Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: You know what I just realized? DCA still sucks

I do agree with you in a way. DCA is not on the same level as Disneyland. But, I do enjoy going there. It's got a different atmosphere and is a nice change IMO. It does need some changes here and there, but I'm looking at it with "a work in progress" point of view.

• 2 shots on the rocks.

Paradise Pier is where it falls apart. No matter how much paint and flowers you add, it's still lipstick on a pig. And those platforms for WoC that never seem to be submerged during the day? Who's idea was that? They look like oil rigs....nasty. I really prefer the clean look of the Bellagio fountains in Las Vegas.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Krillinish View Post
    If you want good rides, there are better amusement parks for that. But DCA and Disney parks are theme parks. DCA might not be what you're looking for.
    Fair enough

You didn't mention World of Color, which was a major part of the park re-opening, so rides seem to be your priority. I'm guessing Epcot does not interest you either.
    How can you say that? I love Epcot, I am not a fan of World of Color. I think it's a major letdown compared to Fantasmic! It's too much of an info mercial; it's not got heart; there's no live actor component; there's no boats or floats or movement; it's just projections on water (which Fantasmic! does better). What's that got to do with Epcot?

Personally, I'm the type of park-goer that can find enjoyment on a ride even like Heimlich's Chew Chew Train, but I also enjoy a Six Flags park also. I just know what I'm in for when I go to a park and enjoy it for what it is, not what I want it to be.
    Funny you should say that. Heimlich's Chew Chew Train may be the WORST Disney attraction EVER.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I hate to say it, but after spending a billion dollars, it looks to me like DCA still has a long way to go.
    Do you have any suggestions for the next billion dollars? I agree it needs Phase II and it hasn't gone far enough.

I always have a nice time at DCA.

As a family, we always hit TSMM, RSR, GRR, Goofy, Ariel, WOC, a good lunch, and then we may split up for some of us to ride TOT, Soarin, Screamin, SSS, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Disney Jr, King Triton, etc.

I have no complaints.

I also love that the walkways aren't nearly as cramped as they are at DL.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I think it need a Phase 2, 3, 4, and 5!
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• Blew By You

I think your last sentence said it well: It has a long way to go. But now, it's going. Now that's there's substance to the theming and feel to be at DCA, it'll take many years for that "magical" feel to happen, maybe a generation. Maybe never. It's given a chance to mature with its transformation, so let it some time.

• Unhelpful User

I'm a big fan of Disneyland, and of course like most people I was very dissapointent with DCA when it opened. After having been to the new DCA five or six times now, I've realized that while they certainly made the park look a lot better, it's still not really a park that I want to visit. Soarin, Tower, and California Screamin are still the best rides there. The new Cars Land really looks great, but it only has three rides, and two of them are crap. Racers is pretty good, but at the end of the day it's just a shortened Test Track, and not worth waiting more than 45 minutes or so for. I know that DCA has been extremely popular since Cars Land opened, but I wonder if after a couple of years, if it the crowds will gradually start to go back to spending the majority of their time at Disneyland. When I go, I'm interested in going on Soarin, California Screamin, and Tower, and then head back over to Disneyland. If you look at the park has a whole, Paradise Pier overall is still pretty terrible. Screamin is awesome, and Toy Story Mania rocks, but otherwise it's still just the OC Fair without the deep fried twinkies. Hollywood Land still sucks too. The only ride worth going on is Tower, and while the evening dance parties are kind of fun, the Alice in Wonderland band is not that much better then the random bands they usually have at the Tomorrowland Terrace. They new DCA looks beautiful, and it took me a few visits before I realized that at the end of the day, the only thing I want to go back to is Racers, and only if the line is short enough. I hate to say it, but after spending a billion dollars, it looks to me like DCA still has a long way to go.
    DCA Needs one more Land so it can become a full day park ,if it means getting rid of Bugs land and using the timon lot they have available to make a new land or extending the park in the now simba lot and for example creating a Star Wars land there then DCA would become a full day park , one of the many reasons we love Disneyland Park is partly because we can spend there the whole day there and that's all DCA needs!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by doppio View Post
    Paradise Pier is where it falls apart. No matter how much paint and flowers you add, it's still lipstick on a pig. And those platforms for WoC that never seem to be submerged during the day? Who's idea was that? They look like oil rigs....nasty. I really prefer the clean look of the Bellagio fountains in Las Vegas.
    Just go for a drive on PCH in Huntington Beach. This is probably the most California-themed section of the park!

Anyway I love the changes that have been made and do enjoy going to the park, but if Disney decided to turn it back into a parking lot I would be the first one to applaud this decision. I really do think they never should have built a second park no matter how good it is. And I am hoping that the third gate never comes.

Just my opinions, folks...

• Circle of Ancients

I actually liked DCA from day one. Was it a full-day park? Not hardly. But it did have some good rides and tried to be "different".

Plus you could sit at the Cove Bar, have a drink, ride Screamin, drink, Screamin, drink, Screamin' all day and have a fine time!!! Now the lines are too long.

As for Cars Land, I'm just not a fan. RSR is actually my LEAST favorite ride in the land.

• Minion

I still don't understand the hate for Luigi's Flying Tires and for Mater's Junkyard Jamboree. Two of my favorite flat-rides right there.

I'd argue that DCA is definitely a full-day park, especially for someone who might be travelling from the East Coast, more so for a guest totally new to the Disney experience. You've got tons of shows and enough rides and other attractions (Wilderness Explorers, as well as getting the "feel" for the immersive lands) to last several hours. If the only definition of "full-day" is open to close, then you'd be hard-pressed to say any Disney park is like that, including the original.

Agree totally with you. DCA is a poor relation to its brother across the esplanade.

Paradise Pier is a cheap nasty place and always will be - why theme a land to an amusement park for anything other than saving money on cheap off the shelf rides.

Most of the rest of the park is based on clones or copies of other rides with different themes or off the shelf stuff with a few props to tart it up.

Even the entrance is a direct rip off from DHS (yes I know it's based on an old LA landmark but its till not original).

Its better than it was & is way better than WDS in Paris but is still no where near what it could have been.

• Goofy

from my fiancial view dca is still not worth the price to visit for the whole day at all.despite those good rides i still end up feeling bored with the place. its only worth it if you have a park hopper or annual pass. but a whole day no way jose.

This is a common rant I hear, but it leaves out a large part of why many of us love Disneyland, which cannot be quantified in a pure ride experience. Disneyland and DCA are so much more than the sum of their rides. Cars Land isn't awesome because of RSR, nor does it suck because of Mater or Luigi. Hell, the rides are secondary! It's the immersive environments, and the stories that are being told, that make these parks great. In my opinion, focusing on just the rides misses the whole point of either park experience.

I'm a big fan of Disneyland, and of course like most people I was very dissapointent with DCA when it opened. After having been to the new DCA five or six times now, I've realized that while they certainly made the park look a lot better, it's still not really a park that I want to visit. Soarin, Tower, and California Screamin are still the best rides there. The new Cars Land really looks great, but it only has three rides, and two of them are crap. Racers is pretty good, but at the end of the day it's just a shortened Test Track, and not worth waiting more than 45 minutes or so for. I know that DCA has been extremely popular since Cars Land opened, but I wonder if after a couple of years, if it the crowds will gradually start to go back to spending the majority of their time at Disneyland. When I go, I'm interested in going on Soarin, California Screamin, and Tower, and then head back over to Disneyland. If you look at the park has a whole, Paradise Pier overall is still pretty terrible. Screamin is awesome, and Toy Story Mania rocks, but otherwise it's still just the OC Fair without the deep fried twinkies. Hollywood Land still sucks too. The only ride worth going on is Tower, and while the evening dance parties are kind of fun, the Alice in Wonderland band is not that much better then the random bands they usually have at the Tomorrowland Terrace. They new DCA looks beautiful, and it took me a few visits before I realized that at the end of the day, the only thing I want to go back to is Racers, and only if the line is short enough. I hate to say it, but after spending a billion dollars, it looks to me like DCA still has a long way to go.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• The doctor is in

DCA may still not be great but it is certainly better than it used to be. When I went in 2008 I joined the crowd of many who said it was a lousy park and I meant it. I actually enjoy walking around DCA these days. There is a lot more to do, it has great food, and World of Color is a decent nighttime show.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast