractions? And if its that you can't sit for long periods of time, why not use a EVC just while you move from place to place and stand up once you reach a destination?
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    And this may be a dumb question, but if you can't sit down due to your disability, how would you ride any attractions? And if its that you can't sit for long periods of time, why not use a EVC just while you move from place to place and stand up once you reach a destination?
    This may be an even dumber question, but if Disney can ban bicycles, surely there's no question, dumb or not, that they could ban Segways, dog sleds, etc...

Between the oversized strollers and the motorized chairs, is there any room left for healthy people who actually walk?

Not that I would deny access to anything for people who truly need help, and there's plenty to see and do at the park even if one can't handle thrill rides.

I read somewhere that Small World had to be re-tooled to accommodate plus-size guests, and that the submarines were having issues as well...
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Not all visitors' disabilities are the same. Not all visitors' use of the parks are the same. Some might want to attend with their family. Others may want to come to meet friends for dinner.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by cruise View Post
    Well, you answered your first question with your second one. As to your second question, using an ECV to get from place to place would be extended sitting, as it does sometimes take a while to traverse the park. Even if it is just short distances, it may be more sitting than the person is able to tolerate during the day and they are thus reserving the small amount that they can tolerate for rides.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    This may be an even dumber question, but if Disney can ban bicycles, surely there's no question, dumb or not, that they could ban Segways, dog sleds, etc...
    Surely there is a question about whether and to what extent they can deny accommodating a personal craft that enables a person with a disability to get around. Dog sleds, stupid, yes. Segways? Not at all necessarily stupid to question that.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by Motorboat Cruiser View Post
    Did you also call out Anthony Hopkins for not being a cannibal in real life?
    This device kills fascists.

I don't think Segways are stupid, but I do think they're inappropriate for a theme park. It's too crowded, and the Segways are a bit clumsy in stop-and-crawl mode. Not that you couldn't do it, but it's awkward. They do better in places they can open up and go.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    I don't think Segways are stupid, but I do think they're inappropriate for a theme park. It's too crowded, and the Segways are a bit clumsy in stop-and-crawl mode. Not that you couldn't do it, but it's awkward. They do better in places they can open up and go.
    Also, more than slightly hazardous to every other guest in the park.

I actually have trouble believing that anyone would be self-centered enough to even consider bringing a Segway into a crowded park. I know I certainly wouldn't.

​Yeah, I don't even want to think about how many feet you'd run over.

Quote Originally Posted by RosevilleDisfan View Post
    I am glad to see that they won't be allowed. I know it may sound insensitive but I would like to see the electric scooters go away as well. I just think you're asking for an injury when you have a heavy motorized vehicle operating in a place with heavy crowds and lots of little ones. (I personally have had my ankles knocked(Ouch!) Such high ticket prices should allow for the the parks to provide a wheelchair and employee chaperone for those guests that have mobility issues.
    I think you are right. I can see where guests with mobility issues would complain but, there needs to be some control... I see too many traveling too fast for safety or seeming to not know how to control them... I'm surprised there have not been injuries. They also have a habit of parking in an access, blocking walkways. I've seen them texting as they roll.... eeek....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast