• The Lion King

5 21.74%
  • "Aladdin" Should Stay.

14 60.87%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• -

Re: New Show for Hyperion Theatre

Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    I don't know about Lion King. It would be too close to the musical on broadway, and I know it comes of Los Angeles once in a while.
    Actually, it would be a perfect opportunity for cross merchandising. They offer a watered down version of the show for free to pique people's interest, then sell tickets to the full version at the exit.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Pete's Dragon. Or just Helen Reddy singing "Candle on the Water" for 40 minutes.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

My vote goes for any Musical with a comedic character like Genie..like Tangled...Princess and the Frog...Mulan...Jungle Book...etc

The reason I say this is because while the show is great...Genie is really what makes it stand out and work well for the AP crowd since the jokes change and Disney should keep this in Mind

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    My vote goes for any Musical with a comedic character like Genie..like Tangled...Princess and the Frog...Mulan...Jungle Book...etc

The reason I say this is because while the show is great...Genie is really what makes it stand out and work well for the AP crowd since the jokes change and Disney should keep this in Mind
    i agree 100%

I'd say "other" or just keep it Aladdin

• Rrrrreecite!

I voted for Aladdin to stay. I think Finding Nemo musical at AK is awesome. Great staging, cool puppets, clever songs. However I feel the Hyperion is so Grand as a theater, they should have a show with equal grandeur. Aladdin is incredible for a theme park show, heck, even better than the Broadway show in the works (to be fair, I saw it twice here in Seattle and it was awful, hopefully things have changed). Mary Poppins would be great or even a tighter, slightly re-worked version of 'Believe' from the Disney Dream. The idea of a Hollywoodland revue (classic movie musicals as mentioned above) would be interesting but i hate to say that younger audiences may not connect with the material.

• revolutionary waltz

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post

I definitely agree with this. Aladdin is a great show, with some really nice production values, but what makes it so repeatable is the Genie. The Lion King (I'm assuming you're talking about the Broadway version) is an amazing, gorgeous show, but would seriously suffer from the necessary cuts that would take it from its current run time (ALMOST 3 HOURS) to even a barely acceptable time.

My vote would be for Mulan. It's a popular Disney entity, it does not have a Broadway adaption yet, and has a strong aesthetic with lots of great songs. Plus Mushu, as a comedic entity, could keep the show lively and varied. All of the other options that I can think of (assuming that this will be a musical created based on a known Disney property) are either "repeats" of pre-existing offerings (Beauty and the Beast, Tangled are both in Fantasy Faire now, The Little Mermaid has been done a million times over on both Broadway and Disney property) or wouldn't necessarily translate well to the format (Princess and the Frog has most of the 2 leads time spent as frogs, Hunchback might work with a Clopin narrator, but it's a very serious story).

Second choice would probably be Hercules, actually, even if it's not Disney's strongest movie.

Although, in regards to the "greatest hits of different musicals" idea. Would licensing agreements in theater allow that? I imagine that'd be a legal nightmare not really worth its time--you might as well just perform those full works at that rate.

• New Member Goes Forth

I want Aladdin to stay
    The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

• Minion

ORWEN: I voted for Aladdin to stay--but only because there wasn't anything better to vote for. An option for 'other' would have been best.

ORDDU: Having seen the Finding Nemo Musical show at Animal Kingdom, my sisters weren't very impressed with it. The visuals are nice enough but the music is TERRIBLE. (We shudder to think how Disney's next animated feature--FROZEN--will turn out if the same people writing the songs for it are the same people who wrote the songs for the Nemo stage show. Not one song was worth hearing.)

ORWEN: I think they could do something nice with Rapunzel and we had once heard a rumor that Disney was considering a stage show for Rapunzel in Florida to replace Beauty & the Beast but so far that hasn't happened.

Okay, so first I have to agree that newsies and mulan would be awesome,and Hunchback would be amazing if you could get someone who actually hit the last note of The Bells of Notre Dame, but I have a few other ones that are a little more out there. I don't know how well they would transition to stage, but it could be awesome.

Howl's Moving Castle or Spirited Away
    Muppet Treasure Island
    Nightmare Before Christmas

I like Aladdin. I've seen it a thousand times and I'll see it another batch, as often as I can.

Nemo-nah, I'm over it. Even the Toy Story musical is a meh. See it once, I'm done. It's not repeatable like Aladdin is.

If they absolutely have to put something new in, Jungle Book could be fun, or an edited version of the Lion King or Beauty and the Beast. A show with Mulan could be fun.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I'd rather see a show exclusive to DCA and one that would be a bit closer to the Hollywoodland theme. Golden Mickeys maybe?
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Grim Grinning

Quote Originally Posted by NDNation View Post
    Pete's Dragon. Or just Helen Reddy singing "Candle on the Water" for 40 minutes.
    This!! One of my favorite movies and it never really gets mentioned.

i love the Aladdin show

so if they do replace it i wont want Finding Nemo nor Lion King
    i always disliked the Toy Story idea...

a Snow White show would be killer but im kinda tired of seeing Princess all over Disney

a Alice In Wonderland musical would be amazing or go back to highlighting Mickey mouse
    maybe even a story of Walt Disney musical
    since it would fit with the old hollywood theme thats right next to them

there should be a none of the above choice.

Lion king has been done numerous times and enough with finding Nemo and Alladin has been around for enough years. Lets have something new

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast