Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Are the rides open?

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    A worker stood on the "not a step" step on a ladder, fell, and caused a stink. So Disney has to install some quick idiot proofing and spend days officially training employees so they can't claim ignorance.
    ...I'm just sharing what I've heard from a few unrelated sources who deal in the more technical/ maintenance side of DL. You don't have to believe it, that's fine.
    I totally believe it. Trivializing a workplace injury as caused by an ignorant employee who "stood on the 'not a step' step on the ladder, fell, and caused a stink," and that the solution is "to install some quick idiot proofing," is pure Disney management-'tude.

Demonstrated in many ways, blatant and subtle, by management, management wannabes and rank-and-file sycophants, the disdain that Disney has for its theme park employees has been evident since the advent of Eisner.

Only what I've heard from a few different inside people.
    Also completely believable. The more inside Disney one gets, the more obvious the disdain they demonstrate for their employees.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-17-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Before this thread gets off topic, can we just go back to talking about updates on when the rides will open? I really couldn't care less what caused them to be closed, but I care a lot about knowing if and when they re-open and having another thread locked will not help that.
    My signature is NOT larger than my post, nor should yours be!

This is my first time posting on the board so please forgive me if I'm not up to date. I'm a little confused because of the recent increase in ride closures for the dates we are coming and the new "(pending)" addition. We will be there next week on tues, 23rd/ / wed. 24th. and the website says big thunder, Space mountain (pending), soarin over CA (pending). A) I will be so bummed if all 3 of those rides are closed plus no fireworks or Fantasmic and B) has anyone seen this "(pending)" status before?

This is our kid's first trip to disney and my husband and my 1st trip since we were young kids (space mountain had only been open a year or two). Does this kind of thing happen often?? how do people usually react to it?

Quote Originally Posted by lnsemsf View Post
    Before this thread gets off topic, can we just go back to talking about updates on when the rides will open? I really couldn't care less what caused them to be closed, but I care a lot about knowing if and when they re-open and having another thread locked will not help that.
    This. Please keep it to rides re-opening, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jilliene Isaacs View Post
    This is my first time posting on the board so please forgive me if I'm not up to date. I'm a little confused because of the recent increase in ride closures for the dates we are coming and the new "(pending)" addition. We will be there next week on tues, 23rd/ / wed. 24th. and the website says big thunder, Space mountain (pending), soarin over CA (pending). A) I will be so bummed if all 3 of those rides are closed plus no fireworks or Fantasmic and B) has anyone seen this "(pending)" status before?

This is our kid's first trip to disney and my husband and my 1st trip since we were young kids (space mountain had only been open a year or two). Does this kind of thing happen often?? how do people usually react to it?
    Space mountain and Soarin are temporarily closed to do some safety upgrades. It will be open on or before the 25th, so they may open while you are there.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Jillene, Welcome. This is an unusual situation, and Disneyland is being deliberately coy and tight-lipped as to exactly what is going on - that's why the (pending) status. They don't even know what's going to happen next till it actually happens.

There are safety concerns Backstage where the ride mechanics can't get to all areas and do the nightly safety checks of the trains and tracks, they can't open the ride till that's taken care of. These are places that Guests never go, but the Cast Members do. Judging from the DOSH reports, they have to cordon off and add railings at certain places with a fall hazard.

And they have to add 'access gates' to certain ladders so people don't fall through the openings - kind of like the "Baby Gates" you put at the top of the stairs at your house. You have to deliberately pull the gate open before descending the ladder.

When they get that fixed they'll call Cal-DOSH for a inspection and permission to open - and they'll probably call in the mechanics for that night.

If the ride passes inspection it'll take them a day to get the ride safety inspections all done and call in the CM's to run it the next day. If the running test goes OK in the morning, they might "Soft Open" in the afternoon unannounced, and the Disneyland Website will announce it's officially back the following day.
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Don't know if this is related to DOSH issues but just got to the parks and Peter Pan was listed as unavailable today... It wasn't on the refurb schedule was it?

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    Space mountain and Soarin are temporarily closed to do some safety upgrades. It will be open on or before the 25th, so they may open while you are there.
    I reiterate: here's hoping that it's true.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Disneyland > Disney World

In today's In The Parks Soarin' is back up and running but now Screamin' is closed due to OSHA. :P One ride after another
    Marvel + Disney =

I don't want anyone to get hurt, but don't the workers know the risk and sign up for the job? At what point do they stop adding safety features? Will they do away with Fantasmic because someone might get burned by pyro or fall off one of the boats?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    I don't want anyone to get hurt, but don't the workers know the risk and sign up for the job?
    So should the auto industry not have been forced to add seatbelts to cars because people knew the risk of driving them without one?

The "assumption of risk" defense is not applicable in all situations. One of these where it is not applicable is worker safety. An employer is strictly liable for the safety of its workers under normal working conditions. Therefore, if someone would accidentally fall because there was no safety railing to arrest that fall, Disney would be liable. It is smart business for them to install this stuff and shame on them for not doing it sooner.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

California Screamin' is back up. As of right now, Space Mtn. is the only ride still closed.

Driving in a car, or taking a ride is different. I assume this is safe. Doing work high on a roller coaster or building has risk. Its a risky job. They should have safety lines but all he railing is obnoxious. I am just talking about stuff that takes away from the experience such as he railing on Alice in Wonderland, or the railing at the launch of Screaming. Making a building up to code is one thing, but it seems a bit excessive on rides. Maybe the can come up with a less solution less invasive to the visual experience.

Driving in a car, or taking a ride is different. I assume this is safe. Doing work high on a roller coaster or building has risk. Its a risky job. They should have safety lines but all he railing is obnoxious. I am just talking about stuff that takes away from the experience such as he railing on Alice in Wonderland, or the railing at the launch of Screaming. Making a building up to code is one thing, but it seems a bit excessive on rides. Maybe the can come up with a less solution less invasive to the visual experience.
    Maybe it's just me, but what does this conversation have to do with the rides being open? The entire reason this thread was created was to avoid conversations like this one.

• -

The way Alice looks is all Disney. DOSH had nothing to do with that. The department just says that they have to have safety precautions. It's up to Disney to implement something that is aesthetically pleasing.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but what does this conversation have to do with the rides being open? The entire reason this thread was created was to avoid conversations like this one.
    Thank you! I agree. This thread is not about OSHA's policies. Let's just keep it on topic... Updating information about ride closures. Are they open or not.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast