Grizzly River Run - Water Spout at end of ride question

After taking the ride a bazillion times and not getting really wet from the water spout at the end of the ride, I gotta think its set so people don't get nailed by it. Am I wrong?

We even watch others on the ride and it seems to go off before they get there or right under the tube.

Too many misses makes me think something is up.

• Dead men tell no tales.

Re: Grizzly River Run - Water Spout at end of ride question

The last two years I've been to DCA they've had it turned off. Then again, this is in the spring, they may have it on only when the weather is hotter.

• Loves Disney

It has gotten people before just takes forever, I camped out for about 20 mins taking pictures and I saw it happen I got two photos as it happened. Its not a drenching but it sure gets you wet. You can see the girl in the bright orange her reaction of getting sprayed by it

Geyser Pre-Strike by JAlejandro Photography, on Flickr

Geyser Strike by JAlejandro Photography, on Flickr

• Minion

I rode that 7 times in a row one afternoon, and never even knew that was there.

I believe it more of a gag. Wants to make people think they're gonna get soaked, but then turns off before the raft passes it. Every once in a while, it will get some rafts soaked.

• Thinking about doughnuts

You can absolutely get nailed by the geyser. It nails the people on the leading edge when the raft goes on top of it and it nails the people on the trailing edge when the raft moves past it. If the geyser is at its peak then you can get seriously wet. I hit the peak on the trailing edge. It was like having a 55 gallon drum of water dropped on me. Thankfully it was hot that day.

• SORCERER

Quote Originally Posted by Macro View Post
    You can absolutely get nailed by the geyser. It nails the people on the leading edge when the raft goes on top of it and it nails the people on the trailing edge when the raft moves past it. If the geyser is at its peak then you can get seriously wet. I hit the peak on the trailing edge. It was like having a 55 gallon drum of water dropped on me. Thankfully it was hot that day.
    Yep tjis happened to me back in feb it really sucked because as soon as the sun went down an hour later it was freezing and ended up having to leave early because my clothes never dried I feel like ti going to nail me now every time

There is times where its not on at all though.

The water spout is only in operation on hot days.
    I have spent some time watching for patterns or if triggered by the rafts.
    It is random and has no pattern, but can drench two or three rafts in a row.

On a busy hot day it will spray about one in four or five.
    It will also vary in time and height.

• Selfie Expert

My friends and I rode it 4 times in a row without getting off, and we were in bright yellow ponchos, so I think the CM recognized us. On our 4th run, the spout was on before, during, and after we went over it, and we got DRENCHED. This was last December.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    My friends and I rode it 4 times in a row without getting off, and we were in bright yellow ponchos, so I think the CM recognized us. On our 4th run, the spout was on before, during, and after we went over it, and we got DRENCHED. This was last December.
    This is similar to what happened to us. Even though this was back in 2007, I remember it well. We rode GRR three times in a row without getting off since it was early December and there was no line. After the second go-round, my brother in law jokingly gave the CM a hard time about how we weren't event getting wet. The CM asked if we wanted to and my brother in law said yes, very enthusiastically. We got to the spout and it did not cut off as it had when we approaced it the other two rides and we were soaked. No ponchos either. Thankfully we were planning on heading back to the hotel after that ride, but that experience has me convinced that the CM operating the ride can control when the spout goes and doesn't go.

• I Heart DL!

Call me paranoid but I think the CMs can control it. The only time the geyser didn't shut off right before we got to it was when they told me to put me feet down and I didn't listen. It was in December so we were pretty miserable. Lol lesson learned!

It's usually off when we ride. And when it is on, it always seemed like a scare rather than a real intent to soak. It would go off, then stop RIGHT before we went over it. But by the posts above, it could just be a timing thing.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

It usually goes off...but one time it didn't and we got...WET

• is poppin' tags

Quote Originally Posted by UTKingsFan View Post
    . After the second go-round, my brother in law jokingly gave the CM a hard time about how we weren't event getting wet. The CM asked if we wanted to and my brother in law said yes, very enthusiastically.
    Hmm. This really makes me think they have some control over it. Perhaps a manual over-ride on the controls? I seriously doubt they have a CM pushing a little button EVERY time the spout goes off, but they might be able to do it here and there if they choose to. I'm going to ask for extreme drenching next time...let's see what happens.
    For those of you that are curious about my wedding:
    http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/0...heather-tyler/

• Chief Troublemaker

It got us last September, but good! Luckily DH & I had put on shorts, flip flops, and our rain jackets in preparation. People looked at us like we were nuts when we zipped & hooded up. Got soaked from our seated bums to our toes. Then a quick trot to the room at the DGC to put on dry shorts & hang our wet things on the balcony. It's all good!

My rule is, bring it on GRR, but do NOT get my hair wet! Trust me, you do NOT want to feel my wrath!!!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"