Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: Shame on Disney: Annette Funicello

Ever the Pollyanna, I haven't given up hope yet. It's only been 10 days. The corporate wheels grind slowly. Maybe Disney is working on a memorial for Annette. Personally, I'd like to see some type of small garden, like a rose garden. Maybe near the Hub. Isn't there a little planted area on the south side of the rock entrance to TL, over by the Plaza Inn? I'm trying to picture it & can't remember if it's a flat-ish planted area or a terraced rock planted area.

I think roses for America's Sweetheart would be fitting.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Down Pluto!

Thanks Dusty, FreshBaked, Darth, et.al.

It didn't sound at all silly when I said it. It sounded funny, yet in some strange, humorous way - true. Over the top to be sure, but this is a forum, and if everyone shares the same opinions and posts same - the place becomes pablum. Often I say (type) what is on the top of my head with little thought, just feelings. Other times I think critically about issues and discuss in-depth.

The trick is in knowing which is which - which is not my job, it is the reader's. That there were responses to my post means some took it seriously rather than frivolously. It happens.

The importance of what I posted is that to many - myself included - Annette is by far the person held closer to our hearts and memories. She has a place inside us that became a part of us. Lowering a flag is at least, respectful. I - and others I'm sure - do not feel that way about Jobs. Personally I view him as a huckster, and do not view all that he had a hand in as HIS accomplishments, he just accepted and often demanded credit when it was the hard work and ideas of others that deserved the attention. I have far, far less respect for Jobs than Annette.

As far as Disney, I have posted in many threads here my feelings for the current management. They are on occasion capable of great things, but other times not only do they swing and miss, they're not even playing the game.

For what it's worth - with increased or decreased blather quotient...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Disneyland Dreamer

They did that for Jobs? He was a total equestrian's rear. Yet they won't do it for a TRUE Disney legend.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

While I disagree about the issue of a window on Main Street, USA, the lowering of the flags is an honor that should have been carried out across The Walt Disney Company.

In terms of Tony Baxter, he has not technically retired and this Disney is able to get around mentioning his "slight" change in job title.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I'm not sure why you're treating me as hostile. I'm not the least bit upset. I just don't understand this. People say this all the time about the parks, yet still go there all the time. I don't get it. I'm not targeting anyone's opinion. I'm curious. If I felt this way about a company, I wouldn't support it.
    How do you know the frequency of visits to Disneyland or any of the other Disney theme parks?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    I don't think Annette Funicello should be compared to Steve Jobs with his tribute. Does this mean everyone will be measured by the Steve Jobs metric?

Steve Jobs wasn't a pleasant person, but he was a technology innovator. Whatever he got, he deserved despite his personality.
    But none of that really relates to Disney except that he cultivated Bob Iger's first big acquisition that helped solidify his reputation as good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BasilofBakerStreet View Post
    I believe when Roy E. Disney passed away they at least lowered the Disney flags. Surprised that Annette didn't at least get that recognition which I thought they would do.
    Roy got Iger his job a few years early.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post

It didn't sound at all silly when I said it. It sounded funny, yet in some strange, humorous way - true. Over the top to be sure, but this is a forum, and if everyone shares the same opinions and posts same - the place becomes pablum. Often I say (type) what is on the top of my head with little thought, just feelings. Other times I think critically about issues and discuss in-depth.

The trick is in knowing which is which - which is not my job, it is the reader's. That there were responses to my post means some took it seriously rather than frivolously. It happens.

The importance of what I posted is that to many - myself included - Annette is by far the person held closer to our hearts and memories. She has a place inside us that became a part of us. Lowering a flag is at least, respectful. I - and others I'm sure - do not feel that way about Jobs. Personally I view him as a huckster, and do not view all that he had a hand in as HIS accomplishments, he just accepted and often demanded credit when it was the hard work and ideas of others that deserved the attention. I have far, far less respect for Jobs than Annette.

As far as Disney, I have posted in many threads here my feelings for the current management. They are on occasion capable of great things, but other times not only do they swing and miss, they're not even playing the game.

I agree completely. Steve Jobs was a snake in a suit, he was a smart,successful snake! but a snake nonetheless. Annette Funicello was as beautiful on the inside as she was on the outside, she had a spotless reputation in an industry full of scumbags. On top of that she was loved and adored by Walt Disney, he loved her like his own child. She was a true Disney legend and role model in every sense of the word.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    They did that for Jobs? He was a total equestrian's rear. Yet they won't do it for a TRUE Disney legend.
    I know =( its really disgusting isnt it?

• I'm from Canada eh!

From USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America

The Flag in Mourning To place the flag at half staff, hoist it to the peak for an instant and lower it to a position half way between the top and bottom of the staff. The flag is to be raised again to the peak for a moment before it is lowered. On Memorial Day the flag is displayed at half staff until noon and at full staff from noon to sunset.
    The flag is to be flown at half staff in mourning for designated, principal government leaders and upon presidential or gubernatorial order.
    When used to cover a casket, the flag should be placed with the union at the head and over the left shoulder. It should not be lowered into the grave.

While I don't hold the same amount of contempt for Jobs, I don't feel like the flag should have been lowered for him either.

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    From USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America

The Flag in Mourning To place the flag at half staff, hoist it to the peak for an instant and lower it to a position half way between the top and bottom of the staff. The flag is to be raised again to the peak for a moment before it is lowered. On Memorial Day the flag is displayed at half staff until noon and at full staff from noon to sunset.
    The flag is to be flown at half staff in mourning for designated, principal government leaders and upon presidential or gubernatorial order.
    When used to cover a casket, the flag should be placed with the union at the head and over the left shoulder. It should not be lowered into the grave.

While I don't hold the same amount of contempt for Jobs, I don't feel like the flag should have been lowered for him either.
    Are we sure the flag for jobs was not for something else? Or did the state of California decide to mourn the loss of Jobs?

Now onto Annette, honestly I don't know much about what she contributed to Disney. However if significant I think Disneyland should at least have a temporary acknowledgement of her contribution, maybe invite her surviving family to a short ceremony in the park?

• Senior Minion

This.

Too bad the Disney Corporation's values in this regard are just the opposite.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Thank you Sambo for your elaboration. I do apologize for coming across as unfriendly. It was the comment that got me going, not you personally. As I'm sure you're familiar, the problem with the internet is that there is so much to be read between the lines that it's sometimes impossible to discern ones true intent.

I respect the fact that you have a problem with Jobs, especially when compared to someone like Annette. My feeling was that the comment completely ignored the respect that Disney has and has always had for the flag. The flag is routinely lowered in memoriam, most recently this week for the fallen in Boston. The reference to Disney's love of money I felt disrespected this.

I feel like I'm rambling now. So much over so little I guess. Sorry again Sambo. Nothing but love for you

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Quote Originally Posted by xboxtravis7992 View Post
    Are we sure the flag for jobs was not for something else? Or did the state of California decide to mourn the loss of Jobs?

Now onto Annette, honestly I don't know much about what she contributed to Disney. However if significant I think Disneyland should at least have a temporary acknowledgement of her contribution, maybe invite her surviving family to a short ceremony in the park?
    No, in fact the flying of the US Flag on this occasion I believe goes against flag code. There does in fact need to be a decree from the President or State Governor. Disney is still free to fly its own flag as it wishes.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

Perhaps the protocol that governs how we treat each other could apply to the subjects of the discussion as well. In other words, can we talk about how best to honor Annette without trashing and name-calling Steve Jobs? He's not the one who decided she didn't get flags at half-mast. There's a way to have a respectful discussion about people you don't like or agree with without all the vitriol. Maybe we could get back to discussing what Annette deserves instead of lambasting a guy who isn't around to defend himself (not to mention a guy I doubt any of you knew personally).

• -

Maybe they can just serve Skippy peanut butter in her honor.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Blew By You

But as long as we made our own individual attempts to honor her, that's the best.

American Flag restrictions are for the American flag only. When Steve passed, the company flags were the only ones lowered.

It's just a flag. There have been many great people who have passed away and not have a flag lowered for them. It's okay. Disney chose to recognize how much she has contributed by other means.

It would've been nice if they did it, but I don't believe that Disney is completely disregarding her death just because they didn't lower their flags. It's like accusing your friend of being disrespectful because they decided to go shopping at the end of the day even though they did go to the funeral.

They paid their respects. They did memorialize her on the web and through an official statement. They don't need to lower their flag in order to show respect.

To some people respect means acknowledging and honoring her... to other people, acknowledge and her her means lowering a flag.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 04-18-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast