Jab's Disneyland Trip Report

Hiya- I'm a new member, though I've lurked from time-to-time, and enjoy this site greatly. I figured I would post up my report of my trip to Disneyland- I'd been meaning to for a while (since it was in mid-October when I went , but better late than never. It seems plenty of people do this, though I posted this on another forum I visit a while ago, so there's probably a bunch of explanations you've all heard.

JAB'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE:

Okay, so I flew into Anaheim on Sunday and got into Disneyland at like 4 pm (it closed at 12 that day, so I figured it was a good use of my 3-day pass... I only had 4 days in town anyways), after having been flying most of the day (I got up at midnight the day before to get to the airport soon enough). I kind of made the trip on short notice, which is why it was at a rather busy time for Anaheim (there was a big conference on, and it was just before Halloween). I was staying at the Grand Californian, because stays in New York have addicted me to nice hotels, plus it was super-close to the parks!

I witnessed utter pandemonium with the crowds on the weekend (I expected that, as proximity to Halloween, the weekend AND the massive 19,000 person convention going on at the nextdoor Anaheim Convention Center was all happening at once). It was SERIOUSLY packed, and pretty much every ride had a 30-minute wait minimum. The worst part of the crowds was that it was hard to figure out where I was- people in every single corner of the park makes it difficult to just sit down and read the map, and I couldn't really make out most of the signs & locations easily anyways. So it kind of sucked at first, but it thankfully died down big-time at night, especially once the fireworks/Fantasmic started. ESPECIALLY since what passes for "cold" in Southern California turned most of the park into a ghost town after a point. Thank goodness I'm Canadian and can take "cold".

I got in again Tuesday morning, doing the early-Magic-Hour thing (since Disneyland Resort guests get into the parks an hour before the plebians who stay at other hotels do), and rode Space Mountain twice in a few hours, requiring almost no wait (the guidebooks ain't kidding when they tell you to get there early- the locals who use their Annual Passes don't come in till later, and most people party too hard to go to bed early enough to wake up that early). Between the quiet Sunday night and Tuesday morning, I did most of the rides a few times over. The only thing I missed out on was The Enchanted Tiki Room, and I remember that sucking from the last time I was at Disneyland in 1998, so it's no big (I wouldn't gone in, but the rides closed at 11 on Tuesday instead of 12 like they initially said- what they REALLY mean is that the stores and shops remain open that long).

There was some stuff closed for refurbishments- the miniature thing (for the Casey Jr. Train and boats) and the Indiana Jones Adventure. The latter is kind of a bummer, but I rode it a LOT at 17 and so I wasn't too upset. I still remember the time it broke down and some guy came to give us a walk-through tour of the thing instead, which is way cooler than the actual ride (I recommend this to anyone, actually- is there a way to get those behind-the-scenes tours?). Overall, Disneyland is an AWESOME experience, and even when it's busy you can just enjoy all the stuff around you- I'd highly recommend it, especially if you're into the neat rides. Were I to make another trip, I'd probably choose a less-busy time (ie. not around a holiday or a major Convention).

It got REALLY busy in the afternoon (I can't imagine eating here that often- short of fast food, you'd be wasting tons of time by sitting down to eat- though I would've liked to go to the Blue Bayou (that restaurant you see in "Pirates" just as you take off), and the post-6 pm "Halloween Theme" night was MONSTROUSLY busy as well- the park was inundated with young children looking for treats, and all sorts of people there to see the Halloween Fireworks. Oh, and also? Anyone who drives "Fat People Carts" all day at Disneyland- Up Yours. Those things are MURDER to get around, and they take up so much space that it's ridiculous they're so common. The whole "Fat People Cart Culture" in our society drives me up the wall.

Individual attractions:

Critter Country (basically a small lump at one side of the park):

* Splash Mountain- as fun as ever, and I dig the little story and the ambiance of the ride. I never got QUITE as wet as they always warn you (though some people did), and the drop isn't as impressive as it was to 17-year old Jab, but it's still fun. And like I said, the slight breeze kept most Californians away- there was literally almost NO WAIT for all three times I rode it. I could've basically did it again and again if I wanted to. Funny, because this is one of the Super-Headliners of the park.

* Winnie the Pooh's thing- generic, silly ride with less of a story. Fine for kids.

Main Street:
    * I love browsing and buying candy and junk, and there's tons of cool art out here (a $37,000 glass Sleeping Beauty Castle in a window is GREAT). Main Street has this great nostalgic vibe, which is funny given how far away most of us are removed from the early-1900s Main Street era.

* The Abraham Lincoln thing- A good, classic bit. Unfortunately there were some a capella singers doing their thing to make the show extra-long, so I kinda got bored (I mean, patriotic American songs to a Canadian really do nothing), and was almost zoned out by the time Abe-Bot started talking. I was a bit too far away to see the detail on him that closely, too. The best part is the whole historical thing showing old Disneyland stuff, and scale models of Sleeping Beauty Castle and The White House.

Adventureland (sort of the "Exciting adventure" attractions- probably the highest population density for crowds)

* The Jungle Cruise- always entertaining, and most people can quote the whole thing by memory, with all of the terrible puns ("there's our... Head Salesman"). The cheapie animatronic animals are now dated as all get-out, though the new "Jungle Cruise" movie scheduled to come out may result in a refurbishment- though hopefully they can fix that rather quickly, since if the movie comes out, the ride will be super-popular again. Though it might ruin some of the fun of the ride to see new animatronics instead of old, crappy ones .

* Tarzan Treehouse- The poor Swiss Family Robinson House is now this- a little thing about the movie, with a few statues (mmm... Jane..., with one heck of a "Come Hither" look too, I might add) and notes about their lives. I guess no kid nowaday shas ever heard of the aforementioned family, so it's no big loss. The updated things are more advanced anyhow- I barely remember the old attraction.

New Orleans Square (kind of a pain to get to, since it's stuck on the edge of two other Lands. Not fun to traverse during crowded times):
    * The Haunted Mansion- this was set up with a "Nightmare Before Christmas" theme, and was pretty fun, though I like the normal phase better with it's creepy low-voiced narrator and ghosts. I was never really a Burton-ite, though his fans are probably happier than pigs in excrement with this thing. It's the second most-crowded attraction after Space Mountain, thanks to the current theme.

* Pirates of the Caribbean- Still the major super-headliner, though surprisingly never really busy. The whole "Jack Sparrow" addition is controversial (as is the super-PC "Women With Rolling Pins Chasing Pirates" replacing the "Pirates Trying to Rape Women" thing), and I find it disconcerting mainly for how out-of-place it looks. All the other pirates are quite cartoony and old-fashioned, while Jack basically looks exactly like Johnny Depp as the character. It's like they put Sparrow on with a rivet gun, and centred a few of the scenes around him.

Frontierland (stuff about the Wild West, since Walt built the park when Western stuff was SUPER-popular, and was probably a fan himself).
    * Big Thunder Mountain Railroad- not that busy, and still fun. I liked the imagery more than the fairly low-key (though sharp-corner-turning) Rollercoaster. Oddly, they're closing this for the majority of 2013 to fix it up, and I'm not sure with what.

* Mark Twain Riverboat- this is pretty fun actually- I skipped it last time I guess. A big ol' Riverboat reminds me of "The Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck" and it's explanations of them, and there's some cheap-looking old-timey animatronic animals to be seen on the journey around Tom Sawyer Island, which I always get a kick out of.

* Tom Sawyer Island/Pirates Lair- A fun playground for kids, with some cool tunnels not designed for anyone over 5'5" (Seriously- ouch) containing some pop-out skeletons and stuff. A nice way to blow 45 minutes or so, and kids would like it more. Some "Pirates of the Caribbean" stuff has inundated this area, too- I never saw the original Tom Sawyer Cabin or any of that (not that any kids would even know who that is these days).

* Unfortunately the rad Sailing Ship Columbia was set up for Fantastmic & other stuff, so it wasn't used. That thing is a thing of BEAUTY.

More later!
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 04-19-2013 at 01:07 AM.

• Selfie Expert

Re: Jab's Disneyland Trip Report

Very interesting report. Curious to see what more you'll be adding to it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Fantasyland (the "generic" land with mainly Disney movie-related stuff):

* Alice in Wonderland- Some decent cartoon animatronics, though pretty forgettable.

* It's a Small World- Some people are so dumb- this has been advertised on the "
    www.disneyland.com" site as being closed for repairs after Oct. 21st, and people STILL didn't get it. I knew a month ahead of time that I would have exactly one day to see it. It's as mind-numbingly-brain-hurting as they say, but still a necessary visit for the park. It's just so quirky and old-timey- some purists get upset over the inclusion of a few Disney characters in the old "identical puppets wearing ethnic garb" displays, but purists get upset over everything. Would they prefer the park stay as it did in 1955, with terrible old rides?

* I skipped Dumbo, the Tea Party, the Carrousel and other kiddie rides. They're fun to look at, but I can't imagine waiting in line to spin in teacups. The Carrousel is a work of ART, though.

* The Matterhorn- Fun as always. WAY too long a line-up considering that it's an ancient rollercoaster (1959!) with cheap animatronics, but I like the whole theme. I stayed in line for like 35 minutes one day because I failed to notice the "Singles Line" way up front- dangit.

* Mr. Toad's Wild Ride- Arguably the most fun ride in the park, despite being more ancient and behind-the-times than anything else there. Way more fun than the more-advanced Alice, Peter Pan & Pinocchio.

* Peter Pan's Flight- Quite advanced puppetry (though apparently only from 1983's updated version, which is quite impressive. Though I guess I'm easily impressed by 3-D moving figures) and a really nice set-up, particularly the London-At-Night bit, though the wait (I waited until after the Halloween thing started and was stuck there for almost half-an-hour- this thing loads SLOWLY) kind of spoils it. Not a major thing, though.

* Pinocchio's Daring Journey- Generic dark-animatronic ride. Not very interesting (more just "hey, here's some scenes from that movie!"), but those kids turning into donkeys... *shudder*. In a funny bit of personification/anthropomorphization, someone on a Disney forum actually points out that they "feel bad for" this ride, because it almost NEVER has a long line, no matter how busy the park is.

* Snow White's Scary Adventures- Generic dark ride like the others, though the Witch is like "Childhood Nightmare Fuel" incarnate. She just keeps showing up to freak you out.

Mickey's Toontown (what was going to be "Mickey Land" and got fixed to the popular Roger Rabbit thing when his movie came out):
    * Mickey & Minnie's House- more fun for the puns & historical stuff- it's basically a set of well-decorated lines for kids to meet the Mice- I bailed before those points since I didn't care about that bit.

* A bunch of kid play-areas for the most part- some Boat, a Treehouse, etc. Gadget's Go-Coaster is now easily the most-obscure Disney character reference in the park ("Rescue Rangers" was a heck of a long time ago).

* Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin- a fun ride, but ridiculously busy most of the time. Fastpass made it easier, though.

Tomorrowland (beacon of "What 1950s People Thought The Future Would Be Like", which is fun in and of itself):
    * Space Mountain- one bugger of a popular ride, and for good reason. The indoor roller-coaster things makes for a cool visual, and the craziness of being chased by Ghost Galaxy space-phantom is great. Unfortunately, I've never ridden the "actual" ride, since it was down when I came last time (more than ten years ago). The ambiance is terrific thanks to the darkness and the starfield backdrop. GET THERE EARLY- this is the most popular ride in the park, and Fastpasses are gone by noon, with hour-long lines the rest of the time.

* Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters- A "Lazer Tag" thing, but on a ride in a moving area. It's pretty popular so I only rode once, but I could've done it again. Fun stuff- the Toy Story movies' popularity makes me wonder why they didn't do all of this sooner.

* Captain EO- Yes, they brought back the SUPER-80s Michael Jackson 3-D attraction. It`s just SO dated that you can't help but love it. MJ teams up with some stereotypically-80s aliens (including one so incompetent that he should have just killed him- HE ATE THE MAP TO THE BAD GUY?!?). Any movie where the hero defeats the Evil Empire by singing and dancing at them to turn them into '80s dancers (spoiler alert!) is awesome. The music is LOUD, though- apparently I didn't deafen myself with my headphones like my parents always warned I would, because this is like ear-bleedingly-intense.

* Finding Nemo Thing- an underwater submarine ride with apparently legendary line-ups (I spent more time just waiting for the sub to unload than waiting on Sunday night). I never saw all of "Nemo", and the ride mainly has some animatronics with a bunch of clips of the movie (really, if I wanted to watch clips I'd just BUY THE FREAKING MOVIE!!), so I don't get the big screaming deal.

* Innoventions- a space-filler with some advanced tech and "The Home of the Future". I'd kind of prefer the 50s-style Jetsons-ish futuristic stuff because it's so quaint- this just seems like shallow advertising and space-filler.

* Star Tours- Epic line-ups, but I got there early. Unfortunately I didn't realize there were multiple "variations" of locations to visit in this 3-D sit-down ride, so I only went on it once (I saw the underwater Gungan world and Kashyyyk with a Wookie windshield encounter). Pretty okay, but I wasn't majorly into it. I liked the old Robot Host better than C-3PO as an accidental driver.

* I skipped Autopia and the other things since they were more kiddie. Tomorrowland is EASILY the most overall crowded part of the park, with swarms of people all over the place.

"Fantasmic" is OH SO AWESOME. It was unbelievably rad, and much better than "World of Color" (which is really just a bunch of montages from films)- Mickey (a live actor) has a dream, which soon becomes a nightmare, as Maleficent, Ursual and the Evil Queen team up to summon CHERNOBOG (aka the pants-crapping nightmare god of "Fantasia") while Peter Pan & Captain Hook fight aboard the Columbia pirate ship. Maleficent turns into a 40-foot animatronic DRAGON, before Mickey goes all "oh yeah, you're tough- but this is MY imagination!" and blows her the hell up with a fireworks display. EPIC. Did I miss this the last time I was at Disneyland? I don't remember it at all, and I think it would have.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 04-19-2013 at 11:22 PM.

• Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Oh, and also? Anyone who drives "Fat People Carts" all day at Disneyland- Up Yours.

May you never have the need of an ECV.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Atari Adventure View Post
    May you never have the need of an ECV.
    This.

Sorry if my mother, who happens to be a disabled Vietnam veteran and used an ECV at Disneyland - or someone just like her - was an inconvenience to you.

May you never have heart trouble, cancer, or any other condition that requires you to use an ECV - and suffer the derision and judgment of complete strangers on top of it.
    Last edited by Malina; 04-20-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Oh, I have no problem with actual disabled people using them. But when the people using them can walk just fine and are just overweight? Especially when they drive around at top speed and get in everyone else's way? Drives me nuts, especially because it's such a rarity where I'm from. I take the side of the "South Park" people on this one, sorry.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Oh, I have no problem with actual disabled people using them. But when the people using them can walk just fine and are just overweight? Especially when they drive around at top speed and get in everyone else's way? Drives me nuts, especially because it's such a rarity where I'm from. I take the side of the "South Park" people on this one, sorry.
    Not to argue with you, but there really isn't any way to know if someone can "walk just fine." I could name a host of legitimate conditions and medications that can cause someone to be overweight AND too exhausted to walk all day - chemo bloating and prednisone for lung disease, to start- and I could also point out that disabilities aren't always apparent. Unless you've talked to someone or you have their medical report you don't know what their deal is at all. And walking a few steps doesn't mean someone can walk all day long at the park.

I realize you're new, so I'm not trying to jump on you here, but the point is - if you don't know someone's story you can't judge them. Rude people are rude regardless if they're on an ECV. Maybe if you see someone on an ECV you can feel grateful you don't need one. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Malina; 04-20-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Interesting point of view...

I have a tendency to be pretty blunt at times, and yeah, many of those people could be really negatively disabled. You are correct in that. I'm just a venting crankypants . I'm pretty grateful that I'm able to keep in respectable condition and don't look like a member of the Balaenoptera genus like a lot of these people. I wouldn't mind 'em if they'd keep their carts to a slower pace (I walk FAST, so if they're overtaking ME, they're going pretty hard) and watch where they were going.

---

I saw fairly few characters aside from Parades- the only major one I would have marked out for would be Uncle Scrooge thanks to the awesome comics about him. I saw a bunch of the Princesses in the meet & greet (meant for young children and perverted adult males , and let me just say that YEEEEOOOOOWWWW- some of these girls are attractive. I learned later that most of them are actresses that play multiple Princesses- this might be why the ethnic princesses are more rare- they gotta pay one girl to play one role. I vote Aurora as the most beautiful one there, though Belle is always unquestionably awesome and spectacular. Cinderella is a close call. I was gonna check out the Pixie Hollow thing, but it's kind of hidden, and the line-up is just as bad (I poke fun at the "Multi-Racial Team Dynamic" thing and the whole commercialization of Tinker Bell, but OH WOW does it ever work for drawing the fans).

The only unfortunate things about the whole "Princess" deal are that it leaves out some pretty good heroines just because they aren't princesses (not that Mulan is really one anyways- and how is The Beast a Prince if his family is never seen? Shouldn't he just be a King?), and that many of the characters are the same old "I want MORE" girl after a point. Merida was included with the girls this time around (I didn't see Rapunzel or the "ethnic" Princesses aside from Tiana either), but was played by the same typical beautiful young woman type rather than a teenage girl. Disney makes a TON of money off of this whole deal as well- something like $3 BILLION a year!

The line-up there is pretty long, and mostly full of little kids, so I didn't wanna stick around for pictures. It seems a bit creepy to me to have a grown man ask to have his picture taken with a girl who is obligated to smile and be nice to you. Two guys in line did just that, and Ariel pretty much gave a "SIGH" reaction before laughing it off. I wonder if they get that sort of thing a lot.

Some of the shops are pretty great- Downtown Disney is a cool shopping district, and they have a Disney store the size of a department store there! There's some GREAT anime-style artwork of the Princesses on some shirts, but sadly they're all shirts for little girls, so I didn't feel like buying them . Funny moment- at one point, I was admiring a series of pictures on a random package I saw, and people kind of walked by giving me some odd, lingering looks. I then realized that I was holding a package of little girls' panties in my hand. Put THAT one away real quick!

California Adventure (the poor child of the franchise -edit: they edit out b*stard? But what if I was talking about the sword ?) was on Monday, and it's pretty good- there's some haters, and it's nowhere near as good as Disneyland, and it's more a random assortment of rides and attractions instead of any coherent thing (lots of space-filler, and parts of the park resemble either old-timey Los Angeles or a Generic Theme Park), but it's still okay. And MAN is that "Cars Land" with it's Radiator Springs ride a huge attraction- people were literally RUNNING there on the Magic Hour, creating an hour-long line-up within TEN MINUTES of early-park opening. People were waiting in the Fastpass lane EVEN THOUGH IT WASN'T OPEN FOR ANOTHER HOUR. I never understood the appeal of "Cars"- both movies were at-best "alright", and never very good, and yet little kids (specifically boys) eat that stuff up with a spoon and the toys sell millions. Considering how much of the Disney & Pixar franchises is a thousand times better than "Cars", yet the movies get all this hype upsets me. You suck, "Cars". However, the Mater puppet/animatronic in the attraction was probably the most-advanced such creation I've ever seen- it literally looks and acts just like the film character.

The whole "It's Tough to be a Bug" performance (part of "a bug's land", with mostly kiddie rides) is fun just for the crazed reaction from children, though it's not as awful as some parents have complained (the Unofficial Guidebook has some HILARIOUS notes from parents who witnessed their children absolutely loosen their bowels in the theatre). Basically it's a normal 3-D theatre thing (with some water and air spraying you), until BOOOOOM!! The giant grasshopper dude from the movie pops in as a super-advanced 20-foot tall animatronic monster, he screams at the audience repeatedly, then drops black widow spiders the size of watermelons directly over your head. Holy CRAP- entertaining as heck, if only for watching the children around you shriek with mortal terror at the real-ish looking spiders.

Other stuff:
    * Disney Animation- A great, interesting museum-ish thing about various aspects of animation. They had lots of models and sets from "Frankenweenie" (ie. the actual ones from the movie), a phenomenal 3-D Zoetrope of "Toy Story" characters (inspired by a "Totoro" one at the Miyazaki Museum in Japan), lots of animation-themed stuff, a class on "How To Draw" (Winnie the Pooh and others- mostly drawn from grids and circles), and more. "Turtle Talk with Crush" is a Nemo-themed thing where a CGI Turtle actually talks in real-time with the audience, using some high-tech stuff.

* Monsters Inc.- It's funny how long it took this park to become a Pixar-themed thing. Really, those movies do SO WELL they were almost foolish to wait as long as they did, though I'm sure there are complainers. It's a pretty generic dark ride, though I like the way the chameleon guy changes colour when Boo bonks him (one of his spots is a Hidden Mickey!). Dark rides are hard to screw up- even mediocre ones are still quite good.

* Muppet-Vision 3-D- It's always good to see the Muppets around. Fozzie doing his hokey comedy is great, as is Statler & Waldorf (as actual puppets in the Muppet Theatre you're sitting in- yes it's a life-size version of the theatre from the show) insulting members of the audience ("That's a great Halloween mask!.... Oh, I'm sorry, ma'am"). I actually forget most of this oddly enough, but it was good.

* California Screamin'- A SERIOUS Rollercoaster, almost appearing out of place except for the whole "Generic California Theme Park" concept. This is actually the first real coaster I ever rode, and it was pretty fun. I actually dig the whole "being thrown around and looped about thing". The only problem, oddly? Three tiny little hills at the end, where you just kinda go up and down very quickly. Yeah, apparently that's a motion-sickness inducer, so I didn't eat anything for like an hour . Thankfully I have a cast iron stomach (I hadn't barfed in seven years... well there was one time and beer was to blame, but that only happened once).

* Twilight Zone Tower of Terror- Hey, guess what ride is REALLY BAD TO RIDE after you get motion sickness? It's a fun little theme based off of the TV show (one that I've never seen, though is apparenly required-viewing by all writers ever), culminating in a giant seating-arrangement basically throwing you up and down a seven-story building. Uh, yeah, not a fan of rises and sudden drops, apparently. A great overall attraction, though. It's apparently much different than the Disney World version (which sends you around one room- this one never leaves the elevator shaft).

* The Little Mermaid- This is very underrated- people are complaining that it's worse than "Pirates of the Caribbean"... well NO KIDDING- that's one of the best theme park rides EVER. The animatronics are very well done (you have skin-baring puppets actually moving about without noticeable fakery), and it captures the overall story. The only "issue" is that it's ridiculously colourful given the theme, making the "dark ride" less able to draw you in with it's scenery- it's as cartoony as it gets.

* Grizzly River Run is a bit simple- just a big raft-ride around not-very-steep waterfalls. If any ride requires some bigger scares and animatronic animals, it's this one. It gets a HUGE amount of hype from people, though (and is apparently the best raft ride ever). Unfortunately I only rode once, and it apparently gives you different experiences sometimes (like dark caverns and stuff).

* Soarin' Over California- Patrick Warburton is your pilot (!!!), taking you in some big hanging chair things over a giant 3-D screen of Californian sites. It's a huge part of the park (I got in ahead of most lines, thanks to being a Resort Guest), but is rather weird in parts. You're supposed to feel like you're actually flying over California all immersive and stuff, except you can often see the top of the screen, and most of the scenes have direct transitions to the next scene- would it kill them to add some fades or "you're flying over a dark spot and pop out at another location" stuff? It's literally just "you're flying over a beach and suddenly you cut to a different thing".

* Toy Story Midway Mania- Sorta like the Astro Blasters in Tomorrowland, but with 3-D imagery and laser stuff instead of a "moving animatronics" thing. This is SERIOUSLY popular, as a new ride featuring the most popular cartoon franchise ever, but I liked the first ride better, since it's a dark ride/animatronic thing and not just shooting and pictures on a screen. I assume it takes a while to get good at it, because while I thought I was doing okay, I only got 65,000 points and the top for the day was over 300,000.

Overall I still liked it, and stayed there all day (Early Magic Hour till it closed at 8 pm), though I could've cut a few hours off to go back to Disneyland (I had a park hopper ticket) but didn't feel like bouncing around all day. Thematically, it's much weaker. "World of Color" looks cool, but it's really just a selection of "Greatest Hits".
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 04-20-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    Not to argue with you, but there really isn't any way to know if someone can "walk just fine." I could name a host of legitimate conditions and medications that can cause someone to be overweight AND too exhausted to walk all day - chemo bloating and prednisone for lung disease, to start- and I could also point out that disabilities aren't always apparent. Unless you've talked to someone or you have their medical report you don't know what their deal is at all. And walking a few steps doesn't mean someone can walk all day long at the park.

I realize you're new, so I'm not trying to jump on you here, but the point is - if you don't know someone's story you can't judge them. Rude people are rude regardless if they're on an ECV. Maybe if you see someone on an ECV you can feel grateful you don't need one. Just a thought.
    THIS all the way! There is no way you can know what someone is going through. You can be overweight and need a wheelchair because you might not be able to walk. Or you might be overweight because you can't walk. My husband has M.D. and people used to make all kinds of assumptions when he could walk sometimes and other times he couldn't. Now he can't walk at all and he's put on weight. I recently went through a serious illness myself and had to use one, even though I could walk a bit, no way could I walk through an entire land, I was grateful to have it. And yes, next time you see someone in an EVC, be very grateful you have health and the gift to be able to walk.

Maybe I'm reading this TR wrong, but Jabroni sounds like a huge Debbie Downer that could suck the life outta anything fun!!

• MargyDisneylandLover

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post

this my father has a only 50% lung capacity due to years of his job..now he is very overweight due to the disability of not being able to move due to lack of oxygen...if it was not for the ECVS my father would not be able to enjoy the one place that has brought him joy since age 7...shame on you for thinking that all fat people are just lazy!
    My Name Is Margy and I am a mint julepaholic.
    Disneyland freak since my first trip when I turned 6 months old...september 1987!!
    "I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    ~* Uncle Walt *~
    2014 gumball rally team: Skyway sweethearts

​Proud premium Annual Passholder since May 2nd, 2014

Great report!
    For the love of Disney....

• Disneyland Dreamer

Pretty in depth trip report, quips aside.