Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: You know what I just realized? DCA still sucks

For me I can't really agree with the OP. Saying something sucks would probably need to have something to compare it to. Going into DCA the first year it opened I knew not to expect Disneyland since it was a completely different park. Well after my first visit I knew it wasn't a good park but I didn't think it sucked back then so now that it's been tweaked I find it very enjoyable. Out of the options in Southern California I would place it as my second favorite with DL being first. Nothing else in SO CAl/SD would I rather go to than DCA. So I guess compared to DL for me yeah it does suck but over everything else in my opinion not even close.

• Disneyland Dreamer

While DCA has its shortcomings (The hollywoodland area, and the fisherman's wharf whatever), I am SOOO looking forward to seeing the new Buena Vista remake, and trying to poke my head into 1901. That is the perfect compliment to mainstreet across the way IMHO. The Pixar stuff... kids enjoy it. I love the redwoods area, GRR, RCC, etc.

Overall, Its a fun park to me.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    For me I can't really agree with the OP. Saying something sucks would probably need to have something to compare it to. Going into DCA the first year it opened I knew not to expect Disneyland since it was a completely different park. Well after my first visit I knew it wasn't a good park but I didn't think it sucked back then so now that it's been tweaked I find it very enjoyable. Out of the options in Southern California I would place it as my second favorite with DL being first. Nothing else in SO CAl/SD would I rather go to than DCA. So I guess compared to DL for me yeah it does suck but over everything else in my opinion not even close.
    What the OP means in this thread is he probably wants DCA Phase 2 get started sooner rather than later!

quick note in 2012 DCA got 11 Millions guests so they're are going in the right direction.

For me, and I've been a couple times...I enjoyed the novelty of it the first time when I was in high school, and when I went back I took one of friends with me who hadn't returned to the Disney parks since he was 10 or 11, and convincing him, scared as he was to try Tower of Terror and him wanting to go back on 5 or 6 more times was awesome. Not to mention, it was nice to be there as an adult and have a Port flight while waiting for the Aladdin show I probably wouldn't go back though unless I had someone else joining the trip who hasn't been back to Disney in a long time.

• No Disassemble!

DCA has grown on me a lot since the completion of the phase one makeover. If you go there expecting a theme park then DCA exceeds all expectations for quality, cleanliness, and overall experience. If you go there expecting a Disney park then it disappoints in some respects. I've stuck with DCA (through the bad and good) since opening day and I honestly believe that it is just a couple of changes away from becoming the perfect theme park.

Also, DCA couldn't suck any more than it did when Superstar Limo was around.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

IMHO, DCA used to suck. It's a whole lot better now than it was when it opened. I could, and have, actually spent a whole day there.

There's a few loose ends that need to be tied up, like Hollywoodland and the backlot. That whole area just seems like an afterthought. Then again, so do several areas in Tomorrowland at the moment.

• revolutionary waltz

I don't think DCA is awful. I've been to far less entertaining parks and just because it doesn't hold up to Disneyland (a tough feat), doesn't mean that it automatically "sucks". Is it as good of a deal as Disneyland? No. I would choose Disneyland over it almost any day. However, I do think there's been massive improvement since its inception (with hopefully more in the future) and I enjoy my time spent there. That's really enough for me, but perhaps I'm just easy to please.

• Former Churro Jockey

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Paradise Pier is really the biggest weakness at DCA right now. Hollywood land isn't that great, but it at least has a semi-fun dark ride, a really good show, and of course, Tower. I think the beach seaside theme needs to go completely and they're going to have to come up with something else. I think the only reason that places like the Santa Monica Pier or Coney Island were popular is because they're cheap. The rides are okay if you're spending $5 - $10, but no matter how you dress them up, they're not okay if you're spending $100. I certainly want them to keep Screamin and Toy Story, but I think they're going to have to come up with a completely different theme for that land. I'd love to see them expand the Yosemite Theme into part of Paradise Pier, but unfortunately with Little Mermaid right there that would be a bit of a challenge. I love Condor Flats and wish they could have made that a proper land but there's nothing more they can do with it now I don't think.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

My family has been to very few theme parks other than Disney, which meant DCA 1.0 was a great park to us even if it was not as good as Disneyland. However after DCA 2.0 opened I think all of us recognized the massive improvement over the previous version. So no, I don't think DCA sucks. It just needs a little bit of polish to push it towards greatness.

I have to agree with Big D, it still sucks & go even further & say that there is no amount of money that will be able to unsuck it. It needs creativity and daring to cure it and those are two talents that TDA is sorely lacking. It is a shell of a theme park. It is very pretty in parts but is not immersive. The one+ Billion dollars spent in renovation of one area gave us a single E ticket which lasts less than five minutes and two vapid B ticket attractions.

This is my guideline. For 5 straight days, I have $85 to spend for admission to one of the two parks. Which one do I choose? There is no question in my mind. DLand every time. It astounds me that people are clamoring for a third gate when the 2nd gate is still a mess.
    Give me back the parking lot anytime.
    The only redeeming value of DCA is that it does bleed off some of the guests from the real park. The more time that people spend at DCA means they are spending less time at Dland. That's just my opinion.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

• Goofy

and since it is a small park which also raises the staleness of dca so quick.

•   
    • Minion

I think for me it's about perspective. DCA is not on the same level as Disneyland, IMHO. Can I compare it to DLR? No. Do I spend as much time there as I do in DLR? Not at all. Can I enjoy it as a cute secondary park? Yes, very much. To me it's like looking at, say. Magic Kingdom vs. Hollywood Studios in WDW in Florida.

Visually I think DCA is absolutely beautiful, they did a great job with Buena Vista Street/Cars Land/Grizzly Peak, and Paradise Pier is gorgeous when it's all lit up at night. For me it's a nice change of pace from Disneyland. I agree with those who say it's not going to stand alone as its own park, without DLR, though.

I disagree that DCA is "not immersive"- CarsLand, Bug's Land, Buena Vista Street, are cute. I think the pier is pretty. I didn't grow up with seaside boardwalks so I can't say how much it "evokes" those but I like it for what it is.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I didn't find DCA that bad of a park, really. I came in not expecting Disneyland, and to get on a few good rides and a cool show or two, and so it was suitably good for that. It's still like 1/5th of what Disneyland is, but the rollercoaster and some of the rides are nothing to sneeze at. It can't hope to touch Disneyland's nostalgia-power since it's so new (though if they retrofitted some former Disneyland rides into the park as a retro-theme, that'd be cool to see), but I liked it better than Universal Studios, at least.

It's not worth staying all day, but it's alright to spend one part of a three-day trip to Disneyland there.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Does DCA suck? No, but it did at opening and still has a lot of flaws. Is it enjoyable? Yes. In fact, as an out of towner with family in OC, I m usually at the resort only one day. Next visit, it will be just DCA. There was so much I missed.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast