Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: Shame on Disney: Annette Funicello

They don't know we care.

They don't care, and it never occurred to them that we do.

Her illness kept her out of the spotlight for so many years that she was forgotten by many and never known by most.

All the time I am seeing on Yahoo as "trending" so-n-so-I've-never-heard-of dies.

The previous mouse that thought of Pollyanna and maybe a tribute to come? We can make that happen, meeska-mouseka-mooska. Just keep talking about it! You younger folks, go do Facebook things. Wait, we're all old folks who don't do Facebook? Sheesh.

I will go to Disneyland, souless corporation or not, because I have always liked what Walt made. and some of those pieces are still there.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

i might be in a minority in this thread but i for one don't think the flags should have been lowered for funicello, and not jobs either for that matter (but i can see why they did that - he was the largest single owner of disney and iger personally owed a lot of his early success as ceo as well as getting eisner fired to jobs). funicello got a nice mention too and is a disney legend so its not like disney never honored her contributions. also she was really only with disney during the 50s and early 60s, after which she made more of a name for herself as a beach party movie star. i'd imagine there's a long list of people that have been with disney for decades and were more instrumental to the company than funicello who also haven't gotten lowered flags or a window on main street.

• Minion

Disneyland is a special place to me. It played a big part in my childhood, my young adulthood (as a CM for ten years), and my present life as I continue to visit the park.
    For me I just separate the corporate side of the company and focus on what makes me feel good when I'm there.
    I do this because I know the difference between what was, and what is.
    Walt had a special place in his heart for the park and the people who worked for him. They were his family. So it comes as no surprise that the things that make me feel the best when I'm there nowadays are those things that have been at the park for a long time and have some sort of connection to him.
    The latest contributions that fall under contemporary corporate visions of the park don't impact me as strongly. I shrug 'em off and consider the source. Then go back to reveling in the things that make me think to myself what a great thing Walt brought to us.
    I allow myself to connect with those things that make the park special to me, and if that means ignoring the corporate center that has become the crux of the park, so be it.
    The fact is, I will always get something from my trips to Disneyland but usually it will come from those things that have stood the test of time at the park.
    And so many of those things have to do, not with today's leaders at Disney (or the past decade or so for that matter), but with Walt himself and the men with whom he worked and had a direct influence on....the men who continued his vision into the 70s and early 80s. Those are the things that make me smile most when I'm there.

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I'm not sure why you're treating me as hostile. I'm not the least bit upset. I just don't understand this. People say this all the time about the parks, yet still go there all the time. I don't get it. I'm not targeting anyone's opinion. I'm curious. If I felt this way about a company, I wouldn't support it.
    I think the jelly bean example that was given earlier explains how most people feel about this situation, hopefully that sheds some light on it for you. I see where you're coming from too, though.

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Oh come on, it's not just "anyone", its Annette Funicello! She's a Disney icon. Heck the ORANGE GROVE that Disneyland was built on has a window on Main St! Maybe they could stop putting up pointless windows like that and give Annette the window she deserves?

And it doesn't even have to be a window on main st, there are a million different ways they could honor her at Disneyland.
    There was a whole thread about the windows on Main Street and why she doesn't have one. There were some very solid points posted in there as well.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by explodingboy View Post
    I think the jelly bean example that was given earlier explains how most people feel about this situation, hopefully that sheds some light on it for you. I see where you're coming from too, though.

There was a whole thread about the windows on Main Street and why she doesn't have one. There were some very solid points posted in there as well.
    I think people on both sides of the argument have made solid arguments. At the end of the day it all boils down to opinion. Many people, including myself, believe that Annette is such a iconic figure for Disney that she deserves a window on Main St. Some people do not believe that it's necessary or even appropriate for her to have one, and that's fine too.

I just think it would be nice if they put some sort of tribute (even if its subtle) to Annette in the park. like I said before, it doesn't necessarily have to be a window.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Like I said before, it doesn't necessarily have to be a window.
    What about an entire "ANNETTE" themed LAND for DCA?

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Haha sounds good! Only if it includes a place for beach blanket bingo! Lol

• -

I think the writers of "Stand by Me" already gave her a very fitting tribute in the conversation that the boys were having around the campfire.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Wayne Allwine didn't get squat either back in 2009. Well, except for the weeklong monsoon at Disney World I ended up having to endure that was clearly a sign someone upstairs cared.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

i hope they do something for her
    but i doubt they will she hasnt been a big star for years

i would look to see them add a gallery of her timeline with Disney or something sweet
    nothing big

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBakedDisney View Post
    Thank you Sambo for your elaboration. I do apologize for coming across as unfriendly. It was the comment that got me going, not you personally. As I'm sure you're familiar, the problem with the internet is that there is so much to be read between the lines that it's sometimes impossible to discern ones true intent.

I respect the fact that you have a problem with Jobs, especially when compared to someone like Annette. My feeling was that the comment completely ignored the respect that Disney has and has always had for the flag. The flag is routinely lowered in memoriam, most recently this week for the fallen in Boston. The reference to Disney's love of money I felt disrespected this.

I feel like I'm rambling now. So much over so little I guess. Sorry again Sambo. Nothing but love for you
    Totally understand as I have done the exact same thing - as I'm sure many of us have. No need to apologize...

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    American Flag restrictions are for the American flag only. When Steve passed, the company flags were the only ones lowered...
    Yes - this is what I was thinking - not the flag of the U.S. Just company mourning and respect.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    My mind keeps drifting to what EXACTLY the Moondoggie attraction would be about...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Disneytwins
    American Flag restrictions are for the American flag only. When Steve passed, the company flags were the only ones lowered...
    Actually...they DID lower the American flag to half-staff for Steve Jobs. Here is the video:

Magic Kingdom American Flags at Half-Staff in Memory of Steve Jobs 10/10/11 Walt Disney World - YouTube

They did this at both resorts here in the US. I have nothing against Steve Jobs, I just think that they gave him the 'royal' treatment and find it very sad that they did not do the same for Annette Funicello. Jobs was a smart businessman, but thats about it. Funicello was a Disney icon, a gal that Walt Disney adored. Far more deserving of this honor than Jobs, in my opinion.
    Last edited by NineteenTwenty8; 04-20-2013 at 01:55 PM.

I believe a tribute is warranted, though it doesn't have to include lowering the flag or a window. Perhaps a display case in the area on Main Street where people wait to go into the Mr. Lincoln show. There is a lot of Disney and Disneyland memorabilia here. I'd love to see a "In Memory of Annette" display with her Mousketeer outfit, some photos of her with Walt, and maybe a video loop of some of her MMC performances.

•   
    • Minion

I'd like to hope that the silence from Disney is because they're taking the time to cook up something appropriate and meaningful for Annette. Hope springs eternal.

Disney only lowers the American flag in instances of presidential decree which was the case for them being lowered for jobs. Apparently everyone missed that day in school on proper flag etiquette so allow me to explain or rather copy and paste from a website.

'The flag is to be flown at half staff in mourning for designated, principal government leaders and upon presidential or gubernatorial order.'
    USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - Flag Etiquette

they can't just lower it for anyone don'tcha know!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345