Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Thumbs down Shame on Disney: Annette Funicello

When Steve Jobs passed away, Disney had all the flags at the Disney parks at half-staff. That includes the American flags as well as the "Disney" flags. However, they did not do this for Annette Funicello, an icon and Disney legend. Annette was like a daughter to Walt. She has done SO MUCH for this company and has been very very loyal. I think its a disgrace that Disney has never honored her with any type of tribute in the park (window on main st etc), I also think its a shame that she never even got the flags lowered to half-staff like billionaire executive Steve Jobs got.

Annette was a beautiful person inside and out, she loved Walt as well as the company he founded, she deserves to be honored at the park where she performed many times and actually contributed to the success of through the Mickey Mouse Club. I'll get off my soap box but I am just really upset that Disney seemingly forgot about this amazing legend that has done so much for them. It makes me seriously sick and sad.

Yes Bob Iger's comments in regards to her death were really touching and actually very nice. But it isnt enough (in my opinion) considering how much she has done.

• Minion

Re: Shame on Disney: Annette Funicello

I don't expect Disney to do nice and thoughtful things for their legends anymore. Tony Baxter "retired", what? A month or two ago? He contributed so much to Disneyland, and they didn't even announce his retirement on the Disney Parks Blog. I don't expect these things from Disney. It's sad and pathetic, really.
    Last edited by jasmineray; 04-18-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Senior Minion

I totally agree with the OP and jasmineray. Disney's response to Annette's passing and Tony's "retirement" reeks of corporate soullessness. At least there was a bit of warmth from Iger's words about Annette, but the way they handled Tony's departure was an insult.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Banned User

If Disney is really this soulless, corporate, money grubbing monster, then stop supporting them. Why go to the parks and complain???

• Disney Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    If Disney is really this soulless, corporate, money grubbing monster, then stop supporting them. Why go to the parks and complain???
    WHOA. Inhale. Exhale. It's going to be ok. It's an internet forum. Deep breaths. They are just expressing their dissatisfaction with something. Disney as a company, and it's parks are not perfect, and it's ok to talk about that. deep breaths.

• Minion

Sometimes people can't give up things that they love so much. It's like a parent that continues to love and somehow support their deadbeat kid.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CSei2011 View Post
    WHOA. Inhale. Exhale. It's going to be ok. It's an internet forum. Deep breaths. They are just expressing their dissatisfaction with something. Disney as a company, and it's parks are not perfect, and it's ok to talk about that. deep breaths.
    Thank you.

• Banned User

I'm not sure why you're treating me as hostile. I'm not the least bit upset. I just don't understand this. People say this all the time about the parks, yet still go there all the time. I don't get it. I'm not targeting anyone's opinion. I'm curious. If I felt this way about a company, I wouldn't support it.

• Disney Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Sometimes people can't give up things that they love so much. It's like a parent that continues to love and somehow support their deadbeat kid.
    I think this is a good way to sum it up.

And the parks play on nostalgia. I cannot think of ever not going to disneyland again. The parks mean so much to me, and make me happy. the people who own and run them dont. And I don't have to self control to punish myself and them with my lack of visiting.

• -

People aren’t going to like every flavor of Jelly Belly that comes in their 200 flavor assortment. That doesn’t mean that they will stop eating jelly beans, it just means they don’t like a few.

Just like with Disney. Some people don’t like everything the company does. It doesn’t mean that they will stop going to the park.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Obviously I get that, but the corporate argument is so loud, it seems like if they really felt that way, it would be a deal breaker. Like how people treat Wal-Mart.

I'm not sure why you're treating me as hostile. I'm not the least bit upset. I just don't understand this. People say this all the time about the parks, yet still go there all the time. I don't get it. I'm not targeting anyone's opinion. I'm curious. If I felt this way about a company, I wouldn't support it.
    People don't go to the parks in order to support the Disney Corporation, they go to the parks because they enjoy what the parks provide. Everyone pretty much ignores the corporate aspects of the company as long as what they still find what they are looking for in the products.

However, once the products no longer supply what people want (at the cost they charge), they will indeed stop "supporting" the company by ignoring their products.

I don't want to minimize OP's complaint, because I think it is worth noting at minimum. But when I see these, I often wonder how impossible a position the Disney company is in, when every single move, or non-move they make is dissected and cross referenced and over analyzed. I can't think of any organization at the moment that is not permitted to make a mistake to the degree that the Disney company is not.

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• -

Obviously I get that, but the corporate argument is so loud, it seems like if they really felt that way, it would be a deal breaker. Like how people treat Wal-Mart.
    It just happens to be the issue being discussed at this point, as that is what is currently sticking out. However, let them open some new attraction and people will be praising that. It all has to do with what is the current hot-button at the time.

As to how people treat Wal-Mart, they are always packed when I go in there, so I’m not sure what you are referring to.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• I'm from Canada eh!

I guess becoming a Disney Legend means nothing from a soulless corporation...

Disney Legends - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*cough* 1992 *cough*

It is sad that she passed and her life really was a big bucket of win, but if you are going to require a window or special ceremony for anyone who made a lasting impression on Disneyland you will need to build a much bigger park...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast